Singapore Expats Forum

Any single expats in Bukit Timah

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
pinger80

Any single expats in Bukit Timah

Postby pinger80 » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 1:53 pm

Hi, there!

Just a simple survey here...

I'm working in west part (near julong). I want to live somewhere convenient to both my working place and city area within reasonable budget.

I've seem a very nice place in upper bukit timah. But I have some concern about the transportation.. .It takes 10 ms bus to bukit batok MRT...also needs 30ms bus to orchard.. dunnt really understand how convenient this cld be? Does it take long time to wait for the bus?
I hope to have more social life and make new friends....not sure how the single ppl living that ares spending their spare time... where you guys hanging around?

Anybody living that area can give some advice? Thanks! :roll:

get a flat

Postby get a flat » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:16 am

close (within walking distance) to any MRT station along the westbound line and you'll have a better chance of getting places fast rather than living in Bt Timah area.

Kitten Heel
Regular
Regular

I live in Bukit Timah

Postby Kitten Heel » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:47 pm

Yes. I like in Bukit Timah and I really like it here. There are pros and cons about living here, and just to list a few of them:

Cons:
No MRT

Pros:
The buses go almost everywhere.
You have a higher chance of getting a seat on the bus in the morning, as opposed to being in the sardine can called MRT.
Holland Village is just a stone throw away.
Newton Circle is not that far either. Good when you are looking for food.
The Cold Storage here sells Vegemite
This area probably has the highest concentration of expats, except for Orchard Road. But then again, you are paying a lot more in Orchard Road.

Feel free to PM me if you need to find out about other stuff. Not sure what is your situation so the advice might not be helpful.

IrishinSing

To Bukit Timah or not to Bukit Timah

Postby IrishinSing » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 2:55 pm

I just got here a few weeks ago, so I might not have a lot of depth here:

But:

1 bus (184) takes you to Clementi MRT
2 buses will take you to Dover ( 184 or 75 then 74)

I bus it to MRT and then to Queesway Mall for sports stuff and West mall for "mall stuff" - very handy.

You can walk to cold storage, bukit timah plaza shopping center and the beauty world center. The last one has some great deals for household stuff.

The food courts opposite beauty world are great, although the prata is not as good as Malaysia. Might be a personal choice think there.

Bukit Batok park is a short walk.

It was the best value apartment I saw.

On the negative side: there are not a lot of places to go for a beer (if someone knows, let me know). But there is always the city for that.

Send me a PM if you need any help etc.

Noel

watering holes

Postby watering holes » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 3:27 pm

Bus 61 takes you round the corner from Alexandra Village/Queensway Shopping Centre to the Handle Bar , 1 Lock Road, Gillman Village. It's a bikers hangout.

The Old Brown Shoe, 619F Bukit Timah Road, close to Cellar Door/Culina
http://www.culina.com.sg/Shops/CulinaShops.htm

hkgal

Postby hkgal » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:52 am

i live in the Bukit Timah area, i think if your living place can offer shuttle service to the MRT station or some nearby hangout place will be better as the time will be much shorter for you go to work / back home.

Buses are only frequent at the peak hour, for the other time, it takes around 15 mintues to wait, so if there are many choices of bus routes are suitable for you, then it will be great.

For the hang out place to drink, Holland Village is the choice, otherwise, you can try the 6th Avenue.

Be frank, i like the environment there, but sometime a bit sick of the taking a long time to back home (unless you don't mind to take the cab...)

Wish you good luck in finding the apartment :wink:

Humour_Me

Postby Humour_Me » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 1:45 am

IrishinSing,

There's a "Bojangles" bar at Upper Bukit Timah at Rail Mall. And if you travel towards town, there are quite a number of pubs...The other places you could go to would be at Holland Village. Just hop on bus number 75. I like going to Tangos' - nice, chilled Chardonnay at S$5.50 at happy hour.

And welcome to Singapore.

HMe

AS

Re: To Bukit Timah or not to Bukit Timah

Postby AS » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 8:30 am

IrishinSing wrote:I just got here a few weeks ago, so I might not have a lot of depth here:

But:

1 bus (184) takes you to Clementi MRT
2 buses will take you to Dover ( 184 or 75 then 74)

I bus it to MRT and then to Queesway Mall for sports stuff and West mall for "mall stuff" - very handy.

You can walk to cold storage, bukit timah plaza shopping center and the beauty world center. The last one has some great deals for household stuff.

The food courts opposite beauty world are great, although the prata is not as good as Malaysia. Might be a personal choice think there.

Bukit Batok park is a short walk.

It was the best value apartment I saw.

On the negative side: there are not a lot of places to go for a beer (if someone knows, let me know). But there is always the city for that.

Send me a PM if you need any help etc.

Noel

Hey Noel

I live in the same area.

Mall Stuff : If you dont mind changing buses, you can reach west mall bukit batok in half the time (than boon lay jurong point).

Beer :
1. Bojangles at Rail Mall : Happy hrs before 8pm
2. Bojangles on bk timah rd : ditto
3. There is a nice wine place in rail mall too (forget the name)
4. Maple Pub on Jurong Ketchil (i dont like the place too much though)
4. If ur looking for a non-pub beer place there are tons of hawker centres all over the place
5. Holland Village : 970 from bk timah rd is your best bet if you live between 6th ave and beauty world on bk timah rd.
6. My place (aka beer heaven). Will be kegging a batch of IPA, Hefeweizen and Cinamon Spiced European ale over the next few weeks.

cheers
Anand