Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 10:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote::roll: If you think so.
I don't think I know so! I spent a couple of hours helping someone getting clearance. So yes I know so :lol: I also thought i had posted you ICA's letter on the persons renewal. it tells you in black and white, to ask the MOM controller for permission to work.

I think any LTVSP holder that is married, and has recieved an electronic reply can confim this wording on the letter, without (WORK PERMIT)

Lucky I still have the letter on file of the person I helped out.

Important Notice:
Holder of Visit Pass is not permitted to work or engage in any business, profession or occupation without a valid work permit or written consent from the Controller of Work Pass. Happy Now! :P No you will not find it on the website! As i said it's for married people to Citizens/PR's only.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:14 pm

As I said, if you think so. As it's NOT written on the website, and as you yourself said, it's a special permission given by ICA then you cannot say definitely that she will get it. If it was a sure thing, it would be on the website, would you think? I hope you're right. But it's obviously not a sure thing, else they would need "special" dispensation from the comptroller.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As I said, if you think so. As it's NOT written on the website, and as you yourself said, it's a special permission given by ICA then you cannot say definitely that she will get it. If it was a sure thing, it would be on the website, would you think? I hope you're right. But it's obviously not a sure thing, else they would need "special" dispensation from the comptroller.
Is it a sure thing you will have a job to go to?
There are no guarantees we wake up in the morning either, right! People have to take life as it comes!
It's hardly special, even if it is case by case, it is special in the fact that it overrides, what is stated on the website for a reason, and that reason is clear that's all.
Like commonsense does prevail, when you get to discuss with the right people.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:19 am

ICA recognise the fact that PR will not be given so easy to spouses, though will not block them from employment providing the works controller authorises permission.
Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me. Hope it is though.

Oh, since when does the gahmen always use common sense?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 2:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ICA recognise the fact that PR will not be given so easy to spouses, though will not block them from employment providing the works controller authorises permission.
Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me. Hope it is though.

Oh, since when does the gahmen always use common sense?
Well you are right there! It could also be that not every LTVSP renewal has the same wording, for everyone too. So it would be interesting to hear from others that have renewed their LTVSP.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:34 am

@KSL. For LTSVP holders that are married to Sger/ SPR is not allowed to find employment unless given permission from ICA/MOM. This is case by case basis. Hence the website does not show outright approval or else there will be a floodgate of these holders looking for jobs. That is the very reason the local spouse need to earn minimum $2.5 K in order to support their foreign spouse. My brother's wife(a foreigner) was not allowed to apply for job for many years until she had her PR.(Five years waiting to be exact).
While I understand that the family you help manage to get approval for employment but this is not an outright approval for all.
This is similar to deferment of NS children, alot of grey areas that get muddied along the way.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 4:58 pm

For LTSVP holders that are married to Sger/ SPR is not allowed to find employment unless given permission from ICA/MOM.
This is correct, that everything is case by case, even EP applications and that is nothing new.

Though it only applies to Singaporeans/PR's who meet the requirements of $2500 a month, that get LTVSP for their wives.

My point is that if a citizen/PR is married with spouse on LTVSP, they will be informed on their electronic reply on what to do.

A few I know that have been married to Taiwanese have never asked MOM as they have never noticed the wording on the LTVSP reply.

In respect of a Citizen/PR who is earning $2500 with a wife/husband on LTVSP I believe the LTVSP holder is exempt from earing $2500.

Some spouses want flexibility, as they look after Children and only want part time work for example 15 to 20 hrs, in which a work permit is not issued, so the controller of works can authorise this part time work, just like the Dependant pass holders get written approval, that's what I meant.

Of course it is case by case like everything here!

But all along the gripe is that if it isn't on the website you cannot do it approach, and that is not the case.

SMS calls them loop holes but they are not loop holes as such, they are rules and agreements for direct dependants between MOM & ICA and they are there to be negotiated to the satisfaction of MOM.

Though it's a little unfair to hold this information back, when some spouses have been stuck here for several years without knowing how to help their own circumstances.

My point is that if their LTVSP has a warning that written consent from a controller is required. Then it doesn't help that they are turned away from the front desk, saying it is not possible to work, because you have a LTVSP.

As this is for the controller to decide and not the front desk workers, basically when i went with this person, they had been rejected at the reception before, and they also tried to reject us too.

Until I asked them if they had difficulty understanding the words (Written Consent from a controller)in English. It was only then, that the person was sent to the correct cubicle, and it is only then that any options you have are explained. In Singapore has a spouse on LTVSP, if you find a full time job, naturally they will see if you qualify for the work permit or any other work pass.

Though if you do not qualify because of hours you want to work, they can authorise with written permission on a case by case scenario to cover part time work.

This is extremely helpful for spouses looking after Children.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 5:43 pm

KSL, I agree. Wait till you try to help those poor souls that has run foul with NS Law. It is worse than the LTSVP thingey. At least for yours it is written clearly even though in small print. In NS issues, no two person is the same in appeal . No small prints, nothing. Whatever is there on the website is all you get. Moving the goalpost so very often until I am getting bald!!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 5:56 pm

The only problem I have with this is the fact that in the Taiwanese cases you constantly bring up, how many had run-ins with MOM? I think probably none had a record of working on a work permit here prior to application. This is the reason why I have my doubts. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but MS will confirm as I already can (with my nephew's case) gahmen agencies are very vindictive. Wish her luck.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 9:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only problem I have with this is the fact that in the Taiwanese cases you constantly bring up, how many had run-ins with MOM? I think probably none had a record of working on a work permit here prior to application. This is the reason why I have my doubts. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but MS will confirm as I already can (with my nephew's case) gahmen agencies are very vindictive. Wish her luck.
I do agree with you 100% SMS if a crime is committed, or the rules and procedures are not followed then the axe falls heavy.

Though I only come across Singaporeans/Taiwanese and as you point out, they have not had work permits, in fact I'm not sure if they are on the list that qualify for work permits, I doubt it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 4:37 am

To add what you guys said, Indonesian Chinese, Hkgers, Taiwanese and lastly Malaysian Chinese has a better rate of approval. I know it sounds racist but anybody can see that if you are a Chinese, your chances is good, if you are from any of the above better. If you have $$$$ or your parents has it , it will be a shoe in. These are the undenying fact of life in Singapore

mysteryluvfe

Post by mysteryluvfe » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 8:05 pm

Hi, ii need advise . i'm a sporean female and i'm getting engaged with my boyfriend soon. Just happen to pass by and saw rules required for wp holder. My boyfriend is a msian on wp, we both are chinese. Kindly advise if he need to apply for marriage ? We've e-filed our marriage, Is there a need to cancel and wait for his approval of marriage first ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 8:24 pm

mysteryluvfe wrote:Hi, ii need advise . i'm a sporean female and i'm getting engaged with my boyfriend soon. Just happen to pass by and saw rules required for wp holder. My boyfriend is a msian on wp, we both are chinese. Kindly advise if he need to apply for marriage ? We've e-filed our marriage, Is there a need to cancel and wait for his approval of marriage first ?
Most definitely!

Otherwise, you will have to move to Malaysia if you two want to stay together.

mysteryluvfe

Post by mysteryluvfe » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 8:56 pm

oh my gosh !

who shld ii apply from? ica or mom ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 9:01 pm

You need to request permission from MOM to marry. If you don't get permission, you will have endless problems as it's possible he would be banned from entering Singapore. Best thing to do is to go to MOM and request to see an officer and explain that you want to get permission to marry a WP holder.

Of course, if they don't give permission (also a possibility) then you will have to rethink things and decide whether or not you could resettle in Malaysia.