Singapore Expats Forum

Dentists in Johor?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Agony

Dentists in Johor?

Postby Agony » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 8:56 pm

Has anyone been to any dentists in Johore- not JB itself cos im sure they are almost as expensive as Spore or do shoddy work- but on the outskirts? I need some major root canal work done and was told it will cost 800-1000 k here and a friend said go to the dentists in Johore- but am concerned about thier instruments and how up to date they'd be...

User avatar
briceloh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun, 03 Oct 2004

Re: Dentists in Johor?

Postby briceloh » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:01 pm

Agony wrote:Has anyone been to any dentists in Johore- not JB itself because im sure they are almost as expensive as Singapore or do shoddy work- but on the outskirts? I need some major root canal work done and was told it will cost 800-1000 k here and a friend said go to the dentists in Johore- but am concerned about thier instruments and how up to date they'd be...


WHAT??? i only did my root canal for $400. ok..well it's not the molar, so i don't knw which teeth your friend is doing. what i did was for the incisor. man.... $800....geez...
IBMing

Agony

Postby Agony » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:06 pm

Im too embarrased to say i have no clue if its a molar its at the back so i guess its the molar- and its had some old style root canaling done and now needs to be 'redone' all over... yes, the pain is just not in my mouth, its in my pocket as well!!

User avatar
briceloh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun, 03 Oct 2004

Postby briceloh » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:08 pm

yeah, i understand the pain... blame it on ourselves for not taking care of our teeth. my coffee's the main problem. can't live without it, can't remember to brush teeth after drinking it. hehe :oops:
IBMing

Agony

Postby Agony » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:14 pm

briceloh wrote:yeah, i understand the pain... blame it on ourselves for not taking care of our teeth. my coffee's the main problem. can't live without it, can't remember to brush teeth after drinking it. hehe :oops:


Actually brice i blame on my parents' neglect of their children or the fact that they were too poor in those days to afford good dental treatment for their large family of 8!!

Now..back to dentists.. anybody got some good suggestions, i cant afford to lose more teeth!

User avatar
briceloh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun, 03 Oct 2004

Postby briceloh » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:21 pm

ok, understood. i'll suggest u get yur teeth done here. better to be safe than sorry. the amount of time and money u gonna spend all the way to the dentist in johore and back? might as well get it done here and have a peace of mind. get the yellow pages and call up some of the dentists. ask them for a quote on root canal done on molar for adult. u can better compare the price. oh yar, don't forget to ask about consultation fees too. my 2 cents worth...as it's not really a big operation.
IBMing

pau-li

how about kl?

Postby pau-li » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:53 pm

hi there,
on wed we are moving from kl to singapore. seing the prices of everything in singapore i am planning regular trips to kl for doctor appointments, shopping and of course in my case visiting friends. the bus from sing is around 50 $S and accomodation is available for every budget. the doctors in gleneagels hospital are as good as in singapore i am sure.
good luck with your teeth

Agony

Re: how about kl?

Postby Agony » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:59 pm

pau-li wrote:hi there,
on wed we are moving from kl to singapore. seing the prices of everything in singapore i am planning regular trips to kl for doctor appointments, shopping and of course in my case visiting friends. the bus from sing is around 50 $S and accomodation is available for every budget. the doctors in gleneagels hospital are as good as in singapore i am sure.
good luck with your teeth


At the moment i cant even afford the bus fare believe it or not!!

I need to take a loan to get my teeth done! Yes, i thougth of KL but am concerned- in case of any complications, its too far to go back to the dentist and complain!! If i do get to KL and stay with a friend, i might just go and consult a dentist and check price and get an opinion on what can be done plus get a costing etc!

Anybody got 4D numbers to provide?

pau-li

Postby pau-li » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:21 pm

sorry but what is 4D?

emigrate to singapore

Postby emigrate to singapore » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 3:41 am

It is true NEP has its good and its bad points depending on whose view you are looking at it.

The non-bumi has been straddled with this law for a long time and I can see lots of dissatisfaction emerging from their rank. This can be seen by the ever-increasing number of emigration taking place as well as non-returning students from abroad.

I cannot start to call them traitor, as some of the bumis here seem to imply on them. Put yourself in their shoe first and feel the full effect of the discrimination for over 30 years……….Do you think you will be happy? Anybody?

Want to know why the so call non-bumis are all running away from Malaysia for greener pasture as bumis call traitors and rats? Know that even rats must be wise to jump ship when the ship is sinking.

The government has been pushing the unity theme for Malaysia for a long time - The so-called Bangsa Malaysia. How do you unite people? How are you going to unite people of different races where one race enjoys more rights than other races? Unity can never happen if there is inequality.

So, if you don't want people to comment on your special rights, then don't talk about unity in front of the non-bumis.

The next reason why the non-bumis keep on condemning the special rights is because of the implementation of it. Does every bumi has the chance to enjoy their special rights? From what non-bumis have been seeing since the past till now, only the rich and powerful are enjoying it. The poor bumis are still poor. How many poor bumis were transformed from poverty to middle class?

Sure, what you talk about your experience might be true if you put it in a nutshell. You cite examples of success cases and stories which is what it should be. But don't use special rights to deny a fellow deserving Malaysian of that chance too.

If you don't trust your fellow countrymen, whom in the world are you going to put your faith into?

The reasons have been given, countless in fact. And I believe you can also see it for yourself what kind of state Malaysia is in now. No unity, no improvement in the competitiveness in Malaysia.

I believe no community will get stronger if it depends on protection all the time. In face of globalization, each one must pull its own weight but work as a team. Otherwise we go down together.

Even when we were children we were taught the strength of sticking together. Ultimately, we probably won't affect policy much. But it will satisfy me to know, someone reading this, will accept my argument. If only one person reads this and is willing to change their way of thinking, then I have succeeded.

Because they will then carry that idea to the next person.

Like myself, I will seriously wish that my future children would not have to endure the same pain as I did. The system hasn't changed much in the past (even if they do change, the change usually isn't beneficial to non-bumis), and as I can foresee, the system won't change much in the future too.

I know things cannot be as ideal as everyone would wish. We all are persevering. Nevertheless, when there is a better opportunity worthwhile to pursue, we will go for it.

Kawan

Postby Kawan » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:49 am

emigrate to singapore wrote:It is true NEP has its good and its bad points depending on whose view you are looking at it.

The non-bumi has been straddled with this law for a long time and I can see lots of dissatisfaction emerging from their rank. This can be seen by the ever-increasing number of emigration taking place as well as non-returning students from abroad.

I cannot start to call them traitor, as some of the bumis here seem to imply on them. Put yourself in their shoe first and feel the full effect of the discrimination for over 30 years……….Do you think you will be happy? Anybody?

Want to know why the so call non-bumis are all running away from Malaysia for greener pasture as bumis call traitors and rats? Know that even rats must be wise to jump ship when the ship is sinking.

The government has been pushing the unity theme for Malaysia for a long time - The so-called Bangsa Malaysia. How do you unite people? How are you going to unite people of different races where one race enjoys more rights than other races? Unity can never happen if there is inequality.

So, if you don't want people to comment on your special rights, then don't talk about unity in front of the non-bumis.

The next reason why the non-bumis keep on condemning the special rights is because of the implementation of it. Does every bumi has the chance to enjoy their special rights? From what non-bumis have been seeing since the past till now, only the rich and powerful are enjoying it. The poor bumis are still poor. How many poor bumis were transformed from poverty to middle class?

Sure, what you talk about your experience might be true if you put it in a nutshell. You cite examples of success cases and stories which is what it should be. But don't use special rights to deny a fellow deserving Malaysian of that chance too.

If you don't trust your fellow countrymen, whom in the world are you going to put your faith into?

The reasons have been given, countless in fact. And I believe you can also see it for yourself what kind of state Malaysia is in now. No unity, no improvement in the competitiveness in Malaysia.

I believe no community will get stronger if it depends on protection all the time. In face of globalization, each one must pull its own weight but work as a team. Otherwise we go down together.

Even when we were children we were taught the strength of sticking together. Ultimately, we probably won't affect policy much. But it will satisfy me to know, someone reading this, will accept my argument. If only one person reads this and is willing to change their way of thinking, then I have succeeded.

Because they will then carry that idea to the next person.

Like myself, I will seriously wish that my future children would not have to endure the same pain as I did. The system hasn't changed much in the past (even if they do change, the change usually isn't beneficial to non-bumis), and as I can foresee, the system won't change much in the future too.

I know things cannot be as ideal as everyone would wish. We all are persevering. Nevertheless, when there is a better opportunity worthwhile to pursue, we will go for it.


Eh kawan
im a malaysian living here , unfortunately i am not chinese it aint any better here than it is for us there back in msia.. now if you dont mind
we understand your need to vent- can you open a separate thread for yourself by yourself and call it whatever u want cos all yr stuff written here wasted lah- nothing to do with the thread opened!!
Boleh? Terima kaseh yah!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests