Singapore Expats Forum

How to obtain work permit Singapore for my girlfriend

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Roeland126

How to obtain work permit Singapore for my girlfriend

Postby Roeland126 » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 8:58 pm

Dear All!

I'm moving to Singapore in a few months to work for a Dutch bank (ABN AMRO). I will be working on a local contract, and the work permit will be arranged by the bank.

My girlfriend is planning to come with me, but only if she can work there.
That's where the trouble starts.

I'm informed that it is not possible for her to work in Singapore as long as we are not married, and this is not an option.

There seems to be a possibility to have a translated "samenlevings contract" (Official living together but not married contract) that is the same as a common marriage status, to obtain a work permit for my girlfriend.

Is there a solution for this problem? And what are the possibilities.

Please advise!

Many thanks in advance.

Roeland
roelanddegraaf @ hotmail.com

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:56 am

Long-term social visit renewable (6 months) is for this purpose. visit the relevant authority's website for more info...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Roeland126

Postby Roeland126 » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 6:57 pm

riversandlakes wrote:Long-term social visit renewable (6 months) is for this purpose. visit the relevant authority's website for more info...

Yes, but I thought she is not allowed to work wiht this visum.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 6:59 pm

social visit pass may not be used for working purposes.

but if she has found work then the firm can apply on her behalf, while she stays with the long-term svp.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Postby Guest » Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:21 am

Hi there

Here is some help for you. I have been living with my long term girlfriend in Singapore for five years now. I have a work permit and now PR she has been my dependent. What we did is get an Afidavit drafted saying that we were common law man and wife and sign it in front of a Notary Public. Then we took this to our embassy and thye issued a letter endorsing the fact. Then I filled out a form requesting for her to be my dependent - you need the company to sign this as well.

After that, if she wants to work then she can, she just has to get the employer to get permission from the Ministry of Manpower. It's all quite straightforward.