Singapore Expats Forum
 

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

One World International School




Sponsored by:

Singapore Immigration Experts
finale
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:44 am

Post by finale » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:51 am

Hi , After readin all the info , was quite pessimistic to apply approval of marriage from MOM as I am a Singapore and my gf is PRC .

But I would like to share a good news with you guys as MOM has approved our marriage regardless of my low income 1.8k and i only have 5 o Levels and I am only age 27 and yet to pay income tax .

I would like to encourage all couple to gain approval irregardless of yr current situation and status : )

I have already ROM with my spouse to be , and already applied VISA for her to return to SG to ROM , however its still under pending for 2 weeks + , really curious what is going on :???:

So after visa is approval and ROM , i can straight apply LTVP right guys ? Thanks in advance !

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 9:27 am

finale wrote:Hi , After readin all the info , was quite pessimistic to apply approval of marriage from MOM as I am a Singapore and my gf is PRC .

But I would like to share a good news with you guys as MOM has approved our marriage regardless of my low income 1.8k and i only have 5 o Levels and I am only age 27 and yet to pay income tax .

I would like to encourage all couple to gain approval irregardless of yr current situation and status : )

I have already ROM with my spouse to be , and already applied VISA for her to return to SG to ROM , however its still under pending for 2 weeks + , really curious what is going on :???:

So after visa is approval and ROM , i can straight apply LTVP right guys ? Thanks in advance !
MOM may approve marriage, but ICA may not approve the LTVP... Yes, they really expect you to get married and live apart, or to visit back and forth.

Good luck, and please post updates for future people in your situation.

ZDL
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:18 pm

Post by ZDL » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 7:03 pm

Hi

Would to check, I intend to marry a ex wp and I know that I need to apply permission from mom.

The question is should I apply for the permission before she come over to sg or need her to be in town?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:28 pm

As long as you have all of her particulars, I reckon it wouldn't matter. I could be wrong, but I've not seen or heard anything to the contrary.

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Seeking advice

Post by Skypirate » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:49 pm

Dear all, wishing you a belated Merry Xmas.

I am here to seek advice on my situation and would really appreciate any inputs on the matter.

Brief background. I am a Singaporean, 31 years old, and planning to marry my Malaysian gf (current WP holder who has resigned from her employer of 3 years)
I have followed the procedure of submitting my intention of marriage to MOM and currently waiting for the application letter by post. (Hopefully to receive by next week)

A few enquiries:
a. Other than the application form, what other supporting documents would be needed?
(My Income tax / My Monthly Salary Slips / Education Certificates for both parties) (Is there a need to translate her educational certificate to English?)

b. What are the chances of approval? I fully understand that this is not MOM and no one has the ability to see through the crystal ball. But a general feel would really be helpful to calm her nerves.
Basically:
Myself. Degree/Diploma. Obedient income tax payer. Monthly income is 5k gross since April 2011, annual remuneration averaging about 90k-110k. Obediently served my NS as regular and still doing my reservist.

My gf. Form 5 (N level?) Been working in Singapore continously (with some short breaks in between) for past 8 years. Always been in sales related functions (non-objectionable occupations) and clean criminal record (as far as I know)

Knowing the pragmatism policies of our government, correct me if I am wrong please, I do believed economic / self sustainability would be high up on their list of consideration.
Other than this, are there any other factors that they would primarily consider?
Definitely not a marriage of convenience as we have been together for past 6 years (Do we even need to prove this?)

I am really hoping that my application would be smooth. (sorry, I am kind of a half empty guy in such situation)

Would there be anything else that I could perhaps prepare as supporting documents to further strengthen my application?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. My apologies if the entire thing is too wordly and tmi. Typical kiasu Singaporean trying to make sure every details are provided.
Thank you and Regards.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Seeking advice

Post by JR8 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:10 am

Skypirate wrote: Knowing the pragmatism policies of our government, correct me if I am wrong please, I do believed economic / self sustainability would be high up on their list of consideration.
Yes I understand that this is the motive. And of course it makes sense too.
Skypirate wrote: Other than this, are there any other factors that they would primarily consider?
Definitely not a marriage of convenience as we have been together for past 6 years (Do we even need to prove this?)

If you can I would. Do you have any joint bank accounts, or utility bills in joint names? I had, and I provided both of these.

Skypirate wrote: I am really hoping that my application would be smooth. (sorry, I am kind of a half empty guy in such situation)
Would there be anything else that I could perhaps prepare as supporting documents to further strengthen my application?
Provide what is required. Then add what you feel strongly should make your case clear. Don't go mad and add a copy of your Bronze Award 50m back-stroke award from junior school though ;) Keep it focused and relevant. Anything you have that makes a persuasive case as to the depth of your relationship.

Skypirate wrote: Any advice would be deeply appreciated. My apologies if the entire thing is too wordly and tmi. Typical kiasu Singaporean trying to make sure every details are provided. Thank you and Regards.
Hehehe seemed fine to me. It's not kiasu, rather it is dotting I's and crossing T's. Sensible when you are 'on a mission'.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on ok?

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Post by Skypirate » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 1:03 am

Dear JR8,

Thanks! I really appreciate your prompt response on this.
Unfortunately I do not have the joint account or the utilities bill. Perhaps I should send a family photo lol.

Thanks for empathising on my 'situation'. Preparing all I can for this sortie and hopefully will be a successful one to report in.

Cheers

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 8:48 am

Skypirate, I think as long as your gf's record (and yours!) is clean you should have no problem. MP's were questioned on MOM's criteria last year (you can find it on some of the online newspaper sites). They pretty much said that most applications are approved, and that the primary criteria is just that the Singaporean's income can support the former WP spouse so that they will not burden the system. Your income is more than sufficient.

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Post by Skypirate » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:54 am

zzm9980 wrote:Skypirate, I think as long as your gf's record (and yours!) is clean you should have no problem. MP's were questioned on MOM's criteria last year (you can find it on some of the online newspaper sites). They pretty much said that most applications are approved, and that the primary criteria is just that the Singaporean's income can support the former WP spouse so that they will not burden the system. Your income is more than sufficient.
Dear zzm9980,

Thank you for the sharing. I did read about them but I just wished that the criteria can be more transparent.

My gf record is clean, has never been fired nor absconded from all her previous work employments in Singapore. In fact I asked her to resign because of our planned marriage and family plans. (Mum is chasing me for a grand child :x)
Myself, other than a few parking ticket fines, I am clean! (Thanks for reminder, I will also gonna send a copy of police record over)

Income wise I am going to go all out in supporting documents of payslip, income taxes, savings statement, and CPF. xD

To show that we have been an item for many years (unfortunately I don't have the joint account statement which JR8 has), I am going to append an additional letter with the vouch of my mum :P and also our 'family overseas trip photo'.

Sounds cheesy tbh...but anything that strengthens our case I will definitely gonna give it a shot.
Once again I really appreciate the reassurance that you are giving and it will be a good shot of confidence for my gf.

Shall definitely keep you people updated on the progress.
Have a nice weekend ahead!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 1:30 pm

Skypirate wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Skypirate, I think as long as your gf's record (and yours!) is clean you should have no problem. MP's were questioned on MOM's criteria last year (you can find it on some of the online newspaper sites). They pretty much said that most applications are approved, and that the primary criteria is just that the Singaporean's income can support the former WP spouse so that they will not burden the system. Your income is more than sufficient.
Dear zzm9980,

Thank you for the sharing. I did read about them but I just wished that the criteria can be more transparent.

My gf record is clean, has never been fired nor absconded from all her previous work employments in Singapore. In fact I asked her to resign because of our planned marriage and family plans. (Mum is chasing me for a grand child :x)
Myself, other than a few parking ticket fines, I am clean! (Thanks for reminder, I will also gonna send a copy of police record over)

Income wise I am going to go all out in supporting documents of payslip, income taxes, savings statement, and CPF. xD

To show that we have been an item for many years (unfortunately I don't have the joint account statement which JR8 has), I am going to append an additional letter with the vouch of my mum :P and also our 'family overseas trip photo'.

Sounds cheesy tbh...but anything that strengthens our case I will definitely gonna give it a shot.
Once again I really appreciate the reassurance that you are giving and it will be a good shot of confidence for my gf.

Shall definitely keep you people updated on the progress.
Have a nice weekend ahead!
Photos are good. Even better if you went on holiday somewhere together you can show passport chops. Say entering and leaving Thailand at the same time. That's the kind of thing the US Embassy loves to see, I'm sure Singapore would also. But honestly I don't think you'll have a hard time proving a genuine relationship here. That's mostly old ah gong with the 20yr old PRC or Vietnamese fiances.

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Post by Skypirate » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 4:16 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Skypirate wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Skypirate, I think as long as your gf's record (and yours!) is clean you should have no problem. MP's were questioned on MOM's criteria last year (you can find it on some of the online newspaper sites). They pretty much said that most applications are approved, and that the primary criteria is just that the Singaporean's income can support the former WP spouse so that they will not burden the system. Your income is more than sufficient.
Dear zzm9980,

Thank you for the sharing. I did read about them but I just wished that the criteria can be more transparent.

My gf record is clean, has never been fired nor absconded from all her previous work employments in Singapore. In fact I asked her to resign because of our planned marriage and family plans. (Mum is chasing me for a grand child :x)
Myself, other than a few parking ticket fines, I am clean! (Thanks for reminder, I will also gonna send a copy of police record over)

Income wise I am going to go all out in supporting documents of payslip, income taxes, savings statement, and CPF. xD

To show that we have been an item for many years (unfortunately I don't have the joint account statement which JR8 has), I am going to append an additional letter with the vouch of my mum :P and also our 'family overseas trip photo'.

Sounds cheesy tbh...but anything that strengthens our case I will definitely gonna give it a shot.
Once again I really appreciate the reassurance that you are giving and it will be a good shot of confidence for my gf.

Shall definitely keep you people updated on the progress.
Have a nice weekend ahead!
Photos are good. Even better if you went on holiday somewhere together you can show passport chops. Say entering and leaving Thailand at the same time. That's the kind of thing the US Embassy loves to see, I'm sure Singapore would also. But honestly I don't think you'll have a hard time proving a genuine relationship here. That's mostly old ah gong with the 20yr old PRC or Vietnamese fiances.
Awesome. Thank you very much.
We do have passport chops together for South Korea and Bali. Definitely going to photocopy it and send together as supporting documents.

(Mum went with us as well to Korea, going to rope in her passport to as a show of family haha)

Thanks again!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 5:06 pm

Sounds like you have a solid plan now. Good Luck. :wink:

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Post by Skypirate » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 8:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sounds like you have a solid plan now. Good Luck. :wink:
Thanks 'SMS' for the well wishing.

Waiting anxiously for the application letter to come so that I can launch my sortie :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:01 pm

Skypirate wrote: Awesome. Thank you very much.
We do have passport chops together for South Korea and Bali. Definitely going to photocopy it and send together as supporting documents.

(Mum went with us as well to Korea, going to rope in her passport to as a show of family haha)

Thanks again!
Yes together with photos of you all together, good idea!

Skypirate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:21 pm

Post by Skypirate » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 7:32 pm

JR8 wrote:
Skypirate wrote: Awesome. Thank you very much.
We do have passport chops together for South Korea and Bali. Definitely going to photocopy it and send together as supporting documents.

(Mum went with us as well to Korea, going to rope in her passport to as a show of family haha)

Thanks again!
Yes together with photos of you all together, good idea!
Thanks JR8, I am getting all the munitions ready for the mission!
Appreciate if you guys can help to peruse if I am missing out anything critical.

Additionally, based on experience when does the application letter usually arrive?
(I called up MOM and provided our details on 26 Dec of which they cited 14 working days) Hope it aren't that long by actual experience.

Financial Documents
1. Payslip for last 6 months (Hers and mine) - Checked
2. Bank balance statement (Hers and mine) - Checked
3. Notice of Assessment (2011 / 2012) - Checked
4. CPF Printout - Checked

Qualifications
1. Degree and Transcript - Checked
2. Diploma and Transcript - Checked
3. Form 5 Certificate (Hers) - Checked Do they need an English translated version?
4. Letter of Appreciation from NS Commander - Checked (lol)

Marriage of Convenience
1. Passport Details (Hers and mine) - Checked
2. Passport stamps for Korea trip - Checked
3. Photos of Family trip - Checked
4. Insurance Notice with our home address (Hers) - Checked

------------------
Last but not least, I presume we will be sending all these photostatted documents back by post?

Gum xia all!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests