Singapore Expats Forum

Racism in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Just another guy

Racism in Singapore

Postby Just another guy » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:16 am

LONDON, England (AP) -- Police in northwest England have arrested a second suspect in connection with the ax attack of a black teenager whose killing officers have described as racially motivated and named two more teenagers they want to question.

Merseyside Police arrested a 17-year-old late Sunday on suspicion of murdering Anthony Walker, 18, a spokeswoman for the force said Monday. She added that an 18-year-old suspect arrested earlier Sunday had been released on bail while inquiries continued.

Police said they also wanted to speak to 19-year-olds Paul Taylor and Michael Barton, whom they believed may have fled the country.

Walker, an honors student who was a keen soccer and basketball player and aspired to be a lawyer, died at a hospital Saturday after being attacked by a gang shouting racist taunts at him, authorities said.

"I need to find out who did this to my brother ... my little brother," Dominique Walker, 20, said in an appeal Sunday.

Her brother was waiting for a bus with his white girlfriend and a cousin at a bus stop near his home in Liverpool late Friday when a man started shouting racist insults at them, police said.

The three did not retaliate, and walked away to find another bus stop, police said. But a group of three or four men followed them through a park, and Walker's companions saw someone bludgeon him with an ax, police said.

They ran to get help and returned a few minutes later to find him with the ax embedded in his skull, police said.

"All his family and friends are devastated," Dominique Walker said. "If anybody knows anything, they have got to talk to police. Talk to them because we need the information."

Dominique Walker described her younger brother as studious, kind and loving, "the perfect son" and a "fun brother."

"You couldn't think of Anthony without smiling. Everyone who came into contact with him loved him. He blessed so many lives in his unique way," she said.

Well-wishers left piles of flowers around the scene of the killing Sunday.

A lawmaker who lives just yards from the murder scene said there had been some incidents of racial abuse in other areas of the city recently, but the brutal slaying was unprecedented in his neighborhood.

"It is entirely untypical of this area. The ethnic community, although small, is well-integrated," said legislator Eddie O'Hara.

"We are all totally devastated that this young lad was the victim of what seems to have been a racist attack," O'Hara said. "It is so terrible and sad that he was murdered in this way."

Violent racially motivated attacks have been relatively rare in Britain in recent years, although increased assaults on Muslims have been reported since the July 7 bombings in London. The highest-profile race attack in recent years was the murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence in 1993.

Lawrence, 18, was stabbed to death in an unprovoked attack by white assailants at a London bus stop.

Five youths shouted racial insults at the teenager and then stabbed him in the arm and chest. Bleeding heavily, Lawrence ran more than 100 yards (meters) down the street for help, but collapsed and died.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I have read many posts here by people complaining about racism in Singapore (including many expats), there may be racism here and you will always find it everywhere in the world but what happened above in UK is just heinous.

Its ironic, a country claiming to fight terrorists and for human rights in other countries is unable to stop these atrocious incidents and attitude on its own land. :shock:
If such is the hatred in the social life that you slaughter somebody I just can't imagine the racial hatred and/ or discrimination in other aspects of life like jobs, human rights.........

Anyway to cut the story short to all the people complaining and grumbling about racism, common courtesies and blah blah blah in Singapore atleast such things don't happen here and frankly given a choice between a little bit of discomfort (in Singapore) and such horrifying incidents (in UK) I would choose the former.

Don't even want to start commenting on Great Britain........ (civilised & courteous people, human rights, equality, freedom, moden crusaders of terrorism such a load of crap :x ) welcome to the stone age.....

Anyways may God give peace to the family of the deceased.

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:58 am

What do you expected from a country who couldn't effectively deal with kids and their happy slapping antics. :x

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:06 pm

soon it'll be happy raping and happy killing. oh ya, happy raping already happened....

racist country

Postby racist country » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:48 pm

My dad is a racist; so is my mom. Similarly racists are my brother, sister and relatives. All the Malaysian friends I now have are, and those I had were or at the least had been, racists too.

Well, perhaps thanks to all these people, I have become - and remain - a racist as well.

You see, we are the members of a much larger community: Malaysia - the racist nation!

The term community is somewhat misleading. We are not united as such as a nation should be. We are only united by the fact that all of us - at one time or other - had been are or will become, racists......

All of us formally became racists in the year of 1971, when racism was institutionalised in Malaysia. Not that racism didn't exist before: it did; it lurked underneath, which --- as everyone knows --- erupted as the May 13 ethnic riots. Hence came the New Economic Policy, set up to divert the winds off the sails of racism. Ballasting the boat, and listing it in favour of the economically disadvantaged malay-Malaysians may lead to Malaysians seeing each other as equals, it was thought.

Then came the 80s, which also gave Dr Mahathir.

Still, racism remained somewhat otherworldly to me. All of us practiced racism, on the streets, in shops, in schools and in the house, but racism was never blatant - at least in my life. That changed as the 80s came to a close.

Please tell me, can anyone even imagine a multi-cultural Malaysian nation --- where no one discriminates the other on the basis of race, where everyone treats the other as a brother or sister - being run by the same racist parties that exist now? Is such a future even conceptually possible?

It is time for me to descend to earth and crawl back into my racist carapace, and be a realist again. And heap praises on our nation and on the ideals that are so central to its psyche:

long live, racism! Long live, racist Malaysia - the model racist nation!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:28 pm

it's common everywhere, where the privileged few clings on to their power and wealth and will defend it to the death.

hence, a future for Malaysia that is fair and equal for all is very unlikely.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:52 pm

I dont know why everybody is so worried about raceism. It's not such a bad thing when you consider it is everywhere all over the world, we live with it every day but only jump up and down when it refers to color or culture. I will try and explain what I mean. I know some small towns in Australia that compete on the football feild. They hate each others guts and sometimes it gets violent. Are they raceist because they come from a different town. It can start on this small scale and grow to affect a complete nation dividing it from north to south and east to west. The same go's all over the world for different reasons.

Just because someone has something bad to say about another race does that make them a raceist. I think not. When it comes to action and dividing or even killing people thats a little more serious but to just make a general statement and be blasted for being a raceist is a little over the top in my books. What about all the blond jokes, what about all the men jokes from the women, what about all the women jokes from the men. Aren't we all receist ???

Postby ... » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:42 pm

racist country wrote:My dad is a racist; so is my mom. Similarly racists are my brother, sister and relatives. All the Malaysian friends I now have are, and those I had were or at the least had been, racists too.

Well, perhaps thanks to all these people, I have become - and remain - a racist as well.

You see, we are the members of a much larger community: Malaysia - the racist nation!

The term community is somewhat misleading. We are not united as such as a nation should be. We are only united by the fact that all of us - at one time or other - had been are or will become, racists......

All of us formally became racists in the year of 1971, when racism was institutionalised in Malaysia. Not that racism didn't exist before: it did; it lurked underneath, which --- as everyone knows --- erupted as the May 13 ethnic riots. Hence came the New Economic Policy, set up to divert the winds off the sails of racism. Ballasting the boat, and listing it in favour of the economically disadvantaged malay-Malaysians may lead to Malaysians seeing each other as equals, it was thought.

Then came the 80s, which also gave Dr Mahathir.

Still, racism remained somewhat otherworldly to me. All of us practiced racism, on the streets, in shops, in schools and in the house, but racism was never blatant - at least in my life. That changed as the 80s came to a close.

Please tell me, can anyone even imagine a multi-cultural Malaysian nation --- where no one discriminates the other on the basis of race, where everyone treats the other as a brother or sister - being run by the same racist parties that exist now? Is such a future even conceptually possible?

It is time for me to descend to earth and crawl back into my racist carapace, and be a realist again. And heap praises on our nation and on the ideals that are so central to its psyche:

long live, racism! Long live, racist Malaysia - the model racist nation!

You sound like a sputtering, bitter person unable to contain this anger inside of you. Calm down. I kinda feel sorry for your self pity and bitterness. If you have a bone of contention with malaysia and their politicians, do something more constructive like send an email to the PM or join a political group to change things (or whatever), instead of butting into every single thread like this one and the skin colour thread just to take the opportunity to talk about malaysia and it's racial political system. If you dont like the country and are unwilling to make a change asides from sitting on the sidelines and sputtering gibberish on Singapore forums, I think you are a prime candidate for emigration. I just dislike whiners and it looks lie you are one.

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Postby Chris_Austria » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:42 pm

Guest, do you really think that this kind of behaviour is ok? When I read your post, I get the feeling that you try to make this topic sound harmless!

Still, there are some interesting aspects in your post, leading me to the question: "Is racism a natural byproduct of living together?" And:"Are we programmed to have conflicts?"

Racism in Europe is mainly a problem of economy: The largest part of imigrants to European countries such as Austria are people who hope to be able to have a better life (security, income etc.). However, life is not as easy in Europe as one might think, and unfortunately, many imigrants are unable to get a job. Some of them ultimately start to get involved in criminal activities. Prejudices are just the (wrong but common) answer of the inhabitants of the country who are afraid of crime, not afraid of a special race... and because humans tend to generalize about things, all imigrants are seen as people who want to exploit the country.

What I mean is that I don't think that the old concept of racism is still around in Europe: Back in the times of colonisation, Europeans really thought that their race was superior to Africans, and this was their justification for enslaving them. I don't think that this concept is still existent in people's minds. It's the fear of losing some the wealth and security.

Why have I analyzed this? Basically, I think that in order to find the best way to fight racism, we have to properly analyze where it comes from. Now if it's a economical problem, then we should be able to overcome it. That's also the reason why I think that, as we will have progress and better economical performance, racism will decrease to a certain (perhaps natural) level.
"We're the middle children of history, men. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives."

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:45 pm

Chris, i like your signature. Where is it from?

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:53 pm

LOL :lol: :lol:

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Postby Chris_Austria » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:08 pm

stefania wrote:Chris, i like your signature. Where is it from?

Fight Club... my favourite movie...

and @the racist with the "funny" jokes: What are you trying to compensate? That's so weak...
"We're the middle children of history, men. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives."

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 4:46 pm

Hi Chris,

I do not condone raceism for one minute. Its a complicated topic that I think we should all live with and just accept it a little more. I also was refering to this web site where everytime one mentions anothe race, one is immediatly flamed by many. Just like I said Singaporeans are not curtious and have bad manners. Everybody jumped on me for calling the little kid a bastard for running his shopping trolley into me. All I say is chill out guys if it is just an opinion it dont really matter that much. As for gassing Jews, well thats a pretty serious matter. 8) 8) 8)

Racism and Classicm

Postby Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:57 pm

Sometimes we tend to mix up racism with classicm.

Let me give you an example.

I have been going to this hawker centre near where i work, and I've noted that one of the Chinese women who runs a hawker stall has been verey rude to the Indian worker who cleans the tables. She treats him like shit. But, I'm Indian too, as dark as him, but I'm a lecture at the polytechnic next door. She knows it and she treats me with a high degree of respect.

So is she a racist? Perhaps not.

It is a question of class or perhaps even education. She obviously knows that I'm far more educated than her and she respects me for it. Should we call it Asian values then?

Postby Guest » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 1:54 am

NO MONEY NO TALK

Postby Guest » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 9:27 pm

Hia Martian, what religion do they practice on Mars?? :lol: