Singapore Expats Forum

Tiger Airways Cabin Crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2005
Location: Singapore

Re: Tiger airways

Postby queenie-me » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 8:12 pm

Paige wrote:
jocelynglc wrote:Hi there,

Yes i am 27 but trust me i dun look like 27...most pple can never guess my age.they always thnk i am 21 or 22.I didn't go for the interview as I was sick..i did try to email Annie but she didn't reply back to me...Honestly,it's hard for me to give up a high paying salary for low pay especially my age and especially when I am married....if I am 19 or 21..yes I have plently of time.Anyway,there will be another interview on 16th,dun know if I should just go as i have not hear from Annie.

Hi Jocelynglc,
Well... actually im facing the same problem as u.. can bear to give up my high pay job, as there will b a pay cut... and i still hav a study loan to clear.. Well.. its an experience.. anyway the bond is 1 yr.. So.. mayb u can consider trying for it?=) i had juz PM u... :)
All the best..

cheers!
Paige :wink:


come on.. give it a try. me and colleen made to the next round already. So, i hope more girls from this forum could make it.

see you there colleen ;)

Colleen
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed, 28 Sep 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Colleen » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 9:22 pm

cutiechar wrote:Hi all

Just some info abt tiger.

pay indeed low
no crew meal (haf to bring along own food)
no transport allowance (report as early as 6am, return flt as late as 3am)
sector allowance pathetic low
transit>> haf to do cleaning, clear cabin, pick up trash(meaning no auntie cleaner to do it)

Going to darwin is not a big deal, wont get to see the plc, oli see the airport..and at the end of it, you be so tired..

BUT if you realli wanna try for cabin crew experience, can consider la..but there is a one yr bond and if you were to leave within that period, you haf to pay a certain amount.

FYI
tigress



HI CutieChar

I pm u..... :)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 9:43 pm

Colleen wrote:
cutiechar wrote:Hi all

Just some info abt tiger.

pay indeed low
no crew meal (haf to bring along own food)
no transport allowance (report as early as 6am, return flt as late as 3am)
sector allowance pathetic low
transit>> haf to do cleaning, clear cabin, pick up trash(meaning no auntie cleaner to do it)

Going to darwin is not a big deal, wont get to see the plc, oli see the airport..and at the end of it, you be so tired..

BUT if you realli wanna try for cabin crew experience, can consider la..but there is a one yr bond and if you were to leave within that period, you haf to pay a certain amount.

FYI
tigress



HI CutieChar

I pm u..... :)


The above post sounds both cynical and negative you have to remember Tiger Airways is a budget carrier which means they do everything possible to avoid incurring costs that ultimately are passed on to the passenger in the form of high fares.

For the crew it means you will get very little in the way of perquisites and benefits. The key question then is: is do I really want the job? No doubt the interviewers will seek to establish this so think long and hard.

The more positive aspect is you get experience of working with customers and becoming familiar with the airline and airport environment which could put position to apply for more senior jobs within the airline.

Alternatively you could use the experience after a period of time if you are young enough to reapply to Singapore Airlines and you will have a better chance. Think about it who would you sooner employ somebody with experience or a complete novice? Costs are what matter most to employers and remember wages are usually the most expensive part of a company's budget. (In the airline industry fuel is with wages being second).

With the above in mind make a point of being reliable, keep sick leave to absolute minimum (don't go sick unless you are ) and remember your experiences and make your aspirations known. Those who heed such advice are not guaranteed anything but if you are one of the lucky ones you will get what you want sooner than you think.

Take care and best wishes to all concerned.

Plavt.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:00 pm

Problem with your answer, Plavt, is that the applicants deserve to earn well straight off the bat. They have to get the plum jobs without having to have experience - it is their right as part of the silver rice bowl society.

(If I think about all the locals who come to me for job interviews and expect to be on a good salary while not having had experience or they've switched companies every few months . . . Brrrrrrrrrr - hardship? nah, that's something their parents went through.)
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:29 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Problem with your answer, Plavt, is that the applicants deserve to earn well straight off the bat. They have to get the plum jobs without having to have experience - it is their right as part of the silver rice bowl society.

(If I think about all the locals who come to me for job interviews and expect to be on a good salary while not having had experience or they've switched companies every few months . . . Brrrrrrrrrr - hardship? nah, that's something their parents went through.)



Hmmmm.............. :roll:

User avatar
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2005
Location: Singapore / United Arab Emirates

Postby singaporegrrl » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 1:58 am

Don't get me wrong but being a FA is one of my dreams but sometimes we need to take note alot of factors. I mean I am not being choosy for no reason but I research for facts. Budget airlines pays really low and your workload is the same as FAs of other airlines, if not, worse. Not having transport covered even if you are working on or coming back from early morning flights is just unfair. And crew meals aren't provided? No offence but I'd rather work at Starbucks or Coffee Bean getting paid $5 an hour. My meal and transportation was taken care of when I worked as a part-time Coffee Bean barista when I was schooling last time. If you are talking about experience, being a barista or retail assistant or ticketing officer at the zoo or customer service officer in a hotel or airport could be counted as experience as well. I've heard alot of people who were once FAs but were not accepted to a different airline.(Like brunei to tiger, or jal to sia, etc.) It doesn't mean if you have experience in the aviation industry before, you'll be guaranteed this job again. But then again, be it budget airlines or regional airlines or major airlines, think of benefits. How can the airline benefit you AND how can you benefit the airline? It's a two-way street. I don't mean to pull people out from applying to budget airlines, just that your future lies in what you choose. This don't only apply to aviation but to other jobs as well. I hope I don't offend anyone.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 2:19 am

Not having transport covered even if you are working on or coming back from early morning flights is just unfair.


Singaporegrrl,
You have some sensible views and it is true if you work for one airline another might not accept you but that is just a chance you sometimes have to take. The point I was trying to make was if you have somebody with experience they are far easier to train and there might be parts of the training program in some cases that can be dispensed with thereby reducing the cost to the employer. Make no mistake training is expensive especially if somebody drops out, ‘flunks it’ or decides not to sign the contract in the end – something you mentioned earlier.

As for the quote above, I find that rather interesting when I read the rest of your post and I am a little surprised that your transportation cost were taken care of when you were a Coffee Bean Barista.

From what I know and I would imagine this to be the case British Airways crews and JAL staff here get nothing towards transport since cabs here cost a fortune about £100 by Black Cab to where I live to Heathrow which is about an hours drive. I quite often see both BA and JAL staff on the tube from where I live and again the airport is about an hour away slightly less if one uses the Heathrow Express from Paddington.

Hope this clarifies things for you.


Plavt.

AM0506
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 15 Jan 2006

Hello newbie here!

Postby AM0506 » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 2:33 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:Don't get me wrong but being a FA is one of my dreams but sometimes we need to take note alot of factors. I mean I am not being choosy for no reason but I research for facts. Budget airlines pays really low and your workload is the same as FAs of other airlines, if not, worse. Not having transport covered even if you are working on or coming back from early morning flights is just unfair. And crew meals aren't provided? No offence but I'd rather work at Starbucks or Coffee Bean getting paid $5 an hour. My meal and transportation was taken care of when I worked as a part-time Coffee Bean barista when I was schooling last time. If you are talking about experience, being a barista or retail assistant or ticketing officer at the zoo or customer service officer in a hotel or airport could be counted as experience as well. I've heard alot of people who were once FAs but were not accepted to a different airline.(Like brunei to tiger, or jal to sia, etc.) It doesn't mean if you have experience in the aviation industry before, you'll be guaranteed this job again. But then again, be it budget airlines or regional airlines or major airlines, think of benefits. How can the airline benefit you AND how can you benefit the airline? It's a two-way street. I don't mean to pull people out from applying to budget airlines, just that your future lies in what you choose. This don't only apply to aviation but to other jobs as well. I hope I don't offend anyone.


well-said...
sometimes I wonder if the highly sought after companies are taking advantage of their popularity by offering low staff welfare and remuneration. I know its to cut costs but it also makes qualified potential employees think twice about joining them. yeah it's about the passion for the job, which is very important, but if you get too low below what you think you can get working elsewhere, the opportunity cost gets high. Especially if you count the monetary loss in a year, it could sum up to quite a hefty sum!

As the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. So its always a dilemma to join a LCC if salary amount is below what you're comfortable with. :)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hello newbie here!

Postby Plavt » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 4:13 pm

AM0506 wrote:
singaporegrrl wrote:Don't get me wrong but being a FA is one of my dreams but sometimes we need to take note alot of factors. I mean I am not being choosy for no reason but I research for facts. Budget airlines pays really low and your workload is the same as FAs of other airlines, if not, worse. Not having transport covered even if you are working on or coming back from early morning flights is just unfair. And crew meals aren't provided? No offence but I'd rather work at Starbucks or Coffee Bean getting paid $5 an hour. My meal and transportation was taken care of when I worked as a part-time Coffee Bean barista when I was schooling last time. If you are talking about experience, being a barista or retail assistant or ticketing officer at the zoo or customer service officer in a hotel or airport could be counted as experience as well. I've heard alot of people who were once FAs but were not accepted to a different airline.(Like brunei to tiger, or jal to sia, etc.) It doesn't mean if you have experience in the aviation industry before, you'll be guaranteed this job again. But then again, be it budget airlines or regional airlines or major airlines, think of benefits. How can the airline benefit you AND how can you benefit the airline? It's a two-way street. I don't mean to pull people out from applying to budget airlines, just that your future lies in what you choose. This don't only apply to aviation but to other jobs as well. I hope I don't offend anyone.


well-said...
sometimes I wonder if the highly sought after companies are taking advantage of their popularity by offering low staff welfare and remuneration. I know its to cut costs but it also makes qualified potential employees think twice about joining them. yeah it's about the passion for the job, which is very important, but if you get too low below what you think you can get working elsewhere, the opportunity cost gets high. Especially if you count the monetary loss in a year, it could sum up to quite a hefty sum!

As the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. So its always a dilemma to join a LCC if salary amount is below what you're comfortable with. :)



To be quite brutal AM0506 it looks as if you want everything your own way. I doubt if highly sought after companies 'take advantage of their popularity by offering low wages', if they did they would not be highly sought after. The fact about budget airlines is they are unable to provide the perquisites that major carriers do. The moment they start you can be sure they will go bust. You probably do not know that more than one airline went out of business here in the UK. Debonair was one of them although I am unable to find the reason.

There is truth in the saying 'if you pay peanuts you get monkeys' but if you are not happy with what you see don't go there. However, to get what you want you are going to have to do some serious graft on your own; research, qualifications which will take time and for which you will not receive any financial reward. In addition experience will often be looked for.

To return to the issue of budget airlines they will never be stuck for staff low pay or not. The airline industry is now very competitive and even SIA no longer provides the benefits it used to because of the competition from the low cost carriers. What you will find is the staff turnover may well be greater on these airlines.

Plavt.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 4:28 pm

qualified potential employees


AM0506, so, there are a lot of ex-KLM/SIA/BA/CX/QF FA's lining up for jobs at the LCC's?

Seems to me that the group that responds here is absolutely unqualified for this job and will get their training and job introduction in situ.

Possibly your horse is a bit high an dismounting may be an idea for you.
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2005
Location: Singapore / United Arab Emirates

Postby singaporegrrl » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:35 pm

Plavt wrote:I am a little surprised that your transportation cost were taken care of when you were a Coffee Bean Barista.


Oops I hadn't been specific. My transportation was covered when I were doing the closing shift. We'd be leaving our workplace at 0100hrs for our closing shifts. That's why it was covered.

Plavt wrote:cabs here cost a fortune about £100 by Black Cab to where I live to Heathrow which is about an hours drive.


Cabs here are rather affordable. I remembered taking the cab home from the airport that costed less than $40, including the midnight charge. It was a 30min drive. In Singapore, traffics are very smooth therefore, you'd reach your destination in less than an hour. Never more than that. In fact it's always been less than 45min. Do you know that it's just a 20min drive from the airport to the city area in Singapore?
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

waty0706
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 15 Jan 2006

Postby waty0706 » Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:59 am

hi,

jus wanna check with you all, what kind of uniform will tiger airways will be using?

And for the interview, what common qns will they ask?

Thanks!

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 16 Jan 2006 1:51 am

singaporegrrl wrote:
Plavt wrote:ICabs here are rather affordable. I remembered taking the cab home from the airport that costed less than $40, including the midnight charge. It was a 30min drive. In Singapore, traffics are very smooth therefore, you'd reach your destination in less than an hour. Never more than that. In fact it's always been less than 45min. Do you know that it's just a 20min drive from the airport to the city area in Singapore?




Actually, I do know this having been Singapore several and from where I traveled - The Copthorne Hotel on Dunearne Road it was about $15 (if I rember correctly) very cheap and a pleasure. Singapore has the advantage that to and the airport the cab can use the freeway. An unfortunate fate for cab drivers here is they get caught in the traffic and that's what really drives the fare up. If use one at an odd hour and certain routes, say 6.00 am when there's less traffic the fare is greatly diminished although still expensive in comparison. Bit off topic but some useful information when hopefully you succeed in your quest.

Best Wishes.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 16 Jan 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 16 Jan 2006 1:57 am

waty0706 wrote:hi,

jus wanna check with you all, what kind of uniform will tiger airways will be using?

And for the interview, what common qns will they ask?

Thanks!


#-o [-o< ](*,)

Now, what was that story I heard about a guy called Rip Van Winkle; he went to sleep for 20 years...............

Plavt.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 16 Jan 2006 8:07 am

waty0706 wrote:hi,

jus wanna check with you all, what kind of uniform will tiger airways will be using?

And for the interview, what common qns will they ask?

Thanks!



Waty - how does one spell 'thick'?
......................................................



'nuff said Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests