Singapore Expats

IS it difficult to understand English ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
shasha_sg76

IS it difficult to understand English ?

Post by shasha_sg76 » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 3:54 pm

I really wonder how many of u out there can tell the difference between Science Centre and Science Park ??
Reason being, every morning, when i take a cab ,and tell the driver that I want to go to Science Centre,they always ask me " The one in Ayer Rajah?" or they make a wrong turn ..or they go by the wrong AYE.

I was told that cab drivers need to take a road test to test their knowledge of roads. However, it leaves me thinking is it so difficult to distinguish between Science Ctr and Science Park ???

I really feel like writing in to Strait Times Forum. It is quite irritating cos it usually comes from NTUC Comfort cabbies. There has not even been a day that I dont have to tell them. sighhhhh

Post by ... » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 4:52 pm

Well maybe not all cabbies took the higher route and went to university like you and ended up working in an office in Science Park?

Give them a break. You know it's often confused, so be prepared and tell them from the start, it's NOT the one in Ayer Rajah and give more precise instructions.

Amant

Post by Amant » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 5:00 pm

I also had the same problem as you. I think this is because people are more familiar with science park than science centre. For cab drivers, they will more often go to science park as many professionals work there. It is very rare for someone to take a cab and go to science centre. Thats y i believe there is the confusion.

Btw shasha, do you work in Singapore Science Centre?

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 5:23 pm

My dear friend.. Please Please you got to give clear instruction of where you intent to go.. Science Centre and Science Park are totally a different Place.. For Your Information, there is a place call science centre in singapore... So if you are not sure how you wnat the cabby uncle to understand what you are talking abt???????????? So just tell the cabby where you are heading to.. Simply enough.......

Post by Guest » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:17 am

I think the taxi drivers are doing the right thing. They ask for the location so that no miscommunication can take place. You need to know that sometime passengers can give the wrong names of the places they want to go. I guess they are being professional for doing that. It doesn't do you much harm if you are able to provide more information for them.

shasha_sg76

Post by shasha_sg76 » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:59 pm

Just to let you know, the moment I enter the cab, i tell the driver " Science Centre Drive" ,,, I think that is very very east to understand tht's the reason Y i posted this thread.
Also, yes I m not working in Science Centre , but in an IT school there.

So, nowadays , i try saying Jurong Science Ctr Drive,,,,yet there are sum wackos out there who just still dont get it .arrrgghhhhh!!

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 1:03 pm

shasha_sg76 wrote:Just to let you know, the moment I enter the cab, i tell the driver " Science Centre Drive" ,,, I think that is very very east to understand tht's the reason Y i posted this thread.
Also, yes I m not working in Science Centre , but in an IT school there.

So, nowadays , i try saying Jurong Science Ctr Drive,,,,yet there are sum wackos out there who just still dont get it .arrrgghhhhh!!
next time try to tell them its near to jurong east mrt station. if that cabbie still mess it up, u can ask him go fly kite. :)