Singapore Expats Forum

Diet

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shilo

Diet

Postby Shilo » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:21 am

I need some help with my diet.

Does anyone have knowledge of the basic food groups and a good way to help me eat a balanced and healthy diet and implement it into my life style easily ?
Could you give me a Monday through Sunday, breakfast, lunch, dinner kind of example ?

I have been really low on energy for about five years now.
I’m thin and fit, male and 33. While I have not done a lot of exercise for the last nine or ten month’s I always been active and usually work out say four, maybe five days a week.

What effect do Toxins have on the body, could these be the reason for my lethargy ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:04 am

Damn! I just wrote a big reply but I have done something and it's gone.... ten deep breaths...

OK, toxins. Yes, they could well be the reason for your lethargy. Apparently, they can cause a plethora of stuff ranging from sluggishness (technical term, of course), headaches, mood swings, poor digestion, bad skin, decreased immunity and in really massive doses can affect eyesight, liver and kidney functions.

A few years back I went to see a homeopath, just because I was feeling kind of "blech" (another medical term), and didn't really feel like it was enough to go to the doctor about. Also being a vegetarian, I thought this could have been a factor...

Anyway, you seem like a pretty straight up-and-down kind of a guy, so I am sure you will understand when I say that some of it needs to be taken with a good ol' dose of common sense. It's one thing to take care of yourself, but why deprive yourself of a beer after work (if it's what you want)? Also there's no point becoming a vegan for a week and then making up for it the week after with half a cow, a dozen beers and a carton of ice cream.

I guess, what I am trying to say that you might want to consider making small changes that you can stick with. Some homepaths (not all!) can be a bit OTT, but some adaptation to your own lifestyle and goals will keep things in perspective.

For toxins: anti-oxidants will help. Also, spirulina is great (helps HEAPS with energy levels too). Can get these in tablet form - might be a good place to start.

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks Kiwi.
I sure am sorry about the gremlins getting your first reply.
Don't you just hate it when that happens.
As always I appreciate your help and thoughts.

I guess what I really need is someone to explain the five basic food groups and give me an explanation of how to use it.
I understand that I should eat bread, dairy, protein ect. Ect but am unsure in what quantities which is why Id just really love it if someone could give me a day by day example.
I know it’s a lot to ask but I really will use the information and I promise that the person that gives me this advice can go away comfortable in the fact that they really have directly helped someone.

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Thursday's menu

Postby whatalark » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 9:38 pm

Thursday's Menu

Breakfast: 1 bowl of oatmeal with 1 tsp sugar and 1 cup (250 ml) milk
1 orange or banana or 1/2 cup juice
1 egg (poached, hard-boiled, soft-boiled)
1 toast and coffee if you need this

Lunch: green salad (lettuce, green pepper [capsicum], cucumber,
carrots, tomato and whatever else veggie you want to throw
in. salad dressing to taste.

fish or chicken or beef or pork or eggs or tofu or beans

bread or rice or potato or noodles

fruit

Dinner: same as lunch.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:04 pm

Thanks whatalark.

Really apreciate your time.
Just what I needed. Im going to get my breakfast ready in a minute before I go to bed.
I plan on being really really really healthy by next Wednesday !

:D

whatalark
Regular
Regular

food

Postby whatalark » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:48 am

Ha! Hey Shilo, are you for real?? Hard to believe that you don't know how to eat properly since you happen to be aware of the 5 basic food groups...

So, how was the oatmeal this morning??
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Shilo2010 » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 5:12 pm

Its not that I don't know how to eat properly. As I said, its more that I’m not sure in what order and what quantities to eat them in.
I want to write out on a piece of paper an optimum planned weekly diet.
Should I eat wheat germ every day or every third day, should I have fruit every morning or every second morning. If I eat fruit every second morning should I have vegetables for lunch those days?
You see where I'm going ?

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 7:41 pm

Actually i came up with my own method of a diet: soup. this diet is only meant for those who are not very active, as in working.. Because it doesn't give you much energy...

Soup: Chop onion into halves
Boil them in hot water..
Add in 1 chicken drumstick
Throw in whatever vegetables that you want and boil them till they are half soft, half crunchy
Eat only when you feel hungry.

Your weight won't drop much but your measurements will... My weight probably didn't drop because i lift alot of weights... Almost muscle mass left only...

Oh and i went for jogs too.. It accelerated the reduction of measurements. :wink:

Give it a go and tell me the results!!
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

andre`

Postby andre` » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 7:50 pm

Sex, red wine, sex, .... don't smoke much

Postby Guest » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 7:59 pm

andre` wrote:Sex, red wine, sex, .... don't smoke much

i knew something was missing- !! my receipe was red wine, cigarettes,red wine
now if only i could find the sex!!! ah bliss... i'll have iron abs and taut tits!!

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:01 pm

Choke!!!

No doubt that sex gives you a total body workout... But erm I think if you wanna get your iron abs and taut tits, you gotta have sex to death first... :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:09 pm

How about something real simple... SLEEP! Are you getting enough? Have you ever timed your natural sleep cycle? My biz partner works great with 5 hours per night... I'd be a zombie on that. Seven hours works like a charm for me. Otherwise, I am lethargic, unmotivated.

If you are denying yourself necessary sleep by having to wake to an alarm I think that's a good part of your problem. Go to sleep earlier until you wake up naturally at the time you need to. Sure... you can't club and hunt women... but... you do wake uprefreshed.

Keep your alcohol consumption down. Take a nap in the afternoon... if they won't let you do it at the office, then find somewhere else... works wonders for energy.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:12 pm

samantha wrote:Choke!!!

No doubt that sex gives you a total body workout... But erm I think if you want to get your iron abs and taut tits, you gotta have sex to death first... :wink:

I could die trying, couldn't I????? 8)

Postby Guest » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:37 pm

sometimes people can feel sluggish if they are deficient in certain nutrients

B group vitamins are important for giving that bounce back (anyone seen the berroca commercials?). (All the "executive stress" multi-vitamins contain a range of B-group vitamins, vitamin C & other essential minerals)

In fact there is a disease called pernicious anaemia whereby those unfortunate enough to have it are not able to readily absorb vitamin B12, and hence become anaemic (lacking iron in blood) as a result. If you've ever met someone with this illness they are always run-down and even mood-wise down/moody/depressed.

Iron is also important, particularly in females, as they tend to lose more of this through natures cycles.

Another nutrient people can be deficient in is chromium, which is important in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. The sort of people that would benefit from chromium supplements are people who eat a lot of sweets in their diet.

regular exercise is also very important for a feeling of "well-being". everyone knows the saying "healthy mind-healthy body" .. both are strongly linked, and if our body is run down, usually our minds / emotions are not far behind. With regular exercise you can increase your base-metabolism levels.

Metabolism is the amount of energy your body uses throughout the day. Generally, a person who is not active has a low basal metabolism , while those who regularly exercise are able to increase their basal metabolism - which means they are burning more energy at any given moment than the non active person, even when they are taking a break from exercise - the level of metabolism is actually still up..

Why is this important.. ? generally, those with higher metabolisms feel more energetic , they have the up-and-go, and their moods are raised as well. I might also add, that natural endorphins are released during exercise which can give people a natural "high" that will also increase mood/motivation

den

Postby den » Fri, 12 Aug 2005 2:51 pm

I think problem in hot local weather. If u stayed in Europe before, during winter you spent more calories due to cold weather, here you become fatter because your body still “remember”