Health Insurance - What Does An Australian Need ?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply

Health Insurance - What Does An Australian Need ?

Post by Boston » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:37 am

There are a couple of strings to this question, and I appreciate any assistance.

I am possibly transferring across to Singapore from Sydney for approximately seven months. I have full health insurance in Australia, which I can put "on hold" for the duration of my stay. Unfortunately, my company are not very generous with the package and will not provide health coverage.

Can anyone please offer advice regarding the need for & availability of health insurance when I arrive in Singapore ? I am generally healthy but do regularly visit an osteopath (or chiropractor) and purchase vitamins.

Tied to this, if anyone can recommend a good osteopath or chiropractor I would appreciate it. Also a good remedial masseure.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 8:36 pm

Here is the basic deal:

As an expat you are not covered under any of the plans available to PR's and citizens.

At the very least, you need to provide for catastrophic coverage for yourself (and family if needed). If your current policy provides out of country/out of network benefits, then it may be sufficient. Otherwise, you need to look at an expat medical policy.

These are the factors you need to consider:

Medical care in Sing is very good and pretty cheap for things like a doctor's check up. You may not want the expense of a policy that handles clinic visits.

If you travel out of Sing to a less developed country, you really want to have evacuation insurance that let's you decide the hospital you are in is sh*t... many policies let the insurance pukes decide if a hospital in Hanoi is of sufficient quality for you. For me, I want to go to Sing, Hong Kong, Bangkok without a twit on the other end of the line telling me the hospital is OK.

Probably won't matter since you are on short term but my policy insures that if I contract a major disease like cancer, I can be flown back to the US for long term treatment... not stuck in Sing while busy dying... and this has nothing to do with Sing treatment... only where you want to be for long term treatment.

"dead body" benefits - policies provide for the evacuation of your body, and some allow your spouse or family member to accompany you when you are evacuated... dead or alive.

Medibroker advertises on this site, and their specialty is expat insurance. I use them... they answer all questions... and the policy does not cost more when bought from them versus buying directly from the insurer.


Thank you

Post by Boston » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 9:58 am

Thanks for the advice so far - my transfer has not been confirmed yet (although I'm expected to fly out in three days ...). I believe that the company's travel insurance will cover me for disasters, so I'll be in touch to discuss actual medical coverage.

Thanks again.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests