Singapore Expats

Cats eat the strangest things

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:45 am

Erm Don't recall any facts about Hitler doing that... :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 2:02 pm

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 9:39 pm

Oh my god... But than again wikipedia is not very accurate... But than.. Ewww... :? But during the American Civil War, when Military doctors ran out of antiseptic, they used Human Urine to clean wounds... Apparently, it was pretty good..

I wonder how the wound smells if it putrifys... Rotten flesh? or Pee??

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 9:49 pm

samantha wrote:Oh my god... But than again wikipedia is not very accurate... But than.. Ewww... :? But during the American Civil War, when Military doctors ran out of antiseptic, they used Human Urine to clean wounds... Apparently, it was pretty good..

I wonder how the wound smells if it putrifys... Rotten flesh? or Pee??
it's good at cleaning wounds. but it attracts flies after that. scary what they lay in your wounds if not properly covered up... :shock:
IBMing

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:20 pm

briceloh wrote: ....but it attracts flies after that. scary what they lay in your wounds if not properly covered up... :shock:
Maggots can help to clean ulcers and other wounds. Maggots have had a bad press. Normally associated with disease and rotting flesh, doctors now realize they can treat infections. The squirming larvae were first found to have curative properties during World War I. Dr. William Baer noticed that maggots were getting into the wounds of people injured on the battlefield. Instead of making the wound worse, they helped clear it up. Dr. Baer starting using maggot therapy at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore - with excellent results. But with the advent of antibiotics in the 1940s, the therapy went out of fashion. However, according to the BBC's Trust Me I'm a Doctor program, they are now making a comeback because of concerns about infections that are resistant to antibiotic treatment.

Dr. Stephen Thomas is the sole UK breeder of maggots. He keeps flies in a sealed room and feeds them on pig's liver. The flies lay their eggs on the liver. These are then separated and sterilized and develop into maggots. The tiny maggots are sent out to hospitals in vials. Maggots clean wounds by eating dead tissue. They first spit out enzymes that liquefy the tissue and then suck up like soup. "They are very gregarious creatures and like to feed in close groups so they all get the benefits of the secretions they are producing." Maggots are also able to breathe through their bottoms which means they can work very quickly because they do not have to keep coming up for air while they are feeding. Bradford Royal Infirmary's leg ulcer unit is one hospital which uses maggot therapy. “Better than surgeons”
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Bambina

Post by Bambina » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:28 am

Maggots, urine... riveting !,,, good thing i didnt read it before dinner!

Lorenzo_Medici

Post by Lorenzo_Medici » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:48 am

Il bambino, il mio gatto mangia soltanto il la maggior parte sophisiticated gli alimenti quali il caviale ed i salmoni selvaggi. Ho provato ad alimentarlo su alcuno del roba yakky ma del lui meows e girate la sua testa via nella repulsione. L'altro giorno gli ho dato una certa acqua normale alla bevanda perché era molto caldo e humimd ma ha continuato a fiutare le mie bottiglie del champagne che si trovano in cima ai contatori della cucina in modo da ho dovuto lasciarlo mangiare alcuno del mio champagne che giorno. Trovo il mio gatto ugualmente sto richiedendo denominarlo un animale domestico della famiglia. È troppo egoista! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 1:56 pm

Lorenzo_Medici wrote:Il bambino, il mio gatto mangia soltanto il la maggior parte sophisiticated gli alimenti quali il caviale ed i salmoni selvaggi. Ho provato ad alimentarlo su alcuno del roba yakky ma del lui meows e girate la sua testa via nella repulsione. L'altro giorno gli ho dato una certa acqua normale alla bevanda perché era molto caldo e humimd ma ha continuato a fiutare le mie bottiglie del champagne che si trovano in cima ai contatori della cucina in modo da ho dovuto lasciarlo mangiare alcuno del mio champagne che giorno. Trovo il mio gatto ugualmente sto richiedendo denominarlo un animale domestico della famiglia. È troppo egoista! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing wrong with a salmon eating, champagne drinking cat. Sounds like my kind of animal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Shilo2010 » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 2:42 pm

Its true !
I agree, and its not just specific to human ear wax.
I was observing my lovely little kitten somehow manage to get her entire head into my puppy’s ear the other night.
She must have spent thirty minutes joylessly cleaning the inside of my dogs ears.
Now that’s love

Lucianno Grimalis

Post by Lucianno Grimalis » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 3:47 pm

Buon allegro! SMS, potete capire l'italiano? Non ho saputo. Quanto tempo avete mantenuto il vostro gatto e che specie dei giochi può giocare? La mia fattura settimanale per l'alimento e la bevanda del gatto è molto alta ed ho trovato un deposito di sconto soltanto per i salmoni ma non il champagne. Ho provato a dare lei la versione più poco costosa della bevanda in bottiglia, ma a nessun senso, è troppo intelligente e sempre va per la bottiglia più costosa del champagne ed allora gli dò alcuno perché ritengo molto difettoso. L'OH, sì, ha uno di quegli insiemi degli occhi che possono rendere voi il tatto molto difettoso se truffate il hahahahaaaa

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 3:57 pm

Lucianno Grimalis wrote:Buon allegro! SMS, potete capire l'italiano? Non ho saputo. Quanto tempo avete mantenuto il vostro gatto e che specie dei giochi può giocare? La mia fattura settimanale per l'alimento e la bevanda del gatto è molto alta ed ho trovato un deposito di sconto soltanto per i salmoni ma non il champagne. Ho provato a dare lei la versione più poco costosa della bevanda in bottiglia, ma a nessun senso, è troppo intelligente e sempre va per la bottiglia più costosa del champagne ed allora gli dò alcuno perché ritengo molto difettoso. L'OH, sì, ha uno di quegli insiemi degli occhi che possono rendere voi il tatto molto difettoso se truffate il hahahahaaaa
No, I don't understand Italian at all but if you keep looking you will find a better price for champagne somewhere. Maybe you will have to buy in bulk.

sms

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:43 am

ell maggots are edible too.. But a tad smelly... Haha...

Anyway didn't you watch galdiator? He was told not to remove the maggots, cos they will clean up the wound by eating up the dead and rotting flesh.. Leeches are good too... :wink: :wink: