Singapore Expats Forum

Pick-up lines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 4:07 am

My friend and I were in the park this one day and this guy was talking to a bunch of his friends. He sees these girls, walks over, and says: "do you mind if I talk to you guy -- I hate my friends". It was just such a funny introduction that I think it worked well. I actually had a chance to use it one time. We went to this lounge and all of my friends went and sat down first in this booth. There were 7 of us, so 3 one each side. I was about to pull up a chair when I saw these 3 girls sitting in the booth -- quite cute -- so I thought I would strike up conversation. It was basically along those same lines; since I could joke that they didn't leave me any room to sit with them. Worked like a charm while the rest of them sat at the table by themselves.

Other pick up lines...hmmm...I bartended for a long time and found "hello" to work really well (on both sides of the bar). I am not sure there is really such a thing as a "pick up" line -- I heard it once as an "open" because basically you need a reason to talk to a girl. If I don't see an open I won't approach (usually) because I think it has to be natural and spur-of-the-moment. Basically I think you want to keep it friendly and joke around thats the best way to get to know a stranger -- make her (or him) laugh.

Some "opens" are completley incidental however. For instance, I was at a club the other week and there was these two Benson & Hedges girls there. I had went out on a date with one of them a couple of years ago but could never remember her name so I asked her partner. She was disarmingly friendly and we ended up talking all night.

While I am at it I thought I would give some advice to some guys who are a bit shy, or who feel the have "no game". First thing, don't just talk to a girl to score -- talk to everyone -- guy, girl, attractive non-attractive. It'll get you into the social swing. You need to get used to talking socially and off the cuff. Think of it as practice for the big game -- if you save it for the big day you are bound to "pull a hammy" (hammy = hamstring -- a phrase used when someone hasn't streatched out first).

The second thing is is keep it spontaeous and watch your body language. Don't act serious -- girls don't want to meet some serious guy in a bar, they are out to have fun. A few weeks ago I was walking out of the bathroom and this girl was walking behind me -- about 5 steps. I was able to get a quick glance at her and she was really quite cute -- this is key -- serious girls will often snub something like this. Anyways as I am walking up the stairs I cover my but with my hands, turn around and say, "will you PLEASE stop checking out my ass" of course I said it with a big smile -- turned around and went over to my friends. Throughout the night we happened to keep running into each other but the ice was really already broken. Of course you can say something like "are you stalking me???" but keep it light hearted. Anyways, some time later in the nigh we just sort of started talking -- very natural. When I said what I said the first time I didn't say it with intentions of picking her up I was simply being friendly -- keep it simple.

p.s. please don't use this for evil :)

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 8:08 am

briceloh wrote:
sapphire wrote:Pick up lines don't work on me, I'm too cynical now and old of course. So, I either laugh them off or just ignore them. Anyway, happens once in a blue moon...

'Wind In My Hair', did you then go out on a date with that guy? BTW, your nick is pretty cool. :)

Sapphire: probably u'll just ask them to speak to your palm huh? :lol:

WIMH: let me guess.....long hair girl? :wink:

Lol, nah briceloh, I have never ever smacked anyone! And definitely won't do it now...as you grow older you realise that avoiding or ignoring works best. Violence never helps.

WIMH, goodluck with your date and as some others mentioned, go with your instincts. Any preconceieved notions should be set aside. Just enjoy the company...
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:33 am

sapphire wrote:WIMH, goodluck with your date and as some others mentioned, go with your instincts. Any preconceieved notions should be set aside. Just enjoy the company...

thanks, sapphire. i've always liked meeting people so i will just go along and have fun!

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:41 am

YF,

If you're in the New Haven I'm thinking of, the only pick-up line you'd ever need is 'do you want to go to Pepe's for pizza?'

BH10Y and missing the calzones at Tony & lucille's a lot

The Deal

Postby The Deal » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:30 pm

Excellent Topic. Very close to my heart.

Pick up lines, openings, introductions, witty conversation starters - whatever, they're all the same. Bottom line is you have to get things started somehow.

No, the real bottom line is that physical attraction matters much more than what your "line" is. That's what people notice first. The actual "line" is a much, much smaller variable. Of course, having said that, I wouldn't recommend "nice ass, want to fock?" too often no matter how good looking you are. Although "nice ass" has worked for me...

Eye contact is the name of the game. You either get it or you don't. If you don't, any "line" you use will have a severe handicap. If you've got it, then "hi" works as well as anything else you can say.

To the girls wondering about how to deal with Western men vs Singaporean men. Well, we're operating at a more complex level of play than most SG guys. Sorry, but it's true. They're living at home with mom and dad at 28 years old, we've been out on the scene for 10 years already at that age. This has given us a lot more time and opportunity to get our game together. Subtlety and patience are something we're going to use a lot more, rather than trying to get your mobile# and start sms'ing you 12 times per day. They're are no easy answers or signs that tell you all about a Western guy, sorry. Some are keen to marry the first SG girlfriend they get, but might come across as a jerk. Others have dated literally hundreds of local girls, but you will have no idea.

So, enjoy the game.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 2:17 pm

Subtlety and 'nice ass'? Hmmm.... :?

Eric

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 2:25 pm

sapphire wrote:Lol, nah briceloh, I have never ever smacked anyone! And definitely won't do it now...as you grow older you realise that avoiding or ignoring works best. Violence never helps.

WIMH, goodluck with your date and as some others mentioned, go with your instincts. Any preconceieved notions should be set aside. Just enjoy the company...

Oh? :?: :!: :?: sorry i meant practically show him your palm. if your palm manages to talk back to him. then he can start talking to u. ermm... u mean u always smack guys when u were young? :roll: :oops:
IBMing

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 2:26 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Subtlety and 'nice ass'? Hmmm.... :?

Eric

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nice call, eric!

The Deal

Postby The Deal » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 2:40 pm

Good point, well noted!

Sometimes, an "invitation" is all that is needed. You have to make the intro fit the situation. If you want it, and I know you want it, and you know I know you want it - it will kind of deflate things if I walk up and start a lingering conversation about a movie I saw the day before.

"Nice Ass" is an after-midnight, in a sleazy bar "line". Whereas "what's your connection speed" is more appropriate for a coffee shop or airport WiFi hotspot. The intention might be the same, or might not.

Anyway, enjoy it while you can.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 2:46 pm

Asians, Europeans, Americans, whatever, but if it comes to the 'art' of flirting (and pick up lines as one of the ways to flirt), leave it to the Latin Americans, like the Brazilians, Cubans, Colombians or alike, you and I would be embarrassed to see the difference. :lol:

Eric

local lass

Postby local lass » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 3:04 pm

A point to add to Eric's- I had no problems at all with the men when I was travelling through Northern Europe. But once I hit southern/Latin countries like Italy, Spain and France, the men were so flirtatious and outrageously complimentary that I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it ;)

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 3:07 pm

local lass wrote:A point to add to Eric's- I had no problems at all with the men when I was travelling through Northern Europe. But once I hit southern/Latin countries like Italy, Spain and France, the men were so flirtatious and outrageously complimentary that I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it ;)

tat's where they got ya. :wink:
IBMing

local lass

Postby local lass » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 3:28 pm

briceloh wrote:tat's where they got ya. :wink:

Nah I got a few prepositions but didn't mess around because I was in a relationship then. But even now that I'm single and back in Singapore, I still don't mess with the Italians and French. They're good looking, they're glib and they really know how to spoil a woman... but they're such heartbreakers, I tell ya ;)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 3:33 pm

local lass wrote:
briceloh wrote:tat's where they got ya. :wink:

Nah I got a few prepositions but didn't mess around because I was in a relationship then. But even now that I'm single and back in Singapore, I still don't mess with the Italians and French. They're good looking, they're glib and they really know how to spoil a woman... but they're such heartbreakers, I tell ya ;)

what about the spanish? :wink:

local lass

Postby local lass » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 3:36 pm

Somehow I haven't met any Spanish people in Singapore yet. I wonder why.