Singapore Expats Forum

XBox

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

goingmad

XBox

Postby goingmad » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 5:01 pm

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 6:18 pm

I think you better be prepared to buy two if your goal is to keep them from fighting. Better still, why not punish them for bad behavior instead of rewarding it?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

goingmad

Postby goingmad » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 6:24 pm

these two are beyond punishment now..
we got one already- but there are ownership issues now hence the battle

challenger said $200
software box said $288

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 6:34 pm

How old are they?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

goingmad

Postby goingmad » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 7:40 pm

7-11

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 8:55 pm

I used this one on my son and neice about 5 years ago.

My son had a dreamcast and the memory pod that fits into the gamecontrollers with the little screen and memory that you could use away from the machine like the little digimon machines of that time. The two of them always were fighting over the machine so I told them the next time I would smash the memory pod (with all their high scores, game levels, etc). I guess they didn't believe me. I made both of them watch as a 4 pound sledge hammer completely flattened the pod. Told them the next time it would be one of the controllers, then another, etc.

Never had another fight over the dreamcast. Yeah, I know, it cost money but it was definitely a VISA moment. The look on their faces was priceless!

sms

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:25 pm

I'm looking in my crystal ball...

I see...

I see...

I see a young boy and girl...

relatives,

cousins maybe

in thereapy, needing pharmaceuticals over a...

over a,

A SLEDGEHAMMER!!

SMS, too much!

Not sure whether to nominate you for Parent of the Year or call the proper authorities!

-- jack handy

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:35 pm

Nice one SMS, glad to see that when the kids called your bluff you acted. And with such style! A sledge hammer, gotta give credit where it is due.

To the OP, shame you are resorting to buying another xbox. It might be cheaper if you timetable their use of the machine. Or insist that they only play 2 player games.

Perhaps you could use time on the xbox as a reward, tidy you room = 30mins, wash up = 20 mins etc. And penalise for bad behaviour. Fighting = no xbox tonight. Fighting over the xbox = no xbox for a week (hide the power cable).

However I am not a parent & do not know your individual situation, so ignore as you see fit.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 1:03 pm

WIMH & Baron,

I rarely ever have to raise my voice with the kids. I have always been the voice of reason and truth. :mrgreen: I also never threaten my kids and they have always known it. I promise them. And I am known for keeping my promises. My wife used to coerce them to do things and I used to tell her it would come back to haunt her later - it did, they walk all over her today. I told them what would happen if they kept it up and it did. How can anybody fault me for keeping my word? :wink: It's my wife that needs the pharma help now....

sms

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 6:22 pm

I got tired of my son leaving the cords, remotes, box and games out all over the floor. I had threaten over and over, finally lost it and said 'if you don't put it away when you are finished, I'll put it in the wheelie bin!' I did and I forgot to get it out before the trashmen came. :oops: It was probably a good 6 weeks before my son realised that it was missing and I realised that it did go out with the rubbish. We didn't replace it for two years, and then he had earned part of the money to purchase it. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying one just to entertain 2 boys. I also understand the going crazy bit too. good luck
p.s. It was a nintendo 64, still expensive, though!