Singapore Expats Forum

Israel demolishing vacated Gaza homes - Gimme a BREAK!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Israel demolishing vacated Gaza homes - Gimme a BREAK!

Postby Wham » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 4:16 pm

I am watching on the news how the "good will" gesture of Israel departing the Gaza strip is being marred by their insistence on destroying the homes they are vacating. This seems completely insane to me. This is like shaking someones hand, and then punching them.

Is this the type of vengeful petty ally that the US really needs? How much more of this insanity do we have to put up with???

I guess i am just curious if i am alone in thinking that this is just about the stupidist thing i have seen in a long time - any comments???

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Israel demolishing vacated Gaza homes - Gimme a BREAK!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 4:36 pm

Wham wrote:I am watching on the news how the "good will" gesture of Israel departing the Gaza strip is being marred by their insistence on destroying the homes they are vacating. This seems completely insane to me. This is like shaking someones hand, and then punching them.

Is this the type of vengeful petty ally that the US really needs? How much more of this insanity do we have to put up with???

I guess i am just curious if i am alone in thinking that this is just about the stupidist thing i have seen in a long time - any comments???

While I agree that it is stupid, I think the reason may be internal. Consider this. The residents of the Gaza Strip were meant to vacate their homes against their will (the government against the will of the citizens). Maybe, just maybe the demolition of their homes was the only way to molify those removed from their homes to give it to the Palistinians. I know I would feel sour grapes if somebody told me to move and we're going to give your home that you built to your enemy. Just a thought.

sms

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 6:12 pm

i agree that the government is trying to mollify the settlers; however, the settlers are being compensated for their homes. Therefore the homes belong to the government and they should do the right thing for a change - and give the homes to the palastinians. Would that be so hard to accept??? And if destroying the homes is accepted as a form of making them happy - doesn't this just say something fundimental about how deep and ugly their hatred is?

My understanding is that many of these homes were unfortunately built with loan guarantees from the US. And now the US will have to give money to the Palastinians to re-build the homes again... What a complete waste.

I think this episode lays bare for me how morally bankrupt the israelis (and palastinians) are - and that throwing any more money that way is throwing good money after bad. Our foreign aid could be put to much better use in say... NIGER - where people are actually starving.