Singapore Expats

disturbing experience

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

disturbing experience

Post by Guest » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:21 pm

Was waiting for bus No7, when it arrived I was about to get on with my family and I could hear all this noise, some guy on the bus, shouting at me, not to get on his bus.

I just ignored him, he then started to abuse us with racist remarks of being British or American, and raving on about a couple of million dollars, still ignoring his shouts, I was becoming quite restless, having my 5 year old and my wife with me.

Anyway i could see his reflexion has he stood up and made is way towards the driver of the bus, as he passed us all, he was still shouting abuse and said he was Indian, and showed is ID. It was a deliberate verbal attack on British or Americans in Singapore, I was quick enough to realise that he may be mentally disturbed, however my wife was a little shaken.

So be warned in the Orchard area!

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:28 pm

sorry abt his behaviour, as u mentioned he may be mentally disturbed or maybe he's just a drunkard. take care of your family and teach your child not to be somebody like him ever. it's a disgrace i must admit. but it happens, as we can't seem to root this problem off the face of the society.
IBMing

newgirly1809

Post by newgirly1809 » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:56 am

Not sure if its teh same bloke but theres a guy that does the same thing around Raffles Place, normally comes up and shoves his ID in your face and then starts ranting and raving and shouting that he's Indian. I was quite shaken the first time I experienced this but it does seem as if he's "one sandwich short of a picnic", sad that he's left to roam around in such a state........

Post by Guest » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 1:25 pm

Forgive the person. These people are pitiful in the sense that they have lost control of their minds.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 2:47 pm

He's been around for as long as I've been here - harmless, just frightening, sputing the same crap, he is mentally disturbed.

'nuff said Image

Post by Guest » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 3:31 pm

Vaucluse wrote:He's been around for as long as I've been here - harmless, just frightening, sputing the same crap, he is mentally disturbed.
Well I just hope it doesn't get any worse, and why just American & British hate, it's cases like this that seem harmless enough, until they stick you with a knife, happend many times in UK after they closed the institutions and let mentally disturbed, roam the streets.

Just a thought, be careful out there, it is not worth relaxing and thinking this guy is harmless, once you have a knife in your back!!! Take care everyone..

Indian too

Post by Indian too » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 5:00 pm

I dont know if its the same guy, but there was this guy (he was a middle aged Indian with a sharp nose, decently dressed, thats all I remember) who walked in to Starbucks at holland Village, which was packed on a Sunday afternoon.
We were a largish group of Indians sitting together.
He flashed his ID to us and said ' I am an Indian. This is not true coffee, true coffee is from India, this is just an American brand, what are you guys doing here, the Americans are just trying to rob you off your money. Do you guys have an Indian passport?? etc etc'

Was quite disturbing and embarassing to us as well, but we realised he must be unstable.

Post by Guest » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 7:46 pm

Indian too wrote:I dont know if its the same guy, but there was this guy (he was a middle aged Indian with a sharp nose, decently dressed, thats all I remember) who walked in to Starbucks at holland Village, which was packed on a Sunday afternoon.
We were a largish group of Indians sitting together.
He flashed his ID to us and said ' I am an Indian. This is not true coffee, true coffee is from India, this is just an American brand, what are you guys doing here, the Americans are just trying to rob you off your money. Do you guys have an Indian passport?? etc etc'

Was quite disturbing and embarassing to us as well, but we realised he must be unstable.

Yes this sounds like the guy! Of course it is disturbing, to see he as so much hate towards USA and UK, and quite honestly is illness does happen, to many people around the world, god knows what goes through his mind every day.

I even have muslim friends that hate the USA living in Europe and blame UK for helping to get Ayatolla Khomeni from France into power in Iran, but they are all friendly and guest free towards me. Some even boycott USA products altogether. I personally feel life is to short to get involved in political battles, there are lots of political wrong doings all over the world.

Thank you for writing your piece, it is appreciated!

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Shilo2010 » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 8:58 pm

I have not lived in Singapore.
I have had no experience with the kind of situation you relate.
I am however deeply saddened that this happened to you.
Especialy so because your wife and children where present.

Post by Guest » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:06 pm

Shilo2010 wrote:I have not lived in Singapore.
I have had no experience with the kind of situation you relate.
I am however deeply saddened that this happened to you.
Especialy so because your wife and children where present.
Thanks shilo2010, yes it was quite disturbing for my Chinese wife and daughter, also myself, but there again i have been expecting it under the circumstances, I don't normally mix within the expat environment.

The majority are very friendly people. So it only takes one to upset the applecart, i think everyone was also so shocked on the bus, mind you it's not the first time i have been singled out for attack, because of my colour, or race, so I do sympathise with those people that do suffer racist attacks.

Post by Guest » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:42 am

Vaucluse wrote:He's been around for as long as I've been here - harmless, just frightening, sputing the same crap, he is mentally disturbed.
maybe not. it's possible everyone else is disturbed and he's the only sane one amongst us.

It's good to have someone shake things up and make you feel uncomfortable now and then. get's you out of your comfort zone and believe me Singapore is the world's biggest comfort zone.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 8:33 am

Well I personally think this guy may have had some traumatic accident with a caucasian.. Thats why he so dead set against you people.. But he can be ignored as if he were to be a danger to the public, he would be locked up in IMH, as he is threatening public safety.... :wink:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

BK

Post by BK » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:39 am

samantha wrote:Well I personally think this guy may have had some traumatic accident with a caucasian.. Thats why he so dead set against you people.. But he can be ignored as if he were to be a danger to the public, he would be locked up in IMH, as he is threatening public safety.... :wink:
JAYZUS!! :shock:

So what your saying here is that if a caucasian, or as you so eloquently put it one of "you people", had a traumatic experience with someone from another race, that it's ok for that causcasian to go around abusing and frightening other people.

Faaarrrkkk.... :roll:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:24 am

JAYZUS!!

So what your saying here is that if a caucasian, or as you so eloquently put it one of "you people", had a traumatic experience with someone from another race, that it's ok for that causcasian to go around abusing and frightening other people.

Faaarrrkkk....

Rather stupid conclusion. How did you get there? I find it hard to follow your reasoning... May be you should read every post before over reacting??
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 4:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:
maybe not. it's possible everyone else is disturbed and he's the only sane one amongst us.

It's good to have someone shake things up and make you feel uncomfortable now and then. get's you out of your comfort zone and believe me Singapore is the world's biggest comfort zone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe you are right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Birthday Singapore
Attachments
flag1[1].gif
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

'nuff said Image