Singapore Expats Forum

Indonesia's assembly chief calls for death penalty for graft

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Indonesia's assembly chief calls for death penalty for graft

Postby briceloh » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 3:12 pm

hmm... just read the update on CNA. was wondering how r they going to pass this law when it's widely known that there are corruptions every where u go in that country. what do u guys think abt it?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 3:22 pm

I worked in Indonesia for about 10 years (82-92) and frankly, without graft, you will never get anything done. It is part and parcel of their basic psychic. It just like the current plan several days ago about raising the salary level in their Civil Service (a 30% increase I believe). This will raise their salaries to being only 20% below the poverty level! As graft pervades every level of society it will never transpire or it will never have any teeth, one of the two.

sms

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 4:11 pm

agreed, that's what bothering me too. r they trying to tell us that they'll put to death their president if he is found guilty of graft? i'd a friend who told me that their armed forces is so corrupted that they do things that u'll never believe. and if they are going to prosecute everybody who are corrupted, how r they going to get at the armed forces who practically control the whole nation?