Singapore Expats Forum

Your Favorite Chinese Superstitions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Postby Guest » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 7:13 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:don't eat dark soya sauce when you're pregnant or your baby will be born dark-skinned.

don't leave any rice on your plate or you will become pock-marked, or marry a man who is pock-marked, can't remember which.

don't make faces in case the wind changes and your face gets stuck the way it is.

That's interesting my mother used to say the same thing and we are both English - never lived anywhere outside the UK- looks like westerners and Asians have something in common.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 7:18 am

The above post is by me, forgot to log in again, I was of referring to the last statement.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Some more superstitions and beliefs

Postby Alfalfa » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 8:21 am

Raised by grandparents wrote:
10) Stick a coin on your calculator as it symbolises multiply returns

So thats the reason why some shop owners stick a coin on their calculator...i was wondering why?? So now I know...thanks for the info.

I think this is a good thread to follow.
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 8:22 am

Anonymous wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:don't eat dark soya sauce when you're pregnant or your baby will be born dark-skinned.

don't leave any rice on your plate or you will become pock-marked, or marry a man who is pock-marked, can't remember which.

don't make faces in case the wind changes and your face gets stuck the way it is.

That's interesting my mother used to say the same thing and we are both English - never lived anywhere outside the UK- looks like westerners and Asians have something in common.

you're probably right that it's a western superstition, i did wonder where i heard that one from... probably dear old enid blyton. so BH10Y you may want to strike that off... asian origin dubious. my bad. :oops:

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 8:42 am

I have one..I have one..

If you are expecting do not go out of the house during eclipse of the sun better still if you hide under the bed or under the table..this is to avoid baby from getting skin discolouration...(e.g. some people have bluish skin on their arm or face .. you know what i mean right)

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 28 Aug 2005 6:42 pm

beenhere10years wrote:Have you seen March de l'Emprerer?

I have been this afternoon. So now we can share our points of view...
How did you like it?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

ticktock

chairs

Postby ticktock » Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:22 pm

least favorite and most ridiculous- that you will get boils in your backside if you sit on the chair immediately after someone gets up

and that you need to 'hit' it to release the "chi" or that it is "too hot"

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 6:38 am

It's that poor lonely 'guest' again...nothing better to do than flame everybody.......ignore him/her everyone.

By the way, you're wrong about the last fact 'guest' or so I am reliably informed by my cauc g/friends who have dated local guys.....

You are so sad.............go away silly person.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

cam..

Postby cam.. » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 7:07 am

Get a boy to pee on a newlyweds bed and they should get a boy as their first born. (!)

Don't get a massage during the ghost month.

After saying something which may encourage bad luck ie ' hope i dont crash my car today' - say 'choi' to reverse the curse.

Dont cut anything with knives/scissors during the first 15 days of CNY.

After having a baby the mother isn't meant to wash for a month??!!? Or is it just the hair.

Oh, there's so many more but I can't remember them!

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:26 am

Do not sit on chair immediately, when somebody else have sat there. It is believed that if you do so, while the chair is still warm by the heat it will only encourage arguments between you and the person who was sitting on it before you.

That's what my colleague always say...

cam.

Postby cam. » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 9:09 am

Isn't it because the first person left the seat to get his mixed rice only to come back and find that the second guy has taken his seat? That would cause an argument.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 1:58 pm

Sitting on a chair immediately after someone has vacated it? What about the seats on the MRT? Everyone rushes to sit down once someone has got up...

spadetrev

Postby spadetrev » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 4:07 pm

Get a boy to pee on a newlyweds bed and they should get a boy as their first born.
Its true. happened to my sister, she has a son for her first child...

After having a baby the mother isn't meant to wash for a month??!!? Or is it just the hair.
Well its just the hair...can't imagine if you not shower for a month.. :shock:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 5:04 pm

spadetrev wrote:Get a boy to pee on a newlyweds bed and they should get a boy as their first born.
Its true. happened to my sister, she has a son for her first child...

As far as I know, when you have a child, you have 50% chances to have a boy, and 50% to have a girl....
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant