Singapore Expats Forum

A Changing culture should we be concerned?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Director
Director

A Changing culture should we be concerned?

Postby Plavt » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 6:43 am

Given recent events some of you may care to read this and the associated articles. I have no wish to create a controversy but I am not sure if this is good or bad, I will let you air your own views.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4718697.stm

Best Wishes to you all.

Re: A Changing culture should we be concerned?

Postby Guest » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 3:17 pm

Plavt wrote:Given recent events some of you may care to read this and the associated articles. I have no wish to create a controversy but I am not sure if this is good or bad, I will let you air your own views.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4718697.stm

Best Wishes to you all.

Personally there is nothing to discuss, about a culture that lives in the dark ages!!!

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 3:25 pm

I recently read "Princess" by Jean P. Sasson.
As the cover states, an appalling indictment of the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia.
I think you may find it informative regarding the issue you mention.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 3:39 pm

As far as I understand, this is not to discuss a so called "backward society", but rather the use of technology to make your move and still respect local culture?

Sometimes the perspective is slightly different from the prejudices in one's own mindset, isn't it?

I think it is quite ok, be creative in using modern technology, why not?

If I would be in the situation described, I would definitely use it as well.

Eric

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 4:39 pm

One point is that yeah, if we live in such a conservative society, it would be an option to get "close" to someone. However, to some of the girls, it's invasion of privacy because they might be more religious or not interested but some guy is trying to contact them just because of some technology that allows them to. It could work either way.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 7:26 pm

Is it that intimidating Stef?

For the latter, just 'delete' the message?

Eric

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 9:05 pm

Forgive me for being dim, but what exactly is the concern here? That radicals will use this technology for terrorist purposes? That young Arab women are now in danger from lustful young men? That technology is changing cultures all over the world?

Personally I think love marriages and arranged marriages both have their good points, so this changing culture in Arab countries is neither a good nor bad thing in my opinion. As far as technology goes, it's going to progress whether we like it or not so the main question is how do we harness it for good rather than evil.

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 9:58 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Is it that intimidating Stef?

For the latter, just 'delete' the message?

Eric

Yes, it can be intimidating because in the end, all technology has its pros and cons. People are all different and some girls/ladies/women might be submissive or not like the idea of some stranger trying to communicate with them when all they wanna do is to be left alone. Some can be so insistent and harrass others, you should know the drill by now. New technology comes up, everyone excited, everyone doing it, bam! A new set of problems come up with people suing someone or someone is jailed or fined. Not trying to be negative but the world can be such a shitty place. ;)

Postby Guest » Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:45 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:As far as I understand, this is not to discuss a so called "backward society", but rather the use of technology to make your move and still respect local culture?

Sometimes the perspective is slightly different from the prejudices in one's own mindset, isn't it?

I think it is quite ok, be creative in using modern technology, why not?

If I would be in the situation described, I would definitely use it as well.

Eric

Its not that new, Eric, people have been using it at least 18 months in Europe, for the dating scene. But some jerks never seem to give up, so it can be very intimidating. Just like the refugees when they first arrive, in Europe, they hang around the shopping malls challenging any female that walks by.

Becuase they are not allowed to do chat up their own women in their own Countries, But it appears thhat the technology is a pain in the butt for some women. Mobile phone technology is so bloody insecure, you can listen to all your neighbours talking, with a good scanner.

Its also very surprising to listen to neighbours back stab, their own so called friends. yes it is illegal, but hey so is listening in to police cars.