Singapore Expats Forum

Help - need some good music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shilo

Help - need some good music

Postby Shilo » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 5:58 am

Hi.
I have run out of idea's for downloads.
What are your favorite songs and/or artists from the following geners ?
Southern Rock

Heavy Rock

90's pop

Rap

Any English or die hard punks amongst you ?
Im interested in putting together a punk album but don’t know enough about it to know what's worth recording.
The same goes for Rap, I really like Emminem and some of the gangster rap like Coolio's "Gangsters Paradise".
Snoop Dog can be good too.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

P.S - For those who know what this is for - :oops:
Sorry.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 1:14 pm

Shilo,

Welcome back if it's really you. Your still registered so...... If you have been reading the threads, you will know that you're welcome here. :mrgreen:

Musically, I can't help you too much, as I'm stuck in a 60's/early '70's timewarp with country & classical thrown in. :oops:

sms

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 1:43 pm

Thanks Sunday.

I was actually thinking you might be able to help more because my favorite music is by far southern rock and late sixties/seventies rock general.
I just put this whole "Vietnam era" cd together.
You know, the doors, Lynnard all that stuff.
Great CD.
I have always liked Cat Stevens and Harry Chapin and some of the softer stuff from the era as well.
I’m not overly into rap but there is some good stuff out there, Its like English punk, if its bad, it's terrible, if its good, its good for a change if the mood suits

Shilo

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 7:28 pm

A collection of "The Velvet Underground" perhaps?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 7:46 pm

If music be the food of love, play on!

For punk, you can't go wrong with the classics - Ramones, The Clash; for something more contemporary try Rancid

I hope you didn't put The Doors with Cat Stevens! Pink Floyd is always good as is Jimi Hendrix. That man doesn't play a guitar, he's playing his cock! Rolling Stones kicks ass but you just can't get no satisfaction.

Please don't even bother with 90s pop. "We're government sanctioned rock n roll! We're pop stars against drugs!" Puh lease. Every single decent piece of music ever produced has been under the influence of some kind of mind alterant, be it drugs drugs, alcohol or women.

There's so much more I could go on about music but that should keep you busy for awhile.
some signatures are more equal than others

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks Pinky and banana.
Velvet underground - good call, had forgotten about them.
I don't mind The Exploited, Peter and the test tube babies or the Four skins.
For American punk, How can you go past Dead Kennedy's ?
Always seemed to me the clash sold out a little there at the end and became a little commercial.
I class Green Day as modern American punk and have some respect for them because they have tried hard not to sell out.
Admittedly, they have to an extent but it's a different world now and I can see that amidst their success and all the hype they have at least tried to retain their roots.
I did actually put Cat Stevens on the same CD as the doors but not back to back, I tend to work my music through the spectrum from hard, slowly morphing, song by song to softer if that makes sense.
The "Vietnam" CD I put together is mostly the harder (perhaps raw is a better word) rock genre such as Light my fire, Paint it black, Sweet home Alabama and fortunate son ect.
Surely Cat Stevens wasn’t such a leap ?
I never thought of Hendrix though, truth is, despite my long running love of the era I never really learned much about him.
Again, I just don’t know what’s good and what’s not.
Throw a couple of Hendrix’s best songs at me too please.
Just for the sake of sharing, I once found myself completely unexpectedly in the field at Woodstock, quite drunk on a Saturday night.
(I'm Australian)
Good story behind that one, lol.

See ya.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:22 pm

Drunken stories are the best! They invariably involve livestock, bodily functions and denial.

Kinda how Hendrix left the world too. Rock with Little Wing, Purple Haze, All Along The Watchtower if you want "the best songs". He is best experienced rather than sampled IMHO.

To be honest, I'm no expert on punk, American or otherwise, but to me it's about the basslines and the attitude. Alot of modern day punk is more emo but that's just the evolution of music hey?

Musical progression on a personal compilation is up to taste, even if from psychedelic rock to country, who am I to say otherwise? :twisted:
some signatures are more equal than others

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:59 pm

Shilo,

Surely you haven't forgotten Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born to be Wild".

Surprise, surprise. I also once found myself in that same field only I was listening to Jimi live and the year was '69. I was 21 years old, ex-nam vet and mad at the world at the time. Now, no longer 21, mad at the world but still a vet. Now I am the establishment? As Pogo said many years ago "I have seen the enemy and they are us!"

Does anbody except me remember that Kenny Rogers used to be in a pop bank before becoming a country hit? The year was also '67 and the band was "The First Edition" and their only really notable hit was "Ruby don't take your love to town" This would have been a good one for your Vietnam Era CD compilation.

sms

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 8:20 am

Born to be wild, oh now, hey good call !
I had not thought of that one. While I have heard of Steven Wolf and magic carpet ride, I cant think how it goes, I will definitely check it out.
Now come on Sunday, I know your getting a little long in the tooth there buddy, but you cant be so far gone you think Ruby take your love to town is pop can ya :shock: ?Hahaha...oh man, you in trouble. lol.
I think I asked you once before but did not get an answer, do you know Dave Dudleys version of Vietnam blues ? Love that one.
As for Woodstock, well what can I say ? Very, very cool Sunday, you da man !
I got a thrill just being there some thirty years later.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:25 am

Shilo,

I agree, it is a more country oriented song. But I believe it was actually on the top 40 before it was on the country charts. An early cross-over type. But the lyrics are right.

Dave Dudley.......ironically, I've listened to his truckdriving songs for years but until a few minutes ago, I'd never heard Vietnam Blues. It was actually written by Kris Kristofferson. Found it in a recorded radio broadcast online just now.

Some other good ones are "Sky Pilot" by The Animals and "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire. I have MP3's of both.

Here's a link for you: http://www.countryjoe.com/warsongs.htm

sms

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 1:56 pm

Some more...

Aerosmith - Walk this way

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Queen - We will rock u

ZZ top - Legs

Eagles - Hotel California, Tequila Sunrise

Van Halen - Runnin' with the devil

Steve Miller Band - Swingtown

The Beatles - A day in the life

Santana - Black magic woman, Evil ways

More bands like Steely Dan, Led Zep, John Mayall, Cream, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, Bread...I could go on...
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 2:58 pm

Yeah Floyd Rules!! Only problem is that you shouldn't listen to them if you are depressed...

sved

Postby sved » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 3:28 pm

I'm a bit off topic, but as I'm in the region by now, I would like to discover some good Malaysian and Singaporean bands... in any style.

Any names come to your minds ?
Forgive my english, still learning ...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 4:17 pm

hey Shilo,

welcome back! glad to see you. my taste in music is one generation behind time as i grew up on my father's music... boney m, john denver and the like... gosh. so i can't help you much.

i do like abba... catchy tunes mostly with some nice ballads. billy joel has a lot of great songs, as does david gates. tracy chapman is way cool, together with lighthouse family. and recently i heard a really good song on radio... if tomorrow never comes, by ronan keating. kinda mushy but i love the message.

see you around!

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 4:54 pm

Hi there Wind.
Thanks for the WB, I really appreciate that.
I have been feeling a bit sheepish in here to be honest.
Tracey Chapman is pretty good isn’t she ?
I always liked Sorry and Fast car particularly.
Give me one reason is one I don’t have and have just added to my list.
Saphire – All good songs, some I have already, some I have just written on my list. :D
Thanks.
Pinky – Best Floyd album in my mind is the Final Cut.
Rodger waters has done some good stuff since they split best amongst them probably Radio Chaos.
Sved – I cant help with that one mate, know nothing about Asian music period.