Singapore Expats

Looking for major Asian Retailers

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.
Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Looking for major Asian Retailers

Post by Chris_Austria » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 4:38 pm

Hi!

I have to do a very huge market survey, covering all important retailers of Asia (on a national and international level)

I found approx. 400 retailers so far, but I think that there are many more out there...

so I thought, as there are many Asian expats here, maybe you could help me: It would be great if you just wrote some big retailer chains (no matter what industry: clothes, food, hardware, electronics etc.) of the following countries:

Australia, China (+ extra focus on Hong Kong), India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam

about the size of the retailers: minimum 20 stores nationwide...

It would be so great if you could just write some names that you know + the country where the retail chain is located

Btw: In case you want to tell me that: Yes, I know that this is crazy and that such a survey will never be completed... :lol:

Thank you very much for your help!

cheers, Christoph
"We're the middle children of history, men. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives."

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris_Austria » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 9:48 am

Is there nobody out there who could spare 5 minutes of his/her time to help me... I'd really appreciate it, as I've no idea how to do this without the help of people who know these markets... please!!!!!

Thank you very much in advance,

Christoph
"We're the middle children of history, men. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives."

Est_

Post by Est_ » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Chris,

Hmm.. I'm not sure if they have 20 or more but that's what I can think of for now lol.. Hope it helps.

Singapore:

1) Charles & Keith
2) Breadtalk
3) 77th street
4) Courts

Malaysia:

1) Vincci
2) Seed

Australia:

1) Billabong
2) Mambo
3) Roxy
4) Spotlight?
5) Harvey Norman

Not sure if it's from Japan but anyway:

1) Mos burger
2) Muji
3) Yoshinoya
4) Sony
5) Fujitsu
6) Toshiba
7) Best Denki

Korea:

1) LG?
2) Samsung?
3) Daewoo?
~The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched... but are felt in the heart.~

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris_Austria » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:56 pm

thank you very much, Est, but please consider that I am looking for RETAILERS! I'm not sure whether Sony, LG etc. are therefore suitable (and if they really have outlets, I don't think that they are very interesting because they only have their own brands).

Nevertheless: Thank you very much!

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:04 pm

Australia:

Sportsgirl (they used to have loads of stores even in Singapore but closed down and i'm not sure if they have more than 20 but you can check nevertheless?)

I dunno if these are relevant: K-MART, COLES, MYER, DAVID JONES

Singapore:

Capitol Optical Sells optical wear and lenses, retail outlets all over Singapore

Perhaps you could explain a lil further on what you need?

Est_

Post by Est_ » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:06 pm

You're welcome Chris.

I can't really think of much but I believe that they do have their own stores though, doesn't matter I guess the others from the forum will be able to help you out with the rest of the information that you need.

Good luck! :D
~The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched... but are felt in the heart.~

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris_Austria » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:30 pm

@stefania: Thanks! Yeah, all these chains are important (but I allready had them in my database)

Was my first post not precise enough or why do you ask me to explain it better? I am looking for retail chains (such as Coles, Kmart, Ikea, Harvey Norman, Seven 11, etc) which are located in Asian countries (no matter if they are foreign owned or Asian companies)..

thanks for your help, I am looking forward to more input :lol:

Est_

Post by Est_ » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:38 pm

Oh!!! Then there will be Isetan, Howards Storage World, Cold Storage, Carrefour, Bi Lo Supermarkets

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Yahoo has a good business database, so you could run some searches there, something like "list of retailers Taiwan" or alike. Otherwise, use the chambers of commerce of the different countries. search for their sites on yahoo or google and they will be able to provide you with long lists of retailers.

There are certainly more than 400 around in Asia...

Viel Glueck!

Eric

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:43 pm

Chris_Austria wrote:@stefania: Thanks! Yeah, all these chains are important (but I allready had them in my database)

Was my first post not precise enough or why do you ask me to explain it better? I am looking for retail chains (such as Coles, Kmart, Ikea, Harvey Norman, Seven 11, etc) which are located in Asian countries (no matter if they are foreign owned or Asian companies)..

thanks for your help, I am looking forward to more input :lol:
You consider Australian to be asian? :P

What about Jeans West, Just Jeans, Portmans, Esprit, Accessorize, Toy'R'Us, Roads, Spectacle Hut, Burger King, Hungry Jacks, Macdonald's, KFC?

Have i lost the plot yet? :P

Chris_Austria
Regular
Regular

Post by Chris_Austria » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 1:43 pm

@stefania: Australia and New Zealand are also target markets of my company, that's why I added them here... :lol:

and thank you again... btw: Restaurants are not important (thank god)

@eric: thanks for your advice... the chamber commerce is unfortunately not willing to provide much information without payment..

already googled a lot, but there aren't really any appropriate lists (hey, that's why we make one and try to sell it :lol: .. I mean, my boss tries to sell it, I am just his "slave" :lol: :lol: .... just kidding)

god damn, I can't find a reliable, English telephone book for China in the internet... :evil: going mad!!!

kansah
Regular
Regular

Post by kansah » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 9:34 am

Hi Chris,

Not sure if these stores have 20 branches, but I know that these are the major malls/retailers in the Philippines:
Rustans
Linea Italia
These are malls there, but they have their own shops and sell lots of stuff:
Robinsons
Ayala
SM
Gaisano

Hope this helps!!!
Think of the solution; not the problem.