Singapore Expats Forum

Sundaymorningstaple

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shilo

Sundaymorningstaple

Postby Shilo » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 4:13 am

Sms.
I have been piecing bits and pieces together about who you are.
Just like to say you have my respect.
I find many of my views fall inline with your own.

Shilo.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 9:28 am

Shilo,

Thanks.

I've always followed my own drummer. (Can also read that as opinionated as well I suppose :mrgreen: )

sms

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 9:48 am

Same.

See ya.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 1:55 pm

Strange, I have more respect for people who offer different views than mine and are willing and capable to discuss this.

But, I guess it's easier to respect someone who is of the same opinion - less controversial.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:12 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Strange, I have more respect for people who offer different views than mine and are willing and capable to discuss this.

But, I guess it's easier to respect someone who is of the same opinion - less controversial.

Not quite sure where you are coming from. I respect your opinion. You have a right to your opinions and I am sure from your particular background and upbringing you believe wholeheartedly in any comments you post on any thread on this forum. This is your right and as long as you remain objective I have not reason to not respect you or your views even though I may hold opposite views. This is what debates & discussions are all about. I give respect to anybody who carries themselves well, whether they agree or disagree is not a factor.

sms

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Strange, I have more respect for people who offer different views than mine and are willing and capable to discuss this.

Not quite sure where you are coming from.
sms

Vaucluse is in the region of the provence in the south east of France, truely one of the most beautiful regions of France, if not Europe. I assume vaucluse named himself here on the forum because he is a native "vauclusien"?

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:29 pm

Oops! Sorry to confuse you Eric. It's one of those damn Yank figures of speech. Where a person is coming from is not to mean that literally but more like "Where is his state of mind to make such a comment."

sms

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:36 pm

I know sms, I was just playing naive here...:lol:

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:45 pm

That's okay. I just learned something else new today. My knowledge of Europe sucks in general. :oops: :(
sms

SydneySider

Postby SydneySider » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 4:28 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Not quite sure where you are coming from.
sms

Vaucluse is in the region of the provence in the south east of France, truely one of the most beautiful regions of France, if not Europe. I assume vaucluse named himself here on the forum because he is a native "vauclusien"?

Eric

He is probably from VAUCLUSE in Sydney Australia. Very nice suburb right next to the beach, where the affluent people of Sydney lives.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 5:05 pm

That would make sense to me because his English seems too good for a French person... Anyway let's wait until his return and we should know!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 5:07 pm

I am also getting curious here and now, as his knowledge of football / soccer seems way too good for being an aussie :mrgreen:

Eric

Re: Sundaymorningstaple

Postby Guest » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 5:25 pm

Shilo wrote:Sms.
I have been piecing bits and pieces together about who you are.
Just like to say you have my respect.
I find many of my views fall inline with your own.

Shilo.

I must say you have been busy, Shilo!

I have no complaints either about dear old SMS. I am sure he is a great person off this forum in his spare time. I have also read many of his posts and he has made some pretty interesting comments in some of the responses he has posted. I have to admit his posts are very original and profound!

However, I cannot help noticing his powers of persuasion, they are something to be reckoned with. Let me explain in everday average lingo.

If he does not agree with what you have to say, he will say so in the first round of discussions/debates. If he still does not agree and feels he can't change your mind then he will say something stronger than before in the second round of discussions/debates. This will continue till at least the cycle of discussions has reached its third or even fourth round!!! During which time you are getting angry at what's happening and he is getting even angerier at why are you not giving in.

It is a hugely perplexing experience!! May God help you if this ever happens to you. My advice to you would be to always agree with him, not because it is better to do so, but because it will save your sanity.

The final blow comes when you realize things cannot continue in this fashion any longer. It is a sitauation where you either resign and do a runner or you stay put. If you stay put then you have to prepare yourself to face the music because it is during this round that he applies the next step in his strategy which is known as 'war against those who REFUSE TO SURRENDER or CHANGE THEIR MINDS or FAIL TO AGREE WITH HIM' !!! :lol: So you have really had it!!!

Now in simplistic terms this would mean that you either stop visiting the thread or read what he has to say to you. Because by now, which would be the fourth or the fifth round I guess, he would have used his tools, which are known to many of us on this forum as 'tools of mass destruction' and believe you me, they can really destroy you in a matter of seconds and leave you feeling so disabled for weeks, which may necessitate you either go and see your pschiatrist for help or you just hide inside your duvet or a comforter till someone misses you at home or in your office where you work!!!!! You definitely need sorting out!!!

Remember I mentioned earlier on his "powers of persuasion"???

You are really in trouble if you don't agree with him or vice versa. His tools of destruction are so powerful that you curse the almighty God for ever creating the flexible, the flowerly, full of lovely adjectives and vowels and consonants, the (English) language of the English on this planet EVER... :lol: :lol:

SMS, don't get offended now, do you hear??? I am only fighting a friendly war with you with my rusty and draconian tools!! That's why I always surrender, so no hard feelings dear :lol: :lol:

I sign off in friendship. :D :D

PS: No hard feelings are intended towards anyone in this post and in particular towards SMS, for without him this forum would not be an interesting place to visit :D :D

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 7:31 pm

Ah, ok - my apologies for having caused this confusion - never thought my moniker would lead to discussion - thought my avatar would . . .

Thanks, Eric for the compliment on Football, Carpe Diem on my English skills. (learned the language when I was 8, parents were working in Washington DC for four years.)

Mother's parents from Vaucluse, France and I spent 12 years in Vaucluse, Sydney - on Parsley Bay, Fitzwilliam Rd, where my parents have a house. (Parents chose Vaucluse in Sydney due to the coincidence in name)

Worked in Amsterdam, Paris, Sydney, San Jose, Tokyo and Singapore.

Married my third time, two kids.

Whew, that's my CV out of the way, now where were we?

Ah yes - I guess the enjoyment is in the joust is the fascinating part - especially if the proponent of the cinflicting opinion can hold his weight, like SMS, Eric, a few others and many guests, who just couldn't be bothered regsietring - which is their right, of course. (And some guests are a pain in the arse/ass)

'nuff said Image

keeper9

Postby keeper9 » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 8:02 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Ah, ok - my apologies for having caused this confusion - never thought my moniker would lead to discussion - thought my avatar would . . .

Thanks, Eric for the compliment on Football, Carpe Diem on my English skills. (learned the language when I was 8, parents were working in Washington DC for four years.)

Mother's parents from Vaucluse, France and I spent 12 years in Vaucluse, Sydney - on Parsley Bay, Fitzwilliam Rd, where my parents have a house. (Parents chose Vaucluse in Sydney due to the coincidence in name)

Worked in Amsterdam, Paris, Sydney, San Jose, Tokyo and Singapore.

Married my third time, two kids.

Whew, that's my CV out of the way, now where were we?

Ah yes - I guess the enjoyment is in the joust is the fascinating part - especially if the proponent of the cinflicting opinion can hold his weight, like SMS, Eric, a few others and many guests, who just couldn't be bothered regsietring - which is their right, of course. (And some guests are a pain in the arse/ass)

Your avatar makes u look like a Italian mafia boss. :D

Return to “General Discussions”