Singapore Expats Forum

A typical Singaporean job conflict. Who is the bad apple?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Slogger

A typical Singaporean job conflict. Who is the bad apple?

Postby Slogger » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 9:06 pm

A typical Singaporean job conflict......

I have here a common ugly incident at work. Staff A, a 50 year old man has just joined the company for 4 days. On the first day of work, he was given a bit of on the job training of how to use the Oracle software system by staff B; a lady in her thirties.

Staff B taught staff A the Oracle system rather hastily and impatiently; without giving much time for Staff A to jot down and take notes of the steps required to execute a sales order. Staff B also spoke aloud that she doesn't like teaching others.

On the 4th day, there were some errors in the new staff (A)'s work. Staff B reported to the boss surreptitiously that there were some incomplete sales orders that staff A had keyed in.

Staff A witnessed the quiet whisperings of Staff B to the boss. Staff A deduced that staff B must have told the boss that the new staff (A) is incompetent or something to the effect. But Staff A did not make/think much of it. (aka backstabbing)

As staff A is new, I believe there should be some margin of error OR what they commonly called the learning curve.

Later when Staff A wanted to process some sales order, staff B told him not to process anymore.

One hour later, Staff A (who had earlier tendered resignation) confronted Staff B over what had happened. Staff A banged on the table very loudly and give Staff B a piece of his mind. That is, as a new staff, there are bound to be some errors in a new staff's work initialy.

Staff A also reiterated that if staff B dislike teaching other new staff in OJT, then she should stay at home; because every old/senior staff should help to give OJT to new staff.Staff A comented that staff B is being selfish in her attitude.

SO gentlemen and ladies, my question is :-

1) who is the instigator/ catalyst for disharmonious office environment???

2) Is the approach taken by staff B wrong?

Thank you for all feedback.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 9:15 pm

look staff B may be wrong in many ways, but is it necessary for staff A to quit his job just after 4 days? there's still alot of things to be learned at work and he just quit after making some mistakes? did his boss ask him to leave? or ask him for compensation? unless he's boss is very obvious in siding staff B, then i think it's better leave, but if not. I believe he can see for himself that staff B is still learning to get into standard. my 2 cents worth.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 9:45 pm

Hey Slogger or is it Prime Rib. Either you are just cut and pasting somebody elses post from the OB or you are a sufferer of Multiple Personalities like Mystic Law. Hell, it may even be Mystic Law?

What did they say on the OB? And to think, it's not even Friday yet.

sms

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 9:47 pm

Don't you wish you had GuGuToo at times like this? :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:12 pm

Yeah? where is the mysterious one? I'd still like to have some of whatever it is he's on! :mrgreen:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:50 am

I am sure staff A and B are being managed by a very competent manager, who will easily solve this daily occurring matter, by enabling staff B to provide staff A with a thorough training.

Eric

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:31 pm

i'm not so sure of that, Eric, else this fiasco wouldn't have happened in the first place.

To knowingly assign a selfish and impatient Staff B to teach any newcomers is a recipe for disaster.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah? where is the mysterious one? I'd still like to have some of whatever it is he's on! :mrgreen:

Likewise! :D

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:57 pm

riversandlakes wrote:i'm not so sure of that, Eric, else this fiasco wouldn't have happened in the first place.

To knowingly assign a selfish and impatient Staff B to teach any newcomers is a recipe for disaster.

you are right, it is asking for a disaster with that attitude. But sometimes a certain attitude exposed can have different backgrounds (none of them being an excuse, but only a way to understand expsoed behaviour).

I reread my posting and I probably wasnot clear on my thoughts.

In my opinion a manager should instruct, guide and control his or her employees. Give staff B the responsibility of setting up training, let her or him report result and go through together, then have staff A being trained by Staff B. After training sit down shortly with both A and B and evaluate result of training.

In case of problems occurring like being mentioned, it is more visible where things went wrong.

When manangers do not do a good job in guiding their people, the shit will hit the fan eventually. Only when shown their seniority and ability to independantly manage their job, staff A and B should work independant. In my opinion this has not been the case, so a manager should manage them more hands on.

Eric