Singapore Expats Forum

wishing to divorce....what to do

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

loser

wishing to divorce....what to do

Postby loser » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 2:50 pm

hi there,

hope to get some advice here.

i am planning to divorce my husband, i am aware that we must live seperately for at least 3 years before i can file for divorce. we have no children.

since i married him, i worked with him together in a small biz that he established, but i never got salaries actually though in the books he made it looked i did. we were able to accummulate some amt. of funds from the biz. our assets are either in joint bank account and in properties, one in my name and the other in his name. the products in the joint bank account mainly are bonds, both short and long-term.

i am a very fair person and i am not eyeing on all the assets but just half, since they were accummulated after we got married through our hard work. but my husband is a very calculative and stingy person, i am afraid he will be unreasonable and try not to let me have my share.

my questions is what should i do now in order to retain my share of the assets?

thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 3:35 pm

It's funny you should say you husband's calculative. You have only said you want a divorce and you want half of everything. You also said that you work for him in a business that he established but did not earn anything, yet you say you have a property in your name. Sounds like you received remuneration in kind to me. You have not indicated any reasons why you want to divorce him. I am afraid you will have to be a bit more specific especially as there are no children involved. Are both of you local or half & half or both expats? Lots of different things at play here.

sms

Postby Guest » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 4:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's funny you should say you husband's calculative. You have only said you want a divorce and you want half of everything. You also said that you work for him in a business that he established but did not earn anything, yet you say you have a property in your name. Sounds like you received remuneration in kind to me. You have not indicated any reasons why you want to divorce him. I am afraid you will have to be a bit more specific especially as there are no children involved. Are both of you local or half & half or both expats? Lots of different things at play here.

sms

i do not need to write a novel here to explain why i want a divorce. i do not think anyone, probably except you, is interested to know.

my husband bought the property and put it in my name because he is afraid the tax people will come after him. i do not know why he is afraid of them. as an asian wife, i am used to letting the husband make decisions. but if we are going to divorce, i have to start protecting myself. i am local, he is foreigner. if i take what my former classmates salaries are now as a benchmark, the property will be worth less than what i could have made. i gave up my own career to marry him and work in the biz with him.

Postby Guest » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 4:37 pm

You worked for him AND kept house- you should have gotten a salary or profits of the company- see if u can get some advice from the Legal Aid people- look up law society and call them.. seeing that nobody here is likely to give any free legal advice

Good luck!

Anonymous wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's funny you should say you husband's calculative. You have only said you want a divorce and you want half of everything. You also said that you work for him in a business that he established but did not earn anything, yet you say you have a property in your name. Sounds like you received remuneration in kind to me. You have not indicated any reasons why you want to divorce him. I am afraid you will have to be a bit more specific especially as there are no children involved. Are both of you local or half & half or both expats? Lots of different things at play here.

sms

i do not need to write a novel here to explain why i want a divorce. i do not think anyone, probably except you, is interested to know.

my husband bought the property and put it in my name because he is afraid the tax people will come after him. i do not know why he is afraid of them. as an asian wife, i am used to letting the husband make decisions. but if we are going to divorce, i have to start protecting myself. i am local, he is foreigner. if i take what my former classmates salaries are now as a benchmark, the property will be worth less than what i could have made. i gave up my own career to marry him and work in the business with him.