Singapore Expats Forum

PM's National Day Speech

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

PM's National Day Speech

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:13 pm

Did anybody besides myself catch the PM's speech at 7:30? Comments?

I though it was rather short, safe and predictable.

Unfortunately, the power's that be keep saying one thing that has always bothered me. That is "The SAF and our Home Team are strong and tested. Because of them, we can sleep peacefully at night." :roll:

I have a problem with that because how have they been tested? Computer Games? Paintballs? Only about 300 have even been to a combat theater and then they were all medical personnel behind the front lines. I agree that they have one of the most advanced armies in the world (Technology Wise). But their recruits keep having heart attacks during BMT. Even their Generals (including the PM) have never been in a combat zone, only war colleges. Believe me, I never crapped myself during training but I sh!t myself the first time incoming landed in the camp in Nam. :oops:

Anyway, been here 23+ years and I guess I'll keep holding on to luck. Been lucky so far.

sms

User avatar
Ming_Dynasty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 09 Aug 2005

Same old story

Postby Ming_Dynasty » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:30 am

Same thing every year. Giving us false hopes. Right, we all can sleep peacefully with the SAF protection. Remember the last major blackout? The one that hit almost two-third of this island? Well, took almost 10 hours to verify & restore power supply.

Guest

Re: PM's National Day Speech

Postby Guest » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Did anybody besides myself catch the PM's speech at 7:30? Comments?

I though it was rather short, safe and predictable.

Unfortunately, the power's that be keep saying one thing that has always bothered me. That is "The SAF and our Home Team are strong and tested. Because of them, we can sleep peacefully at night." :roll:

I have a problem with that because how have they been tested? Computer Games? Paintballs? Only about 300 have even been to a combat theater and then they were all medical personnel behind the front lines. I agree that they have one of the most advanced armies in the world (Technology Wise). But their recruits keep having heart attacks during BMT. Even their Generals (including the PM) have never been in a combat zone, only war colleges. Believe me, I never crapped myself during training but I sh!t myself the first time incoming landed in the camp in Nam. :oops:

Anyway, been here 23+ years and I guess I'll keep holding on to luck. Been lucky so far.

sms
SMS at least you have the advantage, that once a soldier always a soldier, your reactions and survival instincts along with your experience, will look after you better than any government, will!!! sleep tight.

User avatar
samantha
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat, 23 Jul 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby samantha » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 8:48 am

i actually stopped watching the speeches every year as they tend to strike me as being propagandic... hee..
~They praise the same old thing every year...
~Promise to improve every year...
~Comments of achievements over the past year...
Basically, every thing you read in the papers since last years national day... :lol: :lol:
But i can't fault the government for trying its best... 8)

Hey sms.. the SAF does have live firing exercises and live joint-military exercises as well.. haha and you do know that singapore's main stand is Diplomacy and Deterrence right??Diplomacy comes first, army later.. Can't send people in for real combat due to the policy of neutrality as well... :wink:
But i think if there were to be a real need for combat, most NSmen will most probably forget their training.. Heck!! my uncle said their training nowadays is like going for a holiday on Tekong Island Resort... :lol: :lol:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

User avatar
riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri, 22 Jul 2005
Location: Simei
Contact:

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 9:34 am

yes, i believe diplomacy and neutrality kicks ass against aggression anytime anywhere. give the terrorists no reason to conduct attacks.

suicide bombers succeeded in instilling fear because they weren't thinking of gettingn out of the mission. they are the mission.

fighting the "insurgents" in iraq and afghanistan as if they are conventional enemies is wishful thinking. for all the technological superiority in the world, how do you weed out the guerillas?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:57 am

The speech is part of the job I guess. I am not impressed either, but hey: It has to be done.

In fact, I rather judge PM Lee for his deeds instead.

And in that I am quite confident, to me he and the government are doing quite a good job.

National day parade itself is terrifying to me: I hate these military show offs, total nonsense...

Eric

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:25 pm

samantha wrote:.. the SAF does have live firing exercises and live joint-military exercises as well.. haha and you do know that singapore's main stand is Diplomacy and Deterrence right??


Samantha,

I hope your answer was meant to be *tongue-in-cheek* regarding the comment about live firing excercises. Do you have any knowledge of just what a live firing exercise is? It means guys are firing live rounds at dead or inanimate object or targets. It doesn't mean that they are firing at each other. About the only time you actually are put into harms way is during your obstacle course run when they are firing a safe distance over your head with machine guns (at least I assume that they are using live rounds here in Singapore but then again I may be wrong).

Diplomacy and Deterrence? What deterrence? Overweight 30 year old reservists who, if they are in middle management are always able to get out of training with a letter from the CEO?

Eric,

Yeah, I've always been put off by large military showcases of hardware. But when that's all you've have got to show, they have to do something to impress the rank & file citizens. I've always like the other method, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" Why advertise your capabilities so the enemy knows what you've got.

Anyway,

Happy 40th National Day

to all Singaporeans reading this board.

And please, don't always take everything we say to heart. Always remember, most of us have a wider view of the world that people that have only been armchair & textbook travelers (biased viewpoints due to the media moguls).

sms

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 1:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, I've always been put off by large military showcases of hardware. But when that's all you've have got to show, they have to do something to impress the rank & file citizens. I've always like the other method, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" Why advertise your capabilities so the enemy knows what you've got.

Anyway,

Happy 40th National Day

to all Singaporeans reading this board.


Thanks SMS for your national day wishes.

I know the parade doesn't appeal to everyone, especially those like yourself and Eric who, as you way, have been around. Still, do remember that the parade is put on less to impress foreigners, certainly not to intimidate foreign threats, but more to bring Singaporeans together. Don't forget that we are a country of many races, many religions, and have strong loyalties to many different things. The National Day Parade is one of the only occasions when the ONLY thing bringing us together is the fact that we are Singaporeans.

Remember also that we are a young nation, only 40 years old. We don't have the strength of a long common history, of common enemies, common ideologies... to hold us together. So nation-building has to be a very deliberate effort. Don't begrudge us the occasion, especially since nobody is forced to watch it live or on TV unless they want to.

Last but not least, it's just another chance to party and life is short, so why not just have fun? I'm going to don my red and white now and go out partying to celebrate my country's birthday. Stay home if you guys want, but today is a day to celebrate!!!

ps: I attended the American Association's 4th of July party at Sembawang last month and celebrated with my American friends... though I'm not American and am not going to say here what I think of America or Americans :D Why don't our foreign friends like yourself celebrate with us out of pure respect for each other's nations and your host country at least for the time being?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 3:20 pm

Wind In My Hair,

I have done that many times. I could post pics that I took at your countries 16th birthday celebrations also at the Padang (the 1st of several that I've attended over the years).

Remember, my thought processes are one thing and reality is something different. As you all know, I've been here 23+ years and with a Singaporean Wife & 2 kids, so I have a vested interest here.

I also have my Singaporean flag hanging outside my HDB flat like so many others (and a US flag on the wall in my office :mrgreen: to keep me grounded in reality).

sms

stefania
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon, 09 May 2005
Location: Perth, WA

Postby stefania » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I also have my Singaporean flag hanging outside my HDB flat like so many others (and a US flag on the wall in my office :mrgreen: to keep me grounded in reality).


Man, SMS, that's a conflict right there! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri, 22 Jul 2005
Location: Simei
Contact:

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:25 pm

for all these talks of Singapore ND, it didn't occur to me why my Singaporean employer didn't reply my mails on if the clinic doing the medical check-up is open on Sats ;)
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wind In My Hair,

I have done that many times. I could post pics that I took at your countries 16th birthday celebrations also at the Padang (the 1st of several that I've attended over the years).

Remember, my thought processes are one thing and reality is something different. As you all know, I've been here 23+ years and with a Singaporean Wife & 2 kids, so I have a vested interest here.

I also have my Singaporean flag hanging outside my HDB flat like so many others (and a US flag on the wall in my office :mrgreen: to keep me grounded in reality).

sms


Good on you, SMS. I didn't quite understand the bit about needing the US flag to keep you grounded in reality though. You mean you sometimes forget you are not Singaporean? :shock:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 5:56 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I didn't quite understand the bit about needing the US flag to keep you grounded in reality though. You mean you sometimes forget you are not Singaporean? :shock:


Not at all. It's just that sometimes it's easy to forget there is a real world out there that is much different than this cocoon that is Singapore. However, I did actually go 11 years between 1984 and 1996 without stepping foot in the US so yes, sometimes it's easy to forget. Especially since I love the local food.

User avatar
samantha
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat, 23 Jul 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby samantha » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 6:22 pm

Hey sms.. Yup it was a *tongue-in-cheek* remark.. of course i know that cos i intend to sign on in future... Haha.. what i was trying to point out that they are shooting at some real object rather than an animated object... haha.. Erm i don't think any army than the US, Israeli (for example) are the ones that actually get "live" firing exercises.. :lol:

Well the overweight reservist men still have to come back for reservists and they still pass it.. haha.. Erm about the part of running from reservice, most guys would rather avoid it..Due to having to go through obstacle course.. Personally I don't mind it... I'm a sucker for obstacle courses,chin ups and endless rounds of pumping... :lol: :lol:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 6:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:I didn't quite understand the bit about needing the US flag to keep you grounded in reality though. You mean you sometimes forget you are not Singaporean? :shock:


Not at all. It's just that sometimes it's easy to forget there is a real world out there that is much different than this cocoon that is Singapore. However, I did actually go 11 years between 1984 and 1996 without stepping foot in the US so yes, sometimes it's easy to forget. Especially since I love the local food.


Ah, the food. Yes, that's a big part of what makes Singapore home to those of us who have lived abroad. We'll make a Singaporean of you yet. :wink:

You can't be serious about Singapore being a cocoon though. We are one of the most international cities in the world, busiest airport, Asia and Australia as our playground, over a quarter of our population are foreigners, goodness knows how many of the rest are PRs from all parts of the world... maybe you're hanging around your HDB estate too much. Come on downtown... there are almost as many blondes as brunettes walking along Orchard Road these days.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests