Singapore Expats Forum

Getting a Masters degree at NUS or HKU???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

csbyrnes84

Getting a Masters degree at NUS or HKU???

Postby csbyrnes84 » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 3:54 pm

Hey,

I'm currently an undergrad foreign exchange student studying at NUS for the semester. I am considering the prospect of trying to eventually work in either Hong Kong or Singapore for a couple of years. I also have recently been thinking about whether it would be useful to get a Masters Degree at NUS or HKU. The price at both of these schools for a masters degree is incredibly cheap compared to prices at comparable American Universities.

My main question is whether I'd be able to get a job in Hong Kong or Singapore with a masters from NUS or HKU? Do companies prefer that Americans have Masters degrees from American universities or do they not mind that foreigners received a graduate degree from one of their domestic universities?

Let me know what you think!

Sincerely,
Chris

Postby Guest » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 4:08 pm

I'd say go for NUS! ;) But there's no guarantee that you'll get a job in Singapore/Hong Kong with a Masters from their local unis. It also depends on the field you're in I guess.

You may also try getting a research scholarship if you're getting your degree in NUS.

Good luck!

JJS

Postby JJS » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 4:41 pm

If you want to study in HK for master, don't go for HKU, go for UST (University of Science and Technology) or Hong Kong Chinese University. They both are famous in Business/ Financial Subject internationally.