Singapore Expats

Which local schools do expat kids attend?

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 2:48 pm

This year Yuhua only had 38 spaces available for Ph.3 and, from memory, it ended up full.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

arti55

Post by arti55 » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:30 pm

the International Schools in Singapore have a good reputation, with some generally accepted as having an elevated standard and a more difficult curriculum than others. All of the schools try their best to emphasize and explore the experience of being an international student abroad.

MitchMitch

Post by MitchMitch » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 6:48 am

Any local schools recommendations in East?

From this thread it looks like there are not that many expat children going to local schools. :?

zoeclarke

Post by zoeclarke » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:04 am

Hi I am looking for a local school for my daughter who has just turned 11 can anyone help, we have had a lot of dead ends and no luck, we live in the east coast :)

HRN

Post by HRN » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:46 pm

if anyone is looking for a childcare centre which has a good mix of expats and local students, well i found one. My kid has been there for a couple of months and so far, it has been a great experience for my son. The name of the childcare centre is Our Future Prodigies. Let me know if anyone is interested!:)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:02 pm

HRN, your posts are suspiciously starting to sound like spam. I've deleted several as most people check the lastest posts so posting in 4 old threads isn't done normally unless spamming the board because of a vested interest.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FannyKohLT

Post by FannyKohLT » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 1:55 pm

Hello all,

I moved to Singapore at the end of September last year and have been looking out since then. My kids are 4 and 6 years old and now they are only attending some enrichment classes. Can someone recommend me a good school for my elder boy which I suppose should be in P1. I am staying in the west around Holland Village area. It's such a pain to go through this and to compare between local and expat schools.
Please enlighten me.

mummy mantras
Regular
Regular

Post by mummy mantras » Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:48 am

FannyKohLT wrote:Hello all,

I moved to Singapore at the end of September last year and have been looking out since then. My kids are 4 and 6 years old and now they are only attending some enrichment classes. Can someone recommend me a good school for my elder boy which I suppose should be in P1. I am staying in the west around Holland Village area. It's such a pain to go through this and to compare between local and expat schools.
Please enlighten me.
Some quick enlightening:

If your children are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents, do note that choosing a public school is less about which one you would prefer and more about whatever available space happens to be left.

See the MOE website for more details:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... on/phases/

In simple English, it means that all Singaporean and PR children go first, and non-citizens take whatever is left (assuming there are any places left).

If you are lucky, there may be some vacancies left in the public school of your choice. In which case, you can apply to send your kids to that school. But do also bear in mind that if the number of applications exceeds the number of available places (which happens a lot at the more popular public schools), then balloting will be conducted to see who gets the remaining places.

If you are unlucky enough to not succeed at this stage, the Ministry of Education will then simply post your child to any available public primary school with a vacancy. This posting is final and no appeals will be entertained. Schools will also not entertain any walk-in applications.

singhalaka

Re: Which local schools do expat kids attend?

Post by singhalaka » Wed, 05 Aug 2015 2:58 pm

Hi everyone! i have 3 year old son and i am evaluating local kindergartens near thomson road. can someone suggest from their experience?
Akanksha

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 11 Nov 2020 10:43 pm

My child is going into her last year of high school (12th grade/JC 2). We thought it important that she attend a high quality local school to ensure that she could mix with the locals while receiving a top notch education. We initially wanted to place her in Singapore Chinese Girls School because we lived nearby but they had no more vacancies as we didn’t realize how early some parents in Singapore begin applying for spots. We eventually secured her a place at Raffles Girls’ Primary after doing parent volunteering, she has local citizenship and we lived relatively close by so that must have helped as well. Ended up being a great choice for her- she enjoyed learning there and made many local friends. It is important to note that she was the only Caucasian grade in her year, so do not expect it to be easy to gain admission, we only learned later on how competitive it was to secure a place at RGPS.

My advice: Don’t sweat it too much. Do your due research and pick a school to which you live nearby for maximum convenience. Most local schools offer a decently good education, so don’t get too caught up on which to send your kid to. Start applying early to make sure you don’t lose out. Good luck!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 11 Nov 2020 11:05 pm

OK but you're talking about something that awhile ago. You had an SC child and you lived in the catchment area. Whoopy doo. The schools that take govt money have to give places to those kids. Try being a expat with a kid in say grade 3 - no chance getting in a public school with any choice. They get what's given IF they pass the intake test.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!