Singapore Expats Forum

Buying gifts for women

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

Buying gifts for women

Postby YF » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 7:38 am

Hey guys, I came across this article today. It was funny because I was just having a conversation with my friend not two days ago saying it wasny my style to buy girls gifts (unless its a special occasion) but I would take her out to nice places etc. She was telling me that amongst wealthy asian guys gift giving is quite common--telling me how she had friends whos boyfriends would buy them BMW's. I don't know how it is in Singapore but I thought you might like to read this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7737

Can't argue with science.

Girls: Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag, it had to be done.

ahem

Postby ahem » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:46 am

This study is essentially flawed. They assume that everyone has the same values and priorities in life. This is not so at all.

What they consider "worthless" gifts are not at all worthless.

Something of low monetary value may become priceless when given with good intentions and received at the same level. You cannot put a price on sentimental value :idea:

kept women

Postby kept women » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:50 am

That's the name for women who receive presents like expensive jewellery, cars, having their monthly rents for exclusive apartments, club memberships, etc, etc, paid for by rich boyfriends who are normally someone else's husbands . . .

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:54 am

kept women wrote:That's the name for women who receive presents like expensive jewellery, cars, having their monthly rents for exclusive apartments, club memberships, etc, etc, paid for by rich boyfriends who are normally someone else's husbands . . .

No shit! If you hadn't enlightened us, we would have been in the dark. Many thanks! :D
So, gigolos is the term for kept men? I quite like the sound of that. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

local lass

Postby local lass » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:09 am

Romantic gifts are never meant to be practical.

If a girl likes you, even a flower plucked from the roadside would be considered romantic.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 6:20 pm

I agree that it's not so much the monetary value that matters, although it is one way to assess a guy's seriousness... for example if he is rich and splurges on himself but only buys you cheap gifts that's not too good.

Rightly or wrongly, I dfiferentiate between gifts to me that benefit him, and those that don't. For instance, expensive dinners and sexy lingerie fall into the first category, whereas buying a CD that he knows I've been looking for or a decoration for my place falls in the second.

If a guy really cares about you, he would buy gifts that you would like, not just to benefit himself. So I would really look beyond the money and ask myself what his intention was.

Good intentions include: to spend time with me (eg paying for a holiday), to make me happy (eg flowers), to provide for my needs (eg petrol for my car). Not-so-good intentions include: to cater for his needs (eg rent a place for him to secretly meet me at), to make him happy (eg slimming products), to show off to his friends (eg skimpy clothes)....

How about the guys answering this question - what would be good gifts for a girl to give a man she likes?

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:58 pm

You forget that guys would probably live off pizza and hamburgers (or the Sinapore equivalent) -- if a guys taking you out for a nice dinner, its all about you. If hes taking you to the Theatre, well hed probably rather go to a sporting event--again, its all about you.

I have no problem with buying a girl girfs but anything thats expensive I generally save for birthday, xmas, and v-day. Little thoughtful stuff though is fine.

-Rob