Singapore Expats Forum

UK BOBBY

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

wgb100

UK BOBBY

Postby wgb100 » Fri, 09 Jul 2004 5:47 am

HI Ladies and Gents

I have been reading this forum for months and suddenly thought nothing ventured nothing gained so here goes........

Is there anyone out there who could change mine and my families lives. We (thats my wife Michelle (ex model and currently medical sales rep) Sophie my 13 year old daughter, Christopher my 8 year old son and Thomas my 3 year old terror) have visted Singapore numerous times over the past 13 years and want to leave old Blighty and join the fun with you lucky people.

So could anyone help point me in the right direction for a job/career.

I am a 38 year old serving Police Officer with 16 years experience. I have
spent 7 years on a Criminal Investigation Department as a substansive detective. During this time I gained invaluable skills in interviewing and investigation including time spent on 3 murder investigation rooms.
I am currently on anti terrorist duties at a UK International Airport.
Before the Police I was in the British Army for 6 years and served in Northern Ireland for 2 years in the 80's.

My am selling over 22 years of British trust so if you know of any possible takers please dont hesitate to contact me.

We will be in Singapore from 5th August 2004 till 11 August 2004.

Thanks for reaqding my dream.

Best wishes

Warren

Bubbles

UK Bobby

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:01 am

Hello Warren

I'm British and currently in the UK living here. I lived in Singapore with my family and husband for over eight years, and you're right, it's a fabulous place.

However, after reading your post, which is understandable as I too sometimes long to go back, I feel I have to mention a few things....

You will have to check the validity of my answers, or someone else on here will........Jpatokal, NBB, Banafa? ...help me on this one...

You are a police officer, which is great, but I do not know if the Singapore Police recruit out of country. If so, my guess is that it would be in collaberation with other forces worldwide on a special project. I guess they would not employ, permanently, an expat. I have no notion what the pay is for an officer here, or whether you would be entitled to join even if you could..........and assuming that you want that.......but my guess is that you maybe very surprises at the level of pay, i.e. low, as compared with the UK. Again, I would need one of our regulars to confirm that for you......help guys!!!

Singapore has been going through some very tough times, on the job front. The deals for expats are nothing like they used to be. For example, it is now an exception rather than a rule for a club, schooling etc to be provided.

Housing is cheaper than it was but still pricey. Cars are three times the price of the UK same model. Food is very expensive though you can eat out much cheaper than at home.

Schools are pay only. The schools most expats send their kids to are Tanglin Junior or Dover Court and United World College for the seniors. When I was there last and kids in school, in 98 the fees for UWC for one child for a year was nearly £5000, so, it is very expensive.

You have to take these things on board before you decide to go. I'm not sure what sort of employment you are looking for. There are many kinds of security work but these are undertaken by Singaporeans or Third Country Nationals. i.e. People from out of Sing, and not from Europe, usually.

I don't wish to paint a black picture as I'm sure someone like you who wishes to go so much would fit in well, it's just that I think it maybe more difficult than you think to find employment.

OK, anyone on the forum who could point this guy and his family to good job agencies? Or give him pointers. Please shoot down in flames any comments you think I've made guys which don't apply.

I do hope you can follow your dream as, having lived there myself, I can only say that it's a FABULOUS place to live..........but only if you have enough of the old cash....

Still Looking....

Postby Still Looking.... » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 2:21 am

Hello Warren

Bubbles is right, and as you have seen, Singapore is a great place to live - especially I would imagine if you have children (however, I'm not sure about what happens with teenagers - I'm not sure that there's much to do for them - but I'm also not in the teen scene so don't know!)

My boyfriend has been transfered over here and I gave up my job three months ago to join him. I didn't think there would be any problems getting a job as I am experienced in my field and have always got work easily before. The jobs I have been offered are TERRIBLE money (way below minimum wage and I was in the high 40% tax bracket in the UK)

General cost of living in cheaper than the UK (if you don't have a car) but rent is high - especially for the bigger places that a family would need.

I guess my point is...Singapore is a great place to live but find a job BEFORE you come out - leaving it to chance would be a risky move especially with a family.

Good luck, I hope that you make it, it really is good.

Still Looking.......

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 8:04 pm

Still Looking.... wrote:My boyfriend has been transfered over here and I gave up my job three months ago to join him. I didn't think there would be any problems getting a job as I am experienced in my field and have always got work easily before. The jobs I have been offered are TERRIBLE money (way below minimum wage and I was in the high 40% tax bracket in the UK)

Minimum wage in what country? This is Singapore, they don't pander to the masses with such communist concepts. Haven't you noticed that Wage Flexibility is the new buzzword of the month in the Straits Times?

General cost of living in cheaper than the UK (if you don't have a car) but rent is high - especially for the bigger places that a family would need.

Then go HDB.

I guess my point is...Singapore is a great place to live but find a job BEFORE you come out - leaving it to chance would be a risky move especially with a family.

I completely agree with this though.

Still Looking

Postby Still Looking » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 2:39 pm

JP

I was refering to the minimum wage in the UK

I don't hold with communist principles and in fact minimum wage isn't a communist principle

Minimum wage, generally affects very little of the population as it is set at such a low level - however, it does prevent serious exploitation of certain sections of the population

It also encourages people into the workforce who would normally opt out - this is more an issue in the UK where it could be viewed that there is a "benefit trap" i.e people "earn" more by opting out of work and claiming benefits. A minimum wage makes it more advantageous for people to work. I don't think getting people off benefits and into the workforce is an issue here as I don't think benefits as such are available (you may put me right here?) BUT, that does mean - with no benefits and no minimum wage - people can be exploited and live in abject poverty. Ethical? Each has their own opinion......

You mention "Wage Flexibility" - I agree that there has to be give in the employment market to follow the fluctuations of supply and demand - but I believe that there should be a cap on how low the wages can go = minimum wage.

I understand the problems that this can cause for start up businesses and there are exceptions in the UK for certain types of business.

I was using it in my mail to "UK Bobby" indicate the very low level of wages that employers feel they can offer

However - I think that Minimum Wage would benefit very many people in Singapore - particularly women I would imagine - is there parity of pay between men and women here? Domenstic helps/maids seem to be paid very poorly - "A fair day's pay for a fairs day's work"????

You dismiss my comment of high rent with "go HBD". My comment was to the gentleman wanting to move here. -bearing he & his family want to move here to increase their quality of life (and 99% chance they are living in house with garden - the Uk simply has more land that Singapore and UK police are renumerated pretty well) I would imagine that where they live is going to be a high consideration. The HBDs here are of very good quality but even HBD's, compared to living in a mortgaged house in parts of the UK (outside of the South East/South), could be viewed as expensive.

Also, cultuarally in the UK, apartments are generally seen as "less good" than houses - it's just something that has grown up through the ages - I think this is in association with the UK's "Buy" rather than "Rent" menatility (European near neighbours eg Spain are happy to rent apartments - much more the "norm") Every nationality has preferences that develop through generations. There is a lesser desire to live in close proximity of each others neighbours in the UK but in the past there has been the room to have houses - now though, apartments are becoming more the norm as the space become scarce in places people want to live....If UK Bobby wanted to come and rent a house, like for like, as compared to what he may have in the UK, say a three bed semi - perfectly possible - it would be almost impossible due to the very high level of rent

So....my mail to UK Bobby was intended to be of a helpful nature - I was simply stating that getting a job before arriving is essential (to know what you will earn) and making general statements on cost of living (rent high, having a car high, general living low) versus expected wages (generally lower than UK -like for like work).....

Rgds

Still Looking

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 5:39 pm

U could try talking to Gurkha Command as they take on foreign talent here in Singapore - They form part of the SPF but also operate as a seperate group under different circumstances.

tanVincent

Postby tanVincent » Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:17 am

Hi,

I guess I might be too late for him but I do know that the changi International Airport hire security officers to do checks on baggages, runways and stuffs. Not those normal security guards but highly trained individuals.

Cheers
Vincent

gary2lou

Postby gary2lou » Tue, 07 Sep 2004 1:47 pm

Warren

I am a serving UK PC on a career break here in Singapore.
My wife is a Clinical Research Manager with a European Company and was seconded here for 2 years.
I too have over 20 years service including experience investigating major incidents.
I made extensive enquiries in relation to employment before I came here and also on arrival but found that any suitable positions were so low paid that the salary wouldn't even cover our childcare (and we only have one!)
This includes the Police who are also badly paid and unfortunately the culture here is one of paper qualifications and experience does not count for much.
For example, a 20 year PC without Degree or Diploma appears to earn substantially less than a new recruit with one.
We can survive comfortably on my wifes salary (with benefits) as she is on an Expat package.
There may be more opportunity for your wife in Clinical Sales as Singapore is aiming to become a centre of excellence in this particular industry so there should be more opportunities.
The way to do it would be for her to apply for a vacancy in an American or European company with an office in Singapore and push for a secondment.
The other option is for you to look at Corporate Security, particularly with your CID and Anti Terrorism experience. Most big companies, particularly in the Oil industry are having to spend out on this and most of them have large offices in Singapore.
I have a friend in this buisness here in Singapore who works with a few Ex UK Police officers so there are opportunities.
If you post your E Mail address I am happy to help with any info if I can
Cheers