Singapore Expats Forum

Wireless Surf

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Minime

Wireless Surf

Postby Minime » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:33 am

Hi,

I'm currently a broadband user with Singnet. I just bought a laptop and wish to surf wireless at home. However, my plan with Singnet will only end next year and they told me I need to pay a penalty to convert my plan to a wireless surf plan :cry:

Can anyone give me some advices on the alternatives. :P

Javier
Regular
Regular

Postby Javier » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:40 am

You can just buy a wireless router, fix it to your current modem and assuming you have a wireless card on your laptop, you'll be all set to go.

I think wireless routers are about $150-$200 in Sim Lim Square if I'm not wrong.
Useful webby for expats: Blog of nice things you can find in Singapore costing below $2. Updated very regularly.
http://www.cheaploh.com.sg

Minime

Postby Minime » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 9:15 am

Thanks Javier :)

TinTam

Postby TinTam » Wed, 10 Aug 2005 3:38 pm

Hi

Me too having same problem.. Wonder if there is any brand of router that I should look out for? Or any brand will do?

Do I need to get a new modem too? I'm currently using Aztech ADSL modem.

dex

Postby dex » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 1:56 pm

TinTam wrote:Hi

Me too having same problem.. Wonder if there is any brand of router that I should look out for? Or any brand will do?

Do I need to get a new modem too? I'm currently using Aztech ADSL modem.

You don't need a new modem. But you can also choose to get wireless routers with intergrated adsl modems to save the trouble of having another power plug for modem