Singapore Expats Forum

shooting 8 times

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bravo!

shooting 8 times

Postby bravo! » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 4:47 pm

How many bullets does it take to kill a man/person?????

My sympathies for his family in Brazil.

Cerrio

Postby Cerrio » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 8:04 pm

Shot 8 times!!!!! :?:

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 8:12 pm

I heard on the news that his employment visa was running out. The police officers that shot him were in plain clothes. The Brazillian lived in an area which is known for very high gun and gang related crime. There is said to be at least one shooting incident a day in that area. So add all these facts together and work out for yourselves why he did not stop when he was asked to do so.

Could it be that he failed to stop because he thought he was being followed by gangsters with guns??? It is so confusing.

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 8:26 pm

good, S'porean police should also try shoot most useless malays here

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 8:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:good, S'porean police should also try shoot most useless malays here

r u trying to start something here? pls be responsible in what u say. ppl like u do not help in situations like this and only add fuel to the fire. thx to u we have more wars and fightings then needed. :x

Sir Ian

Re: shooting 8 times

Postby Sir Ian » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 8:53 pm

bravo! wrote:How many bullets does it take to kill a man/person?????

My sympathies for his family in Brazil.

I feel very sorry for his family, too, but I really cannot imagine how anyone would still go on and on about how many shots were fired. Why can't we let the official investigation run it's course and stop speculating? Speculation fans the flames of criticism and puts pressure on the police to dampen their effectiveness, thereby helping the next suicide bomber to successfully detonate his bomb within the crowd.

Look at the broad situation more calmly and you'll have to understand that the utmost priority of the police is to capture a terrorist ALIVE to get valuable information from him. Yes, they definitely want him alive and not dead. To imagine otherwise is surely not a valid argument, it's completely lacking in simple logic.

Look at the length of time when the police DID NOT shoot him. They only shot him when he rushed into a crowded subway carriage. Yes, and when there were maximum number of witnesses too. Doesn't this put a dent into the allegation that the police WANTED to shoot him dead?

To continue to speculate on why so many shots were fired is tantamount to imply that the police have this strange desire to kill the suspect and this idea is completely lacking in any sense.

Look at it another way: if it is at all humanly possible, if he were really a suicide bomber, the police would try every means possible to bring him back from the dead so as to get information from him. Does this make it any clearer why it is senseless to allege that the police have this unexplainable desire to kill him?

Now, if this begins to make sense, even if it's in a weird, hypothetical way, then you have to dismiss the other idea that the police have this desire to kill him. For if one idea stands, the other must drop.

So let's stop all these needless speculations on the number of bullets and let the official investigation get on with their job. You can't believe they're hiding anything from us, after all, they've chosen to shoot where there were the largest number of eye-witnesses.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54 pm

I couldn't agree more with Sir Ian. Granted they made a mistake but from the few facts we have, it does seem like they were simply trying to protect all the other people there.

What would everyone be saying if the police told him to stop, he didn't, they didn't shoot him, and then he bombed the whole place? Wouldn't that be a terrible thing too?

They were just trying to do their job. It was a tough call. There was little time to ponder options. Give them a break.

Postby Guest » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 1:51 am

The police are trained to protect the general public are they not, for shite sake???

Surely, when they'd overpowered him by pushing him to the ground and shot him once in the head, where was the urgency to carry on shooting him so mercilessly eight times. Once the poor man is lying on the floor so completely helplessly, the police should have checked and then done what was necessary to do eg arrest him or even just injure him somewhere in the leg or foot. For goodness sake, stop making excuses for the police. They are supposed to be highly trained in matters like these with tax payers money.

In Britain they have a law whereby the police can stop and search anyone they suspect of anything criminal. It is known as 'STOP AND SEARCH'. This involves stopping anyone suspicious. So far there have been no shootings in this field of policing in the UK. They simply stop people if they think they look suspicious and this does involve approaching the suspecet first.

Can you imagine the dangers inherent in this kind of policing? What if an ordinary person on the street they suspect is carrying a bomb inside his jacket or coat? It can get very cold in the UK in winter as you probably all know. ARE THEY GOING TO SHOOT FIRST AND THEN STOP THAT PERSON FROM NOW ON????????

How are they going to reconcile the 'stop and search' policy with 'shoot to kill ' policy, from now on?? It is quite confusing.

ang moh

Postby ang moh » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 4:32 pm

Good question.

hats off

Postby hats off » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 5:16 pm

I think 'stop and search' is a very good policy and should be used regardless of who the person is or what is his ethnicity. Majority of the criminal activities are stopped before they become a full blown crime, this way. So, I haven't heard where the police shot and killed while carrying out 'stop and searches' on anyone. BUT THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS area of policing too because they have to get quite close to the suspects in order to search them, I think.

Having said that in my view the British police is still the most humane police in the world. They might lose their cool every now and then but when one needs help they are there for you and treat you like a human and not like some kind of 'suspicious object'. They do speak to you on the streets and always greet you when they bump into you anywhere in London. I am not sure about the police in the suburbs. I guess they are the same there too. :D

So, I have the highest regard for the British police. THEY ARE HUMANE. :D

good

Postby good » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 8:48 pm

:D :D :D

Guest from Japan

between brackets

Postby Guest from Japan » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:10 pm

hats off wrote:... British police is still the most humane police in the world....

Probably. But don't forget the Japanese police as well. They are so polite that they use expressions such as "your honorable person"(trans) when they address a driver for example. Stop and search is virtually no existing, especially against foreigners, because if they do so they could be accused of discrimination. I know the situation is different in the UK, but just felt that the above statment was a little subjective. By the way I also lived in the UK for more than 6 years and had no trouble at all with the police. They were actually very likable, especially when they work in pairs (male and female officers).

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:36 pm

hats off wrote:I think 'stop and search' is a very good policy and should be used regardless of who the person is or what is his ethnicity. Majority of the criminal activities are stopped before they become a full blown crime, this way. So, I haven't heard where the police shot and killed while carrying out 'stop and searches' on anyone. BUT THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS area of policing too because they have to get quite close to the suspects in order to search them, I think.

Having said that in my view the British police is still the most humane police in the world. They might lose their cool every now and then but when one needs help they are there for you and treat you like a human and not like some kind of 'suspicious object'. They do speak to you on the streets and always greet you when they bump into you anywhere in London. I am not sure about the police in the suburbs. I guess they are the same there too. :D

Well I guess many will think I am contradicting myself here, but I am not! I voiced my opinions of the force earlier on, I am still justified to do so, after many years of being let down by them in a anti-social area, which went on 15 years, and in fact is still going on today.

The Pakistani shop keeper that was and is abused all these years, did well to stick it out, I couldn't, after he logged 4000 reports of abuse against him, he was still ignored, my home was opposite his shop, So I also had the problems of riots and petrol bombs on the door step.

It wasn't until the shop keeper recruited personalities, like Nelson Mandela, that government started to sit up, and listen, eventually the police did apologise to him for neglecting the issues all these years. That doesn't help me, that so my property devalue to nothing.

All said, thats in the past, but my main beef is, Europe, human rights and the laws of England. Today the criminals have the advantage, one is not allowed to protect ones, property, the police are not interested, because they can do very little, before the criminals are allowed to do the same crime and seek compensation against you, if you try to stop them.

There are many very good cops, that i do know personally, and they also tell me, there are many bad cops in the force, and MUM is the word, which means, you keep your mouth shut. The UK police is very cliche, and like the military, they don't like any member bringing the force into the limelight.

In many cases I agree, we still do have one of the most humane police force in the world. But that doesn't mean to say there are not evil bastards in the force, and racists, because there are many. Local BBC have done many under cover documentaries to expose the culprits, it's unavoidable, no matter which country one will always get them, the evil ones. So hopefully I have now made myself a little more popular, not that I am to worried about being popular.

But I dislike people saying that I am not British, because I speak the trueth, and they don't like to hear the trueth.

Postby Guest » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:40 pm

ksl wrote:
hats off wrote:I think 'stop and search' is a very good policy and should be used regardless of who the person is or what is his ethnicity. Majority of the criminal activities are stopped before they become a full blown crime, this way. So, I haven't heard where the police shot and killed while carrying out 'stop and searches' on anyone. BUT THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS area of policing too because they have to get quite close to the suspects in order to search them, I think.

Well I guess many will think I am contradicting myself here, but I am not! I voiced my opinions of the force earlier on, I am still justified to do so, after many years of being let down by them in a anti-social area, which went on 15 years, and in fact is still going on today.

The Pakistani shop keeper that was and is abused all these years, did well to stick it out, I couldn't, after he logged 4000 reports of abuse against him, he was still ignored, my home was opposite his shop, So I also had the problems of riots and petrol bombs on the door step.

It wasn't until the shop keeper recruited personalities, like Nelson Mandela, that government started to sit up, and listen, eventually the police did apologise to him for neglecting the issues all these years. That doesn't help me, that so my property devalue to nothing.

All said, thats in the past, but my main beef is, Europe, human rights and the laws of England. Today the criminals have the advantage, one is not allowed to protect ones, property, the police are not interested, because they can do very little, before the criminals are allowed to do the same crime and seek compensation against you, if you try to stop them.

There are many very good cops, that i do know personally, and they also tell me, there are many bad cops in the force, and MUM is the word, which means, you keep your mouth shut. The UK police is very cliche, and like the military, they don't like any member bringing the force into the limelight.

In many cases I agree, we still do have one of the most humane police force in the world. But that doesn't mean to say there are not evil bastards in the force, and racists, because there are many. Local BBC have done many under cover documentaries to expose the culprits, it's unavoidable, no matter which country one will always get them, the evil ones. So hopefully I have now made myself a little more popular, not that I am to worried about being popular.

But I dislike people saying that I am not British, because I speak the trueth, and they don't like to hear the trueth.

What do you mean?

Postby Guest » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 6:54 am

Birmingham hit by a tornedo in July, is it true? Is it not supposed to be a summer over there?