Singapore Expats Forum

How to get permission to stay longer in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Ahmed_europe

How to get permission to stay longer in Singapore?

Postby Ahmed_europe » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 4:31 am

Member of EU country doesnt need visa to enter Singapore and can stay 30 days. If that person finds a job during those 30 days and company take care of working permit and so on, everything is OK. if not, what is the possibility to get some permission to stay in Singapore on the basis of that perimission till he/she finds a job and gain working permit? I read somehwere about some Long Term Social Visit for which you need passport, at leats bachelor Degree certificate etc. and you can stay 6 months, I think. Maybe there are some other conditions but I can't remember right now.

Is that true? If not, what is the best to do in that situation? It would be really embarassing situation to go back to Europe again and enter Singapore again in the same way...
I need help to settle down in Singapore

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 5:49 am

You could leave on a short flight to Thailand, or catch the ferry to Indonesia and get 30 more days stamped on your passport when you come back but in general, there are no job search "permissions"; otherwise the country would be filled with people searching for jobs. A lot of people would like to do what you want to do.

kansah
Regular
Regular

Postby kansah » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:02 am

Ahmed,

You will need a sponsor for you to get a 6-month social visit pass, or do what SE suggested. Go to a neighboring country, stay there for a few days and then come back to Singapore. I think this will get you 14 days more.

Goodluck!
Think of the solution; not the problem.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:52 am

Best way is to find a job first, compared to staying there and find a job.

You can revisit the immigration offices of Malaysia at the causeway to get extra 14 days...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Ahmed_europe

Postby Ahmed_europe » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:32 pm

Thank you very much for your asnwers.

You are very kind people...
I need help to settle down in Singapore