Singapore Expats Forum

Kissing on forehead

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

guest501

Kissing on forehead

Postby guest501 » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:41 am

If a guy kissed a lady in the forehead , what does it mean?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:57 am

in the forehead or on the forehead?

For the latter, in my 'culture' it is sometimes done as a means of showing a kind of 'protective' caretaking, together with a hug.

Eric

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:59 am

a) he was drunk and missed her lips.
b) a sign of affection stemming from a warm and trusting friendship. A kiss on the forehead is close but does not convey the same level of intimacy as a kiss on the lips.
c) the gentleman is smitten with the lady and being a gentleman, is deferential, probably wanting to kiss her on the lips but being unsure of the lady's response, he chooses the course that allows her to feel safe while he leaves open the opportunity for her to express her own feelings.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 3:26 pm

it means progress is made in courtship? hehe
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 4:12 pm

Hey riversandlakes, I see you found the Angry Board!

sms

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 5:28 pm

I believe it indicates a more platonic, brotherly relationship. Feelings based on filial respinsibilty not your basic, garden-variety lust.

Re: Kissing on forehead

Postby Guest » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 5:35 pm

guest501 wrote:If a guy kissed a lady in the forehead , what does it mean?

it probably means she's dead.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And this from an unregistered poster - excellent. Anyway, that's for another thread.

Yes, it is a protective kiss, as opposed to a sexual one.

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 7:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Excelent - and this from an unregistered poster, but that's for another thread.

Anyway, a kiss ON the forehead is a paternal, protective action, not a sexual one.

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:46 pm

And since we're on the subject, why do many Westerners kiss their children on the lips?

Genuinely curious.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Postby beenhere10years » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 5:15 am

That's easy: love.

You have to ask yourself:

Is kissing an innate human activity or a learned practice?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:19 am

Global Citizen wrote:And since we're on the subject, why do many Westerners kiss their children on the lips?

Genuinely curious.

Why not? Kissing is a form of physical intimacy and it does not have to be sexual at all. OK, the open mouth, tongue dancing kiss is sexual but kissing on the lips is connectedness, more than a kiss on the cheek. I think this is genetically ingrained into us. Western children tend to reject this as they move into puberty, and once again accept it when they move into adulthood and do the same thing to their own children.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:28 am

beenhere10years wrote:That's easy: love.

You have to ask yourself:

Is kissing an innate human activity or a learned practice?

Excellent. and accurate I suppose. But that said, obviously the practice is not widespread or the poster wouldn't have raised the question. But, I would have to agree.

Actually, it is a learned practice. Not to be confused with being taught however. I think via observation of peers, family, etc. There are lots of society that do not "kiss" in the normally accepted fashion. Take the eskimos for instance, there it is rubbing noses. Also, parents & children kissing is kinda like prefunctory pecks, not erotic, exploring kissing that you did with your girl/boy friend until you got married :mrgreen:.

sms

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 9:35 am

Global Citizen wrote:And since we're on the subject, why do many Westerners kiss their children on the lips?

Genuinely curious.

It is genuine affection, my mother kissed the kids on their lips until our teens, I kiss mine on the lips - until they protest, especially here in Singapore.

For non-Europeans it might be seen as odd, but then many Europeans see the relative 'coolness' of Asians towards their children as odd as well.

I still remember kissing my first wife's father on the cheeks, yes he is French, four times everytime we met - never did that before but it is nice, setting a bond.

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:35 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
It is genuine affection, my mother kissed the kids on their lips until our teens, I kiss mine on the lips - until they protest, especially here in Singapore.

For non-Europeans it might be seen as odd, but then many Europeans see the relative 'coolness' of Asians towards their children as odd as well.

I still remember kissing my first wife's father on the cheeks, yes he is French, four times everytime we met - never did that before but it is nice, setting a bond.

Many thanks for your replies.
Vaucluse, I'm familiar with kisses on the cheeks (though I only do it thrice and its mainly with Europeans as is customary) the rest get one if they're lucky :wink: and sometimes its more of a touching of the cheek gesture with friends or air kissing.

Arab men too practice kissing of the cheeks but this is confined to men only publicly.

Asians and I suppose this can vary from family to family or culturally are very affectionate towards their children as well but kissing on the lips is relatively rare or even unheard of but like everything else I'm sure there are exceptions. Take my parents for instance, who are very affectionate and loving but kissing was always confined to the cheeks or forehead. One similarity almost all Asian mamas (similar to Italian mamas) share is we (including me) show our love through food, always hovering to make sure the kids eat and its almost always the first question I'm asked when i go home to visit; what would I like to eat or if I'm hungry?

sms: Good one abt the girl/boyfriend. :wink: Why you naughty devil!!!

BH10Y : What is the age range of your kids? Wondering if your kids are at the stage that Vaucluse pointed out where public displays of affection are a huge embarrasment and turn off yet? Gender plays a part too here from my own experience.