Singapore Expats

Wireless Surf

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Minime

Wireless Surf

Post by Minime » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:33 am

Hi,

I'm currently a broadband user with Singnet. I just bought a laptop and wish to surf wireless at home. However, my plan with Singnet will only end next year and they told me I need to pay a penalty to convert my plan to a wireless surf plan :cry:

Can anyone give me some advices on the alternatives. :P

Javier
Regular
Regular

Post by Javier » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:40 am

You can just buy a wireless router, fix it to your current modem and assuming you have a wireless card on your laptop, you'll be all set to go.

I think wireless routers are about $150-$200 in Sim Lim Square if I'm not wrong.
Useful webby for expats: Blog of nice things you can find in Singapore costing below $2. Updated very regularly.
http://www.cheaploh.com.sg

Minime

Post by Minime » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 9:15 am

Thanks Javier :)

TinTam

Post by TinTam » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:38 pm

Hi

Me too having same problem.. Wonder if there is any brand of router that I should look out for? Or any brand will do?

Do I need to get a new modem too? I'm currently using Aztech ADSL modem.

dex

Post by dex » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 1:56 pm

TinTam wrote:Hi

Me too having same problem.. Wonder if there is any brand of router that I should look out for? Or any brand will do?

Do I need to get a new modem too? I'm currently using Aztech ADSL modem.

You don't need a new modem. But you can also choose to get wireless routers with intergrated adsl modems to save the trouble of having another power plug for modem

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”