Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 8:35 pm

I smiled at the MOM's inappropriate wording here...
• You cannot get pregnant or deliver a child
in Singapore during the validity of your
Work Permit
unless you are already married
to a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
with the approval of the Controller of
Work Permit. This applies even after your
Work Permit has expired, been cancelled
or revoked.
... To which the obvious answer is: Oh yes you can! - and we've seen the proof of it on this board.

You cannot get pregnant just by holding hands, that's true. You should not get pregnant in the circumstances described above, that's also true.

Maybe we've uncovered the reason for all these 'accidents' - perhaps some people thought that the WP acts as some kind of contraceptive? :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 9:01 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:13 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:- perhaps some people thought that the WP acts as some kind of contraceptive? :twisted:
If inserted properly... :shock: :cool: :shock: :shock:

De_Titus

Post by De_Titus » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 9:44 pm

Hi AngelTan312,

Is it possible for you to share with me which mp you approached for your case? and Whether you have been rejected before you approached mp? Feel free to pm me if you feel its not convenient to disclose publicly .

Many Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:02 pm

Unless you are an Singaporean Citizen, the MP isn't going to help much. Additionally, you would (if you could), have to use the MP in your own constituency.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

angeltan321

Post by angeltan321 » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:45 pm

De_Titus wrote:Hi AngelTan312,

Is it possible for you to share with me which mp you approached for your case? and Whether you have been rejected before you approached mp? Feel free to pm me if you feel its not convenient to disclose publicly .

Many Thanks
hi, I just directly go down and look for the mp that near the punggol plaza after i found out i got pregnant.Just honestly tell them your situation now and they will advice you what to do and also will help you to write a letter to get the permission from mom. After two weeks i received the letter stated that allow me to get married with my husband=)))). After one year plus i applied my pr and also got approved...I think I am quite lucky=)))... Anyway,hope you can solve your problem asap,ur gf is already 4 months pregnant she can't wait anymore. If your gf unable to get married with you your child can't be a sg citizen.

ZDL

Post by ZDL » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 9:24 pm

I had know my girlfriend for 2 years. She was here in January 2011 as a performing artist holding a work permit. But her stay here was short(less than 2 months). she had the permission from her then employer to resign from her job and go back to her country. she got her air ticket and got her passport chop for leaving sg. the thing is that she did not return her wp pass and bring it back with her. but thing is that she called her employer and get the pass mailed it back to her employer.

may i ask whether will that get her into trouble with the mom law as i know that we will need to seek permission from mom for her to marry me. i am worry that it will get rejected.

thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That will be the least of your problem. Dont worry about it.
Hi SMS

this being the least of my problem, what is the main thing i should be worrying about or take note?

thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jul 2013 9:32 pm

Not getting permission.

loso

Post by loso » Tue, 06 Aug 2013 4:14 pm

Hi all

Can anyone advice me what is the email address to ICA controller?

ww8628877

Post by ww8628877 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 4:03 pm

hi all,

please advise me.

I registered marriage with my wife almost two years ago at embassy of China in Singapore, but i did not know "approval of the controller" until now. I am PR, my wife is holding work permit. At that time the officer didn't tell us about this rule.

I am really scare. What am I suppose to do.

Help~~~

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 4:34 pm

I don't believe if affects you as you are not a Singaporean. Only Singaporeans need to get permission to marry their intended foreign WP spouse (male or female as the case may be).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 5:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't believe if affects you as you are not a Singaporean. Only Singaporeans need to get permission to marry their intended foreign WP spouse (male or female as the case may be).
Singapore PRs are also required to have their would-be WP spouses to seek permission from MOM.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... itions.pdf

ww8628877

Post by ww8628877 » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 5:10 pm

Hi SMS and lynx

Thanks for quick reply. Since I already married with my wife without approval of the controller, what should I do? If I tell MOM my situation, will MOM cancel my wife's work permit and ban her to enter singapore?

I really did not know at that time... Is there any way to make up?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 5:15 pm

ww8628877 wrote:Hi SMS and lynx

Thanks for quick reply. Since I already married with my wife without approval of the controller, what should I do? If I tell MOM my situation, will MOM cancel my wife's work permit and ban her to enter singapore?

I really did not know at that time... Is there any way to make up?
Your best bet is to call MOM and explain the situation and ask for their advice. Let them know that you have no idea about this rule (which is a bad excuse, really). Maybe they will have her deported and banned, maybe they won't. No one knows but it is your responsibility to try make right of this.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:12 pm

I don't know what will happen, but I can tell you that claiming ignorance will be of no excuse as it's written in the WP application that she signed. Therefore, claiming ignorance would just be MORE reason not to allow marriage to a local/PR, if for no other reason that to protect locals/PRs.