Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 4:06 am

DarwinLim wrote:Will be meeting up with MP next tues, any updates will share here,
thanks!!
Why exactly are you meeting an (your?) MP?
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 6:53 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
DarwinLim wrote:Will be meeting up with MP next tues, any updates will share here,
thanks!!
Why exactly are you meeting an (your?) MP?
In the mistaken belief that the MP can write a letter to ICA to tell them to approve of the union. Sadly, it's a known fact that all the letters in the world, especially those via the MPS sessions held at the CCs monthly (MPS= Meet the People Session) fall on deaf ears, even those written by the PM in AMK (for another citizen I know - who now lives in the PRC with his wife-been there for 2 years already). As a member of an RC, we pretty much know how it goes. ICA has their own rulebook.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DarwinLim

Post by DarwinLim » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Amigo,

It is in hope that my MP will write a letter to MOM, to fight for my case regarding approval to get married.

Hi SMS,

Thanks, I too can only hope that he can help,
I got no trump card, just that both the MP and me has the same surname.
And that I need to have alot of faith for this to work.

Anyways just to update, met the MP today, he was helpful and willing, but only 1 min was allocated privately. Will have the results 3 weeks to 1 month later.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:44 pm

DarwinLim wrote:Hmmm, not sure if the info on pregnancy will negatively affect the results of the application, but nonetheless, thanks for your suggestion.

You are right, better not play with fire, esp gov related.
Your income is much more relevant than letters from an MP. How much per month? Pregnancy just means your income requirement is raised that much higher.

DarwinLim

Post by DarwinLim » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Zzm,

Im currently earning $2,400 currently, for my full time job, and also another 2-3k from 2 other part time jobs. total is about 4-5k/month.
Hopefully will be enough, strangely though the MP did not ask for any income slip/cpf statement as supporting docs. (only thing he asked for is my IC, and my partner's)

devilflames08

Post by devilflames08 » Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:06 am

Hi All,

Would like some advise here.

I am an ex-WP. got revoked for stupid reasons. on-going for appeal.
My fiancé is Singaporean. been together for 7 years now.
Currently staying in SG with a social visitor pass.

Just want to ask some question.

1) If go for test and found out pregnant, it is too late for asking permission from MOM for ROM in SG? (although i got the letter that stating i don't need permission for marrying and need not to marry SC or SPR, lost the letter thou)

2) What are the chances for me to have my child to be born in SG?

3) What is the chances for me to stay in SG as the mother of the child?

4) If we had ROM in Msia but not in SG, it doesn't so called breach the law saying tat i'm pregnant without SG ROM right?

5) What is the chances of my kid can stay with the dad but i will be ban to enter SG? i read some of the 2010 post that the ban from SG is from 5-7 years. is there any chances on the period?

Please assist me here. i really dun wanna go for abortion.

vjtvjt

Post by vjtvjt » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 6:05 am

devilflames08 wrote:Hi All,

Would like some advise here.

I am an ex-WP. got revoked for stupid reasons. on-going for appeal.
My fiancé is Singaporean. been together for 7 years now.
Currently staying in Singapore with a social visitor pass.

Just want to ask some question.

1) If go for test and found out pregnant, it is too late for asking permission from MOM for ROM in Singapore? (although i got the letter that stating i don't need permission for marrying and need not to marry Singapore Citizenship or SPR, lost the letter thou)

2) What are the chances for me to have my child to be born in Singapore?

3) What is the chances for me to stay in Singapore as the mother of the child?

4) If we had ROM in Msia but not in Singapore, it doesn't so called breach the law saying tat i'm pregnant without Singapore ROM right?

5) What is the chances of my kid can stay with the dad but i will be ban to enter Singapore? i read some of the 2010 post that the ban from Singapore is from 5-7 years. is there any chances on the period?

Please assist me here. i really dun wanna go for abortion.
I do not know what to answer on the other questions, but I will answer question #2. Actually, the baby can be born here, but it is not an assurance that the baby will be automatically be a Singapore citizen. But, if the father is a Singaporean, then there is a big chance that the kid maybe granted sg citizenship (only if he applies for it).

For #3, if you are on social visit pass, then you can visit singapore and just use up the allotted number of days you can stay here to tender with your family. This is a very expensive option so you might need to consider applying for PR.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 5:11 pm

vjtvjt wrote:I do not know what to answer on the other questions, but I will answer question #2. Actually, the baby can be born here, but it is not an assurance that the baby will be automatically be a Singapore citizen. But, if the father is a Singaporean, then there is a big chance that the kid maybe granted Singapore citizenship (only if he applies for it).

For #3, if you are on social visit pass, then you can visit singapore and just use up the allotted number of days you can stay here to tender with your family. This is a very expensive option so you might need to consider applying for PR.
Wrong information here, I am afraid:
A child of a Singapore citizen, if born in Singapore, is automatically (and irrevocably until adulthood) Singapore citizen. No application is needed and citizenship will be stated on the birth certificate.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 9:43 pm

devilflames08 wrote:1) If go for test and found out pregnant, it is too late for asking permission from MOM for ROM in Singapore? (although i got the letter that stating i don't need permission for marrying and need not to marry Singapore Citizenship or SPR, lost the letter thou)

2) What are the chances for me to have my child to be born in Singapore?

3) What is the chances for me to stay in Singapore as the mother of the child?

4) If we had ROM in Msia but not in Singapore, it doesn't so called breach the law saying tat i'm pregnant without Singapore ROM right?

5) What is the chances of my kid can stay with the dad but i will be ban to enter Singapore? i read some of the 2010 post that the ban from Singapore is from 5-7 years. is there any chances on the period?
i'm no pro, just answering you from what i know. i could be wrong, so... take away what you will.

1. not all pregnancies end in child birth at week 40. some people give birth earlier, some later. there is no way for anyone, including doctors, to accurately give an exact age to the fetus... only a rough estimate... usually based on dates/information the mother provides.

2. if you have the money (hospital bills, immigration sureties, etc) and you are able to get a visa to stay in singapore to give birth (eg, no ICA ban), i don't see why not. singapore welcomes medical tourism, including births.

3. hmmm. i'm not sure how this would work for a new born. if your non-singporean child was enrolled in a school on a student pass, you (the non-singaporean mother) would be eligible for an LTVP (study mom visa). i don't think a singaporean child can "sponsor" a non-singaporean parent... i don't know enough to comment on this. search the forum?

4. singapore recognizes a marriage that has taken place overseas. ie, if two persons, residing in singapore, got married in the USA, the singapore government acknowledges their marriage without having to go through another "appointment" at ROM. as for how this affects a WP/ex-WP holder, i'm not sure - have you searched this forum for more info?

5. if the child is not a singaporean, he would be allowed to stay in singapore if he is able to obtain the required visa. if he's a singaporean, he does not need any special visa to reside here - the father would of course have to agree to be responsible for the child...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Confusedgal

Re: Married a Work Permit Holder

Post by Confusedgal » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 9:04 am

GOOD DAY... I AM AN EX WP HOLDER IVE WORKED FOR 6 MONTHS AND CANCELLED MY CONTRACT LAST YEAR, THEN I GO BACK SG APRIL AS A TOURIST TOGETHER WITH MY SINGAPOREAN BF STAY HERE FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS.. GO BK IN MY COUNTRY AND STAY FOR A WHILE..THEN LAST OCT. 15 TOGETHER AGAIN WITH MY BF WE ARRIVED HEREIN SINGAPORE THISTIME WE ARE PLANNING TO GET MARRIED.. WE WENT TO MOM COS WE KNOW THATWE HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FIRST BEFORE WE CAN PUSH THROUGH OUR PLANS.. NOWMY BIG QUES TION IS : IF MY PERMISSION TO MARRY A SINGAPOREAN GETS REJECTED, AND I NEED TO GO BACK HOME BECOS OF MY VISA IS EXPIRING ALREADY WILL I BE BANNED FROM ENTERING SINGPORE AGAIN OR NOT? PLS CAN ANYONE HERE HELP US..THANK U IN ADV. b]

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:19 am

Confusedgal wrote:GOOD DAY... I AM AN EX WP HOLDER IVE WORKED FOR 6 MONTHS AND CANCELLED MY CONTRACT LAST YEAR, THEN I GO BACK SG APRIL AS A TOURIST TOGETHER WITH MY SINGAPOREAN BF STAY HERE FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS.. GO BK IN MY COUNTRY AND STAY FOR A WHILE..THEN LAST OCT. 15 TOGETHER AGAIN WITH MY BF WE ARRIVED HEREIN SINGAPORE THISTIME WE ARE PLANNING TO GET MARRIED.. WE WENT TO MOM COS WE KNOW THATWE HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FIRST BEFORE WE CAN PUSH THROUGH OUR PLANS.. NOWMY BIG QUES TION IS : IF MY PERMISSION TO MARRY A SINGAPOREAN GETS REJECTED, AND I NEED TO GO BACK HOME BECOS OF MY VISA IS EXPIRING ALREADY WILL I BE BANNED FROM ENTERING SINGPORE AGAIN OR NOT? PLS CAN ANYONE HERE HELP US..THANK U IN ADV. b]

Is your keyboard "CAPS Lock" faulty?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:23 am

Confusedgal wrote:GOOD DAY... I AM AN EX WP HOLDER IVE WORKED FOR 6 MONTHS AND CANCELLED MY CONTRACT LAST YEAR, THEN I GO BACK SG APRIL AS A TOURIST TOGETHER WITH MY SINGAPOREAN BF STAY HERE FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS.. GO BK IN MY COUNTRY AND STAY FOR A WHILE..THEN LAST OCT. 15 TOGETHER AGAIN WITH MY BF WE ARRIVED HEREIN SINGAPORE THISTIME WE ARE PLANNING TO GET MARRIED.. WE WENT TO MOM COS WE KNOW THATWE HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FIRST BEFORE WE CAN PUSH THROUGH OUR PLANS.. NOWMY BIG QUES TION IS : IF MY PERMISSION TO MARRY A SINGAPOREAN GETS REJECTED, AND I NEED TO GO BACK HOME BECOS OF MY VISA IS EXPIRING ALREADY WILL I BE BANNED FROM ENTERING SINGPORE AGAIN OR NOT? PLS CAN ANYONE HERE HELP US..THANK U IN ADV. b]

Very good possibility of exactly that happening. My Nephew got married and his wife was a former WP holder but not at the time they got married. She was given a one year LTVP as she was pregnant and the baby was born here (they were married in the 'peens) as as the father is a SC the baby was given Singaporean citizenship. However, up expiration of the LTVP is was not renewed and the mother was sent back to the 'peens where she has had to remain till today (now 6 years since she has gone back and not allowed to return. Disobey MOM and pay the penalty. The gahment here is very unforgiving. Sad but true.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:26 am

therat wrote:
Is your keyboard "CAPS Lock" faulty?

Note the mangled BBCode markup for boldface.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 2:43 pm

Something to ponder ..

http://tinyurl.com/mvppt3j

Jobless dad faces despair over child's care

He did not know he had to check with the Manpower Ministry before marrying a Chinese national, a former Singapore work-permit holder. He did not know he faced fraud charges until he returned from China. Now he does not know who is going to care for his 10-month-old baby boy. Life for Mr Y. C. Chen, 27, and his Chinese wife began to unravel when they returned to Singapore in July to seek a better life for their son. His wife, Ms Li Qiaoyan, 22, applied for a long-term visit pass so she would not have to keep renewing her short-term visit pass. .....

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 4:00 pm

Confusedgal wrote:I AM AN EX WP HOLDER IVE WORKED FOR 6 MONTHS...

NOWMY BIG QUES TION IS : IF MY PERMISSION TO MARRY A SINGAPOREAN GETS REJECTED, AND I NEED TO GO BACK HOME BECOS OF MY VISA IS EXPIRING ALREADY WILL I BE BANNED FROM ENTERING SINGPORE AGAIN OR NOT? PLS CAN ANYONE HERE HELP US..
if you have not infringed on any conditions imposed on you through your visit pass/work permit, why would you be banned?

have you been banned before? it reads like you have...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam