Singapore Expats Forum

Pick-up lines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Pick-up lines

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 3:53 pm

i often visit this site while having a drink in a wireless surf zone. one day this guy came up to me and asked what my connection speed was and of course i had no idea and tried to check various icons on my notebook and while i was doing that we struck up a conversation and to cut a long story short he asked me out on a date. btw he was caucasian.

just curious what pick-up lines you guys use, and can a girl tell from your pick-up line whether you have good intentions or not? by good intentions i mean you genuinely want to get to know the girl as a friend and possibly more in future. by not, i mean you just want a one-night stand or fling.

Re: Pick-up lines

Postby Guest » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 5:40 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:by not, i mean you just want a one-night stand or fling.

what the hell is wrong with one night stand?

selfish_gene

Postby selfish_gene » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 5:54 pm

the best pick-up lines aren't pick-up lines, if that makes any sense...
Oi! Oi! Oi!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 6:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:

it's a matter of preference. i just would rather not.

so, since you seem like the kind who would pick up a woman for a one-night stand, how would one tell from a guy's pick-up line whether he has a one-night stand in mind?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:07 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

it's a matter of preference. i just would rather not.

so, since you seem like the kind who would pick up a woman for a one-night stand, how would one tell from a guy's pick-up line whether he has a one-night stand in mind?

I don't think you can tell the difference from a pick up line. No matter the end result in mind, men will try to say the right thing to get your attention. How else to find out who you are and let you know who I am?

I think the difference becomes more obvious as the night (or dates) progress. A guy with a real interest, even if he has desire for you, will keep himself in check until it becomes a mutual thing. Somebody looking for a bed buddy (more than a one night stand but less than a relationship) will probably also be this way, at least until he knows it won't happen.

A one night stand will do all possible to impress you. Sincere out the wazoo. Dazzle you with compliments. The idea is to break down your defenses and let hime move into your personal sphere. But it's really all about manipulating the situation with an end game in mind.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't think you can tell the difference from a pick up line. No matter the end result in mind, men will try to say the right thing to get your attention. How else to find out who you are and let you know who I am?

I think the difference becomes more obvious as the night (or dates) progress. A guy with a real interest, even if he has desire for you, will keep himself in check until it becomes a mutual thing. Somebody looking for a bed buddy (more than a one night stand but less than a relationship) will probably also be this way, at least until he knows it won't happen.

A one night stand will do all possible to impress you. Sincere out the wazoo. Dazzle you with compliments. The idea is to break down your defenses and let hime move into your personal sphere. But it's really all about manipulating the situation with an end game in mind.

Spoken like a true player! :mrgreen:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Spoken like a true player! :mrgreen:

Been there, done that.

Now, they come after me. 8)

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:57 pm

Pick up lines don't work on me, I'm too cynical now and old of course. So, I either laugh them off or just ignore them. Anyway, happens once in a blue moon...

'Wind In My Hair', did you then go out on a date with that guy? BTW, your nick is pretty cool. :)
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 8:28 pm

sapphire wrote:Pick up lines don't work on me, I'm too cynical now and old of course. So, I either laugh them off or just ignore them. Anyway, happens once in a blue moon...

'Wind In My Hair', did you then go out on a date with that guy? BTW, your nick is pretty cool. :)

Sapphire: probably u'll just ask them to speak to your palm huh? :lol:

WIMH: let me guess.....long hair girl? :wink:
IBMing

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 8:46 pm

briceloh wrote:
sapphire wrote:Pick up lines don't work on me, I'm too cynical now and old of course. So, I either laugh them off or just ignore them. Anyway, happens once in a blue moon...

Sapphire: probably u'll just ask them to speak to your palm huh? :lol:

WIMH: let me guess.....long hair girl? :wink:

Sapphire, thanks. i like your handle too - when i'm wealthy i will adorn myself with lots of sapphires! we agreed on lunch later this week and i guess i'll go. he seemed nice enough and professional. also it wasn't in boat quay or pick-up joints like that. he works nearby where i was having coffee so maybe he wasn't exactly prowling. anyway for a total stranger i would give it a 50-50. there's a 50% chance he's a nice guy and 50% he's a jerk.

just wanted some pointers from an expat forum on how to interpret his words and actions. i know how to read local guys but with expats it's kind of dicey sometimes. Strong Eagle's comments were very useful. Thanks SE! If he starts being too complimentary and charming i'll know to back off. and if he asks genuinely interested questions then well, who knows. we'll see where it goes. anyone else with advice? i would appreciate it.

Brice, shoulder length, if you must know. used to be longer but i chopped a lot off after breaking up with my ex-fiance just over a month ago. it's a female thing... new beginning... new look... get rid of extra baggage kind of thing :D

SMS, i have a question to ask you since you're american and i'm having a problem dealing with my american ex. would you mind if i pm you on this?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:10 pm

Wind in my hair,

Follow your instincts, they are the best (if not only) tools you have, and they are fully yours...

And listen to yourself, not so much to expats experiences here (including this one :lol: ). Sorry fellow caucasians, no offense meant...

No need to know others' intentions, more important what your own intentions are, I'd say.

Give it a go if you feel good about it, if not, stay home and tell him honestly.

Eric

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:19 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Wind in my hair,

Follow your instincts, they are the best (if not only) tools you have, and they are fully yours...

And listen to yourself, not so much to expats experiences here (including this one :lol: ). Sorry fellow caucasians, no offense meant...

No need to know others' intentions, more important what your own intentions are, I'd say.

Give it a go if you feel good about it, if not, stay home and tell him honestly.

Eric

thanks for the encouragement, eric. i do go with my instincts, that's why i agreed to have lunch with a perfect stranger. but i also appreciate good advice from more experienced folks. it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

having dated two caucasians before, one british and one american, i have been caught off guard and just don't want that to happen again. with my singaporean chinese boyfriends i always had a handle on the situation and knew where it was going. with my caucasian boyfriends it was always more of a guessing game... probably due to differences in cultures and perhaps age. i'm not sworn off caucasians forever, that would be an unfair prejudice... but i need all the help i can get if i'm to be involved with one again :?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:26 pm

Good luck with the date. There are good men out there but few and far between and finding them seems like a herculean task sometimes!! :wink:

Eric from the Netherland

Postby Eric from the Netherland » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 1:22 am

My favourite is:

Is that a mirror in your pants?? Cause I can see myself in them!!!

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 1:24 am

That post above me.....is that live or Memorex?
And the sultans - yeah the sultans
they play creole...Creole, baby