Singapore Expats Forum

Why Did You Choose This Forum?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Why Did You Choose This Forum?

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 4:23 pm

I know some of you 'double dip' and are members of more than one forum, specifically expat forums. Was just wondering why people made a conscientious decision to stick with this one over another? Or favor this one over another?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 4:50 pm

Because the other board sucked! I became a member on that other board in April as well, arbitrary deletion of posts was the order of the day there. A very kind soul mailed me about this forum and I've been here since then. When I wrote to the Board Admin complaining about the deletion of my post, zero response! Now, they have the nerve to spam me with some promo of theirs!

The first thing I liked about this forum was the participation of the admins and mods, the transparency so to speak. Their sense of humour also appealed to me. Also, there's more freedom on this board. And, better people. More organised, more events, more fun!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 4:54 pm

yeah, it eventually grew to what I now find a nice community of people. All kinds of people, from all kinds of backgrounds, nationalities, age, lifestyle etc.

I have a few other forums of which I am member (dutchspeaking ones), but this one by far my fav.

I like this one, especially the fact I got to know people from this forum outside this virtual reality as well.

Eric

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 8:54 pm

I agree with both Sapphire and Eric's responses. I found the other board's users pretty rude and nasty. I found that most of the people on this one friendlier and civil. I'm glad I finally made the effort to meet some of you last Friday and my opinioin is still the same. Those that I meant were friendly, nice and I would now consider my friends. Thanks :)

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:00 pm

Awwww, Matney, we love you too! *kiss kiss* :D

I actually found this site while researching. The egg mask thread was the first thing i read here. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:02 pm

I am still a regular at all three board, "The Angry Board", "The Sewing Circle" and this one 'The board with no nickname". I do spend more time on this board and the sewing circle but there are two different kinds of people that populate these two boards (both have some of each while each has more of one than the other) actually, I know several that are on both but use different nicks, unlike myself. While I have not met anybody on either board, one of these days that may well change.

sms

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:30 pm

I am a member on the angry board (with a different nick) but I often post anonymously as they are very, very aggressive. Have seen many members get knocked and bashed about for a while...

sms: the sewing circle? Is this (aka) the "forum"? Signed on there and found it soooooo dull and high-school clique like, I have never posted.

I think I like it here mostly because there are (as Eric mentioned) a heap of people of all different walks of life so we get a good mixture of outlooks, peppered with the odd cat-fight and drama... :lol:

Actually one of the reasons I keep going back to the angry board is that they have a parents section, which I have found really helpful more than once - maybe something to think about mods?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:30 pm

SMS, change it this Wednesday! Come for the WNDC!! You can do it! :D
I promise not to beat you in scrabble...you thought I forgot about it? We'll slug it out one of these days.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:38 pm

Graphically speaking htis site is alot more appealling and easier to negotiate. The creators understand the value of white space. I, too am a big fan of 'less is more'.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:09 pm

Thanks for the compliments :)

We hope to further improve this board by adding more features and to promote interaction and events.

Maybe the regulars can suggest what features they would like to have?

Thanks again for the support :)

sundaymorningstaple

PAL

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:36 pm

Pal,

Other than this Forum not haveing acquired a nickname yet, the only real gripe I have is the board or your servers are extremely slow. They are tolerable after midnight until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and then they start slowing down until around now when it becomes unbearable. I used to think is was my ISP but I am now working somewhere else away from my house and it is the same there (different ISP). As I use Firefox I have all 3 forums as homepages as well as yahoo hence my continued usage of those forums while waiting sometimes as long a 5 or 6 minutes for your pages to reload (no kidding!) It's almost like your servers are using 56K dialups. BYW I'm using 1.5 Mbps. The angry board is almost instantaneous loading & refreshing all the time (except when someone crashes it!)

sms

Postby Guest » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:41 pm

I chose this forum because people are soooooooooooooooooo nice and lovely over here heheheheheeeeeeeeeeha!! They are so easy to interact with and no one looses their temper ever! No temper tantrums here :lol: :lol:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:11 pm

I came from the angry board, I just hope that the angry people don't have an exodus here, or it will just become another angry board.

Generally find the posters here welcoming, helpful, funny & multi cultural.

(I also like the games ) :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:37 pm

i've never been a fan of online forums but a friend recommended this one and i've found it to be a friendly community discussing some real issues. people don't necessarily agree but there is a genuine sharing of opinions from a diverse group... gives a broad perspective.

it's also interesting to notice the self-policing that goes on... seldom have i seen the mods step in telling people to behave; it's usually other members who remark on the rudeness of some posters and that usually helps bring the discussion back on track and keep the tone decent. i never expected that from an online board and so appreciate this one.

also agree that it's graphically appealing. my only minor suggestion would be to include more emoticons... i've often wanted to put a hugging or kissing one or stick out my tongue at someone but can't find any! :D

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 1:08 pm

What can I say...

I JUST LOOOVE THIS FORUM..

People here are a great lot...except for the very few..
So all you people out there..thanks for being yourself.
For organising the events and for being a friend.

Cheers
:P
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.