Singapore Expats

Is anyone afraid of terrorism in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
worrier

Is anyone afraid of terrorism in Singapore?

Post by worrier » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:36 am

I am an American contemplating an expat assignment in Singapore. We would be sending our children to the American school, and we may join the American club. We would likely live in a condo or neighborhood with many westerners. Should we bother to paint the bullseye on our foreheads? I'm up nights worrying that we'd endanger ourselves--and especially our children--being there. Anyone else worried about this?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 1:00 pm

Tough one, as fear is hard to deal with on a rational basis.

Singapore as such is always said to be a potential target for terrorism, as it is located next to the world's largest muslim country (Indonesia), it is densely populated (lots of potential victims), lots of westerners, largest harbour port (container transport) and it is actively supporting USA policy in Iraq. (mind you, I am just pointing out the opinion of the governments of both USA and Singapore).

On the other side, this country is extremely vigilant, extremely safe and always on the edge. There is heavy patrolling on public transports, border patrols are very modern, sophisticated and extremely alert.

I have always felt very very safe in Singapore, far more than in Holland or other countries where I have lived and/or travelled.

Yes, when living here, there is more of a chance, that when there is an attack here, it will be on American based premises or focussed on American habitants, although I believe it would be targeted, IF coming, on the MRT.

But who am I to tell....

As said, it is hard to rationalize it, I am not all concerned about it here, but if you are, you are...

Eric

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 3:02 pm

I am an American with 3 kids in the American school and active members of the American Club. We feel very safe here. The ghurkas are a little hard to get used to, but we all have.

I think it is in Singapore's best interest to ensure our safety, and so they do. :)

Stop worrying and just come already!
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 3:04 pm

Thought of something else:

you should come just so your kids will learn to be 'color blind' as mine have and considered Muslims friends, not enemies. :wink:
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

really...

Post by really... » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 7:27 am

I have to say I get so worked up when I read posts like this. Why move if you want to then insulate yourself? This is a big world. Have an open mind. Travel within any big city or airport in the States and you will see armed security as well. Why is it any different or take getting use to here? btw - I am an Amercan too....

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 7:53 am

really...

who are you talking to here?

-- jack handy

monica

Post by monica » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 5:20 pm

Hi and sorry to bugged in like this,do you all require a part time domestic helper who will upkeep your house or apartment tidyliness and cleanliness
if do required,plz contact me at [email protected].
Thank for your attention

Re: Is anyone afraid of terrorism in Singapore?

Post by Guest » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:24 am

worrier wrote:I am an American contemplating an expat assignment in Singapore. We would be sending our children to the American school, and we may join the American club. We would likely live in a condo or neighborhood with many westerners. Should we bother to paint the bullseye on our foreheads? I'm up nights worrying that we'd endanger ourselves--and especially our children--being there. Anyone else worried about this?
I will not log in for this one, but all I will say is that if anyone should worry then it should be me, and I was for a while before i first arrived. I was back packing in a country when i fell into the wrong crowd, this guy I shared my room with was connected to a network.

I became very suspious of this guy becuase of all the questions related to the military and what went down in Bosnia, He was very critical of UK, strangely he asked me to go with him around midnight to a bar, where he met up with a group of 5 or 6, he never invited me into the grp, which i thought very strange, so I just left, I was actually being set up.

I am actually trained in anti-terrorism, the next day the guy left, and I was folllowed and hunted down over a 5 day period, I was able to escape and inform police, police didn't take it serious, and I warned them something was going down, and it was against the UK, because of Bosnia. No one listened, 2 months later they assisinated a high ranking British envoy.

You mustn't worry, they will not target you or your family, if anything it will be MRT, USA or British interests here in Singapore.

Just be aware of the fact that the odds of it happening are quite high, and it could just as well happen where you are, if you are a real worry take some medicine, Some people do suffer from fear all the time believe me, I suffer every time getting on a plane, after crashing in a helicopter many years before, but life goes on.

The muslims here are very friendly towards myself and we chat on a daily basis, I very rarely see many expats, yet i do feel safe, but never drop my guard, but that is more to do with training, which becomes second nature. Once a policeman always a policeman!

This is an opportunity you should jump at, you will be a family out of 4 million others, I personally live within the muslim community here in Singapore and not in the expat areas, and i can sleep at night, I don't even know any expats at all. No time all work and no play.

I believe you and your family will settle in, if you give it a chance, and the experience will be very good for all.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:49 am

I feel quite worried for you guest, you seem to be somehow a bit confused? :?

Eric

Post by Guest » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 2:30 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I feel quite worried for you guest, you seem to be somehow a bit confused? :?

Eric
Why do you say that Eric?

guest2005

Post by guest2005 » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 9:26 am

It is an opportunity of a lifetime. Leave the States and let your family have a wonderful experience! Your fears will be your fears. If you follow your line of thinking you are a target in the States as well. If you are really concerned that you have a target on your back - send your children to a different school rather than SAS. Send them to one of the many PYB/IB International Schools. As an added benefit they will experince an international education based on the PYP/IB program rather than the American system.