Singapore Expats Forum

How to have fun without breaking the bank?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Budgetgirl

How to have fun without breaking the bank?

Postby Budgetgirl » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:39 am

Hello Pips!!

This has been my common lament and also lots of other low income people i know- when what we earn has to go for serious financial commitments (whatever they may be). I am left with maybe just a $100 a month, often less- for 'entertainment' - how to stretch that in that whole month?

I stay at home most of the time because of this and hardly meet anyone new- what can i do that might help me make new friends and enjoy some time doing fun things without necessarily having to 'spend' because it seems 'fun' = money=spend!

I look at all the gatherings and outings here and its all about going to do stuff which involves "spending'- and i avoid it all because i am too embarrased to tell people hey, i cant do this- but this ticket, have that drink, eat that dish, etc etc.

Any ideas?

christina.

Postby christina. » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:39 am

ooo dear, u so ugly? girls no need money spent for night life at all

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:41 am

christina. wrote:ooo dear, u so ugly? girls no need money spent for night life at all

u dnt have to be so mean :evil:
IBMing

Budgetgirl

Postby Budgetgirl » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 3:21 pm

See, when i posted this, i knew i would get very few replies because everybody here has money to go out and spend! But i put it up anyway hoping that somewhere out there, there was someone who might some good suggestions. But its obvious that there are very few people here who are looking for sincere friendships- its all superficial isnt it, its all about what u do, what u earn and do you have money to hang out with us?

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 4:59 pm

There is this saying: "The best way to save money, is to control your spending" . .

Basically, it all depends on what you are looking for, that should feed within your ability and comfort zone.

You can opt for a healthy sport as your activity for the day or nite, or go for tea session with friends at a cheap prata shop. All these don't cost you a bomb . . ! !

Nite Life doesn't not meant that you must go for fine dinning, wine tasting, clubbing, etc . .

Of course, you can still go clubbing for once a month. Other weekends, just do something simple, or stay at home.

These days, I stayed at home too . . :wink: :wink:

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Postby Chris_Austria » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 7:24 pm

I don't think that it is necessary to have money to have a good time on weekends... it just depends on your definition of entertainment! I mean, you don't need to have 10 beers or cocktails to have fun... just have one or two orange juices... and I'm sure that people will understand that you don't have that much money... no need to feel ashamed of that...
"We're the middle children of history, men. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives."

Happy_Person

Postby Happy_Person » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:07 am

Budgetgirl wrote:See, when i posted this, i knew i would get very few replies because everybody here has money to go out and spend! But i put it up anyway hoping that somewhere out there, there was someone who might some good suggestions. But its obvious that there are very few people here who are looking for sincere friendships- its all superficial isnt it, its all about what u do, what u earn and do you have money to hang out with us?

Hi Budget Girl

I understand your position, unfortunately god enetratinment costs quite a fair amount here. Ofcouse there are friends who can always help sincerely. Once ina while I also take my friends who are newly into business and hence on a tight budget out ( the bills are on me generally). Ofcourse in the long run is to do some good business, join right group of fiends who can improve ur financial status and give u proper advice. To help in you detail and advice you, I need to your background, work etc. Do PM me if you want , I shall guide you to the extent possible.

Take care till then.

Cheers

mjka

Postby mjka » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 7:36 pm

Hi Budgetgirl

Some activities are difficult to achieve on a low budget (eg Cirque du Soleil, km8, etc), but a round of beach volleyball at Sentosa or rollerblading at East Coast (if you have own skates…) could do the trick if you are the sporty kind.

However, I get what you mean. In a group it is always difficult to be the one not wanting another round of drinks, not joining for the movie, etc.

But I found out that there are more people than expected, who prefer 60 cents Kopi instead of 5$ Starbucks, Hawker Centre instead of restaurants or bring their own water instead of going to km8 and alike... and having fun anyway!

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 2:00 am

I do agree with you . .

You can always hang out with friends on a rock bottom budget. There are different kind of people in this world. As long as you are with your right preference group, everything will work out fine . .

For me, I do prefer hawker food & 60 cents tea, compared to all those standard cafe outlet . .

At least, each hawker stall has it own unique taste . . :wink: :wink:

Superficial

Going out on a budget

Postby Superficial » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 2:25 pm

Budgetgirl wrote:See, when i posted this, i knew i would get very few replies because everybody here has money to go out and spend! But i put it up anyway hoping that somewhere out there, there was someone who might some good suggestions. But its obvious that there are very few people here who are looking for sincere friendships- its all superficial isnt it, its all about what u do, what u earn and do you have money to hang out with us?

Not everyone has money to blow. Most are in the same boat, some has to watch their budget more than others.

You sounded very bitter. What has not replying to your original post has to ldo with ooking for sincere friendship. Most meeting, at the beginning is superficial. It there anything wrong? Btw, you didn't even let other the time to post their reply before you accused all on this board to be insincere and superficial.

Since when did we regulars on the board flaunt our wealth, our jobs, and care how much you make.

Granted, based on what you told us, your budget is very tight, so was mine a while back. Should I have to apologise that I have dug myself out of that hole and have set up much more comfortable situation? I think not, and won't until the moon turns blue.

Be happy. If you insist to be bitter, be my guest, but I won't keep you company.

A very superficial person

SwingMonkey

Re: How to have fun without breaking the bank?

Postby SwingMonkey » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 5:44 pm

Budgetgirl wrote:I stay at home most of the time because of this and hardly meet anyone new- what can i do that might help me make new friends and enjoy some time doing fun things without necessarily having to 'spend' because it seems 'fun' = money=spend!

Take up Salsa :P You don't drink so much (coz it messes with your balance) == lower cost and have lots of likeminded people around. Not to mention being extremely good for your waistline :P
Putting the 'fun' back in Dys-FUN-ctional :P

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 5:58 pm

My two cents worth..

Take part in the east coast skating...maybe our rujak gathering at a local hawker centre is good too..it won't cost much right. You can always do things without having to spend so much..

Why not suggest a picnic by the beach or a bus ride trip ( i think i saw that somewhere) too.

A game of scrabble or whatever comes to mind..and if you want something more fulfilling..do volunteer work you won't have to pay a cent spending time with the old folks or the unfortunate kids etc... It will be fulfilling.

Alfalfa
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 6:52 pm

fun doesn't have to be expensive, or even require $1. it depends on what your definition of fun is. i hope it's not tonnes and tonnes of versace...

mine is reading good books. which means visits to the libraries.

sports council gyms charge only $90 per year, and i'm a gym buff...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

frontier

Re: How to have fun without breaking the bank?

Postby frontier » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 7:24 pm

Budgetgirl wrote:Hello Pips!!

This has been my common lament and also lots of other low income people i know- when what we earn has to go for serious financial commitments (whatever they may be). I am left with maybe just a $100 a month, often less- for 'entertainment' - how to stretch that in that whole month?

I stay at home most of the time because of this and hardly meet anyone new- what can i do that might help me make new friends and enjoy some time doing fun things without necessarily having to 'spend' because it seems 'fun' = money=spend!

I look at all the gatherings and outings here and its all about going to do stuff which involves "spending'- and i avoid it all because i am too embarrased to tell people hey, i cant do this- but this ticket, have that drink, eat that dish, etc etc.

Any ideas?

Budget girl.. its simple.. I suppose everybody has gone thru this situation before and even now with suffice money some of us go thru this ocassionaly. Solution is simple.. if u drink. grab a beer. call ur good buddies .. or call few pple here on forum and head to beach(east coast/wes coast etc etc) and hang out there ..chilling. catching up.. sharing..and enjoying urself. such an outing would probably cost u two cans of beer(if u drink).. but rest assured.. it sure is refreshing and u may just make some friends for life..

At the end of the day, quality time with buddies has little relation with the money u have..
Please don't stalk me--94564901 :-P..:-)