Singapore Expats

Integrate or Get Out...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Razia_Tehrani

Integrate or Get Out...

Post by Razia_Tehrani » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:48 am

British moslems told, 'intergrate or simply get out'.

Is this a wise policy????

Maggie9

Post by Maggie9 » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 1:02 am

Hmmmmm.........................:?It is a very good question but very tricky to answer, Razia :lol: :?

Re: Integrate or Get Out...

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 1:16 am

Razia_Tehrani wrote:British moslems told, 'intergrate or simply get out'.

Is this a wind up? This title your own making?

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 2:00 am

No, it's the latest news in the UK. I was speaking to a friend over there over the telephone, and this is what he told me too. I think its true otherwise why would he say this? It looks like a wind up, but I don't think it is :!:

YF
Regular
Regular

Post by YF » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 3:40 am

This is a slippery slope. In the US it is supposed to be more of a melting pot, while in canada it is supposed to be more multicultural. As I see it there is more racism and divisivness in the US than in Canada. Whether that is causation or corrolation I don't know--just an observation.

-Rob

Re: Integrate or Get Out...

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 8:17 am

Razia_Tehrani wrote:British moslems told, 'intergrate or simply get out'.

Depends what "Integrate" means and how they define it

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 9:15 am

i think that is a bad bad policy.. in my opinion, they are not respecting the rights of the minority... i'm a free thinker but i still think it's bad.. people are being forced to change :( whether they like it or not...
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:07 am

Hi,
Please let's not confuse something that was reported by the media and then passed on verbally, with 'official policy'.
I always need to remind myself (which is my polite way of reminding everyone else too :wink: ) that the media (especially in US & UK) is there to make money by selling advertising, newpapers, licences, whatever. That they happen to do this by (theoretically) giving out factual (yeah, right!) information is just the market segment they happen to be in.
Sadly, stirring up racist emotions 'sells'.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:50 am

if that was true, then it's bad.

the very nature of the sentence implies that the Moslems are outsiders, only here to stay for a while, not to live. How's that for alienating a group of people?

why aren't they (especially those born and bred in the UK) considered Britons as the whites and the Scots?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:13 pm

Agree with Yutenji here. Nice header for the papers to sell.

At the same time though, the thinking behind this shortliner is very much alive in a lot of European countries nowadays. Let me speak for my own homecountry, where this is today's policy.

Hundreds of thousands, if not a few millions of either refugees, asylum seekers and so called 'gastarbeiders' / foreign workers have come to The Netherlands, presumably because of its extremely accessible welfare system and the tolerance that Holland is known for.

The foreign workers came in the 1960's, as Holland needed them, the dirty jobs were just not attractive enough for the locals, cynically spoken. These people stayed in a lot of cases, grew their families, 2nd and now already 3rd generation Dutch Morocccans and - Turks. Most of them Muslim and not taking part in daily social life at all. Keeping their own culture, in a lot of cases the policy was even to stimulate them to maintain their culture and language (the so called OETC, which stands for language and culture education in own language). As a result, there was no integration at all. Economy went down, loads of jobless foreign workers, unable to find new jobs and cope with today's demands. Huge costs for unemployment benefits involved, as well as the inability to even talk the language of the country they reside in.

The gap is growing, the world is changing and the vast majority of the muslim community is not integrated. The government, being pushed by populous politicians on the far right side of the political spectrum, has to act and comes with policies as mentioned by the OP: either integrate or exit.

But in daily life, it is the different authorities and institutions, who have to translate this tough policy into real actions: provide tools for enabling the foreigners to integrate. Language courses, examens, processes, policies etc etc. And nobody knows how, nobody has a central overview, it is a total chaos. Muslim community points at the authorities and the government, locals getting sannoyed with lack of results and increasing intolerance, not in the last place because of continuing terrorist threats and acts, seemingly being done by 'muslims'.

For myself and my wife it was one of the main reasons to migrate and turn back to Singapore, away from the anarchy and chaos in today's Europe.

Eric

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:39 pm

Personally I feel the UK is justified in what it says,
The UK has played host country to an alien religion, a Middle Eastern faith, which is dangerous and threatning national security. The muslims have no one else to blame but themselves.

What do you all expect? All criminals, refugees, and economical seekers flocking to a host Country for no other than our hand outs, and at the same time, killing its people. why should we tolerate this?

Human rights have been abused, by the abusers, for their own gaols. The UK will unite and rid the scum of the earth, that forbid freedom.

With 500,000 illegal refugees and many radical extremists in the country, who have already been granted asylum, have now the opportunity to think twice. If they want a holy war, they will certainly get one.

Those frustrated dick heads should go and bomb their own people, in their home Countries.

100% integration is not at all possible!!! The UK have seen this coming for many years, and that is probably why they will never fully integrate to Europe. Becuase Europe is soft and has lost control of human rights, its all a fcuking joke. You people that invade our lands with your inhumane and inflexible religion can either adopt to our culture or piss off.

Do you really believe any Muslim state would allow the British to invade their lands, and to start killing people?

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:Personally I feel the UK is justified in what it says,
The UK has played host country to an alien religion, a Middle Eastern faith, which is dangerous and threatning national security. The muslims have no one else to blame but themselves.

What do you all expect? All criminals, refugees, and economical seekers flocking to a host Country for no other than our hand outs, and at the same time, killing its people. why should we tolerate this?

Human rights have been abused, by the abusers, for their own gaols. The UK will unite and rid the scum of the earth, that forbid freedom.

With 500,000 illegal refugees and many radical extremists in the country, who have already been granted asylum, have now the opportunity to think twice. If they want a holy war, they will certainly get one.

Those frustrated dick heads should go and bomb their own people, in their home Countries.

100% integration is not at all possible!!! The UK have seen this coming for many years, and that is probably why they will never fully integrate to Europe. Becuase Europe is soft and has lost control of human rights, its all a fcuking joke. You people that invade our lands with your inhumane and inflexible religion can either adopt to our culture or piss off.

Do you really believe any Muslim state would allow the British to invade their lands, and to start killing people?
BTW this was meant for all extreme teachings of the faith, and not all muslims and their faith.
Even the lowest of educated people in the Country know the difference of a faith that is non violent, and violent, but they have difficulty in excepting the killing of innocent people,

Do not ever under estimate the British becuase, we are one of the most humane and democratic countries in the world and may seem a soft touch.

You attack us and we will certainly hit back hard, so wise up, before it's to late.

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 6:07 pm

I don't agree.

Shilo2010
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Shilo2010 » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 8:48 pm

I think I have made my views known ?
lol.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:49 pm

The Brits do not have a very long history of being "one of the most humane counties in the world". A bit of a long shot, wouldn't you say? Certainly ask any of their ex-colonies how they were treated under British rule, and I'm sure "humane" would not be their adjective of choice!

Plus, I think we're all forgetting the Crusades... yep, real nice bunch they all were!