Singapore Expats Forum

entry-level position in finance

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

doubt

entry-level position in finance

Postby doubt » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 7:14 pm

Hi

I have a BTech in electrical and electronics engineering.However, Iam interested in a career in finance. I cleared the CFA level 1 exam in June 2005.Could someone give me some suggestions as to how to proceed with my job search?

Would the knowledge I gained from the CFA level 1 curriculum be enough to help me get some entry-level position? At this point I am eager to gain experience in this field so I am also looking for part-time, temporary positions and contract jobs.

I will be writing the CFA level 2 exam next year.Do I need to attend some other course to make myself more marketable? If so, could you suggest suitable courses?

I would really appreciate your replies.

Banker

Postby Banker » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 7:05 pm

I was engineer by education, and been working in bank (Treasury) for the past 8 yrs. Actually, nowadays, engineering background is a plus for banking job, as it provide good analytical skills especially in the growing sophiscation in the treasury products. CFA is definitely good as it provide good qualification n transition for engineering to finance.

Best way to start is to enroll for Management graduate programs with any banks you can think of. Just visit the websites of the banks, and keep the list of opening and closing date of the management programs. Keep trying. It is good starting ground as the program provide good training n fun.

Good luck...

Postby Guest » Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:32 pm

I am not sure the CFA is helpful or not, but certainly they prefer MBA holders than CFA holders, and especially if you paid by yourself for all the 3 levels of exams.... lots of money.. and equally enough to get a Master in Finance in the Local University.

Talking about hte management trainee program. They prefer fresh graduate, or workers with LESS than 3 years working experience. and the number is very limited, so u gotta be top of the brass to get it. Of course, management training program doesn't really require any financial knowledge, they look at problem solving skills and personality.

so, CFA? I am not sure, coz i am also an engineer doing Level 1 now. :)

doubt

Postby doubt » Mon, 15 Aug 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try for the management programs. By the way, would 'cold calling' help in singapore banks? If it would, then could someone give me some suggestions regarding how to go about it?
:?

WANTED!

Postby WANTED! » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 2:40 pm

Hi guys,

are u trying to get yourselves established in the financial sector? My company is currently in search for management trainees (batch 304) and would like to invite suitable candidates down for the interview process. Please contact me, Jessica @ btassoc@singnet.com.sg / alternatively, you can call 62288618.

Good LUCK!