Singapore Expats

Which local schools do expat kids attend?

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
janWil

Which local schools do expat kids attend?

Post by janWil » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 9:37 am

My eldest son is primary school age next year. We are expats in Singapore but can't afford int'l school fees. Just wondering exactly WHICH local schools expat kids are going to? Is there anyway of finding out besides a survey on this forum?
Basically, I think it would be great if my son could go to a local school where there are already lots of other expat children, so he doesn't feel the odd-one out or get picked on for being 'different'.
Any thoughts?

uest

local school

Post by uest » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:04 pm

Ok, I’ll tell you.

I have one of my daughters attending local school secondary 4. I had no other choice but to send her there. It wasn’t too critical for me, as she was a student at our home country at the same time (kind of distance education). She has done her secondary school diploma there already. As per local school, I wouldn’t call this a school at all. Lessons last for 35 minutes and teacher is always late by 5-10 minutes. What can she learn during 25 minutes? Teachers do not answer pupil’s questions. The average level of the stream is just above the ground. Only six subjects and half of them just a bullshit like an accounting. No conditioners at school. A lot of extra activities that isn’t related to education. Each time I have had to deal with people at school left me with hard deposits inside.
All rumors that you have heard about “super-pooper”

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 7:54 pm

I have heard that Bukit Timah primary school has a few expat kids there. In a recent survey in the Straits Times, Bukit Panjang had about 20% foreign students (bearing in mind this covers expats of all races and nationalities - not just caucasians).

I have heard too, that Balestier Hill (not sure of the spelling here) was once Swiss Cottage and that a few expats were sending their kids there.

Good luck.

LizL

Post by LizL » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 1:28 pm

We're in the same dilemma. The International Schools are so expensive, and we'd really like our son to learn Mandarin (the twice a week average of most International Schools doesn't seem quite enough...) I'm looking into the local system as an alternative, but has anyone had positive experiences or am I wasting my time? Also how easy is it to adjust to another system when we eventually move country??
LizL

juchi

Post by juchi » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 1:19 am

LizL wrote:We're in the same dilemma. The International Schools are so expensive, and we'd really like our son to learn Mandarin (the twice a week average of most International Schools doesn't seem quite enough...) I'm looking into the local system as an alternative, but has anyone had positive experiences or am I wasting my time? Also how easy is it to adjust to another system when we eventually move country??
try Opera Estate Primary School, near Siglap , East Coast. I love it and my Kids Too :)

shuk

Parent of Primary School aged Children (age 6 +)

Post by shuk » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 5:01 am

Hello all,

I am moving to Singapore at the end of September and have just this Monday 30th secured by 6 year old son's admission into a local Primary school (Stamford Primary) near tro where I will be living in Lavender area.

Despite my brother and his gf living in Singapore and helping me with my son's Primary One registration and enrollment, it really was a very stressful process in identifying suitable local schools and under-going teh overall enrollment process, particularily as I am a single mother and have had to initiate everything from so far away (I live in the UK).

I know need to sort out arrangements for my son for when I arrive ie. possible Kingergarten or Childcare centre enrollment or even looking into finding a tutor......anything to minimise or disrupt his education

However, if there are any expat parents of young children that would like to get in touch or even possibly meet up at some point then I would be really interested. Feel free to message me privately :-)

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:01 pm

There are a number of expat kids at Henry Park Primary and Pei Tong Primary.

LindaJ

Post by LindaJ » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:41 pm

Any suggestion for nursery school for 3 and 5 year olds around Tangung Rhu area? I heard that most schools in Singapore admit children only in January. Is that true?

caroexpat

Expat children in local schools

Post by caroexpat » Thu, 14 Oct 2010 8:33 pm

Hi!

I am moving to Singapore from Hong Kong and have been doing some research regarding my five year old attending a local school. We too cannot afford an International School but I am reading a lot of worrying comments about getting your child into a school let alone a good one. My son will six in may next year so I think we have time to sort it out I am just worried wether he will continue his progress he has made at his school here. He is currently in P1 here but I believe he will have to go back to K2 in Singapore. Is this correct? So I am concerned he will go backwards instead of forwards.

Also we have to find a kindergarten but is it right that most of them do not do full days, 9am-3pm for example. We are thinking about moving to the east coast area, is this a good move?

Very worried and concerned in HK

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular

Post by fatmouse76 » Thu, 14 Oct 2010 9:40 pm

In local schools, caning is only carried out when the child has done something really wrong like smoking in the school, vandalism,etc

However , being a local, I am shocked to know that in Primary school, a child has been slapped ?? :o it is against the law for teachers to hit a child ..perhaps no one had complained about the teacher.

Can you share which school was that ?

iien

Re: local school

Post by iien » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 6:57 pm

[quote="uest"]Ok, I’ll tell you.

I have one of my daughters attending local school secondary 4. I had no other choice but to send her there. It wasn’t too critical for me, as she was a student at our home country at the same time (kind of distance education). She has done her secondary school diploma there already. As per local school, I wouldn’t call this a school at all. Lessons last for 35 minutes and teacher is always late by 5-10 minutes. What can she learn during 25 minutes? Teachers do not answer pupil’s questions. The average level of the stream is just above the ground. Only six subjects and half of them just a bullshit like an accounting. No conditioners at school. A lot of extra activities that isn’t related to education. Each time I have had to deal with people at school left me with hard deposits inside.
All rumors that you have heard about “super-pooper”

anzac74

Post by anzac74 » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 3:06 am

Hi @ll,

I have just arrived to Singapore. My family will join me this summer.
The more I look into International Schools, the more I like the local school option. Could anyone let me know the steps to join one? Does it depend from the area we live?
If my kids (2 and 9) finish school/kindergarten in Europe in July and I want them to join here in Aug-Sep, would they start in the same grade until December?
I know it's a pile of questions but any help here would be greatly appreciated :-)
Regards

EEL

Post by EEL » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 2:31 pm

boffenl wrote:There are a number of expat kids at Henry Park Primary and Pei Tong Primary.
I rang Henry Park Primary and they said they will only admit PRs and singaporean citizens. - shame as it looks like quite a good school

Wivelsfield

Post by Wivelsfield » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:50 pm

Tanjong Katong Primary good and receptive to Expats

cleebee

Post by cleebee » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:25 pm

My child just started p1 in a local school. I'm American and my husband is Singaporean. We both felt that it was important for her to learn mandarin, and International Schools are just too expensive. We had planned to let her go to local school for a few years and then transfer to an intl school. At this point, I'm pretty worried we wont get approval from MOE to attend intl school due to her dual nationality since she's already in a local school... In terms of the school she goes to, there are hardly any expat kids. Its got a reputation as one of those traditional 'branded' schools. She loves it and is very happy. I think it was an easier adjustment bc she doesn't know any other system. I think the rules and all that tradition bother me more than they do her! If you are looking for a school with more expats, I've heard that tangoing katong is a great school (a p4 american boy who attends told me this) , and bukit timah primary and balastier hill are possible options. Someone may have mentioned already, but i think neighborhood schools are better options than the well known schools. Good luck,