Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Del_piero

Post by Del_piero » Tue, 20 Aug 2013 6:12 pm

De_Titus wrote:Hi AngelTan312,

Is it possible for you to share with me which mp you approached for your case? and Whether you have been rejected before you approached mp? Feel free to pm me if you feel its not convenient to disclose publicly .

Many Thanks
Hi De_Titus,

I'm in the same situation as you. How did your case go about now? You may pm me if it is more comfortable for you.

tzjraymond

Post by tzjraymond » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 6:47 pm

there arent really any guidelines for the marriage approval. you just have to request for the application form, submit it and if you are being rejected, call back mom and insist to speak to the officer in charge.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 8:35 am

Once again, folks, just a gentle reminder that approval of WP holder marriage to SC/SPR is NOT an entitlement.

michelparcon

marry a work permit holder

Post by michelparcon » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:19 am

I Badly need advice as i and my bf is planning to get married. As everything is complicated.
#My BF is a 7 years PR from Bangladesh. 3k+ monthly salary
#Me Domestic Helper for 5 years. College Degree @ Philippine School. As im Planning to change my Career. I took short courses at NTUC Learning HUB and pas Online Exams. and collected few certificates.

Questions
1. Should i go back home first and cancel my work permit before we send our application at MOM?
2. Does anyone knows our chances to get an approval from MOM?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: marry a work permit holder

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:45 am

michelparcon wrote:I Badly need advice as i and my bf is planning to get married. As everything is complicated.
#My BF is a 7 years PR from Bangladesh. 3k+ monthly salary
#Me Domestic Helper for 5 years. College Degree @ Philippine School. As im Planning to change my Career. I took short courses at NTUC Learning HUB and pas Online Exams. and collected few certificates.

Questions
1. Should i go back home first and cancel my work permit before we send our application at MOM?

Not necessary. Whether or not it makes a difference, I don't know. Personally I think it would be better if your WP is cancelled and you went back home. But if you think about it, it would be easier for the MOM to reject if you were not in Singapore. Toss a coin. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... ocess.aspx

2. Does anyone knows our chances to get an approval from MOM?

No idea.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

michelparcon

Post by michelparcon » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:34 pm

hi sundaymorningstaple,

Tnx for ur opinion.. Sounds right. I guess the best way is i should upgrade my permit first like spass or epass. For that i need a Professional job off-course. Good luck to me then. it will be a long way to go and improvement to make.
Though it takes time, its better to be sure rather than rejected. :???:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: marry a work permit holder

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:48 pm

michelparcon wrote:hi sundaymorningstaple,

Tnx for ur opinion.. Sounds right. I guess the best way is i should upgrade my permit first like spass or epass. For that i need a Professional job off-course. Good luck to me then. it will be a long way to go and improvement to make.
Though it takes time, its better to be sure rather than rejected. :???:
Is your husband really a Singapore PR? Perhaps consider leaving your job as a FDW, get married (wherever) and then have him apply for an LTVP for you (if his salary is high enough). Once you are back on an LTVP you can then look for an S Pass type job. Nothing is guaranteed.

michelparcon

Post by michelparcon » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:59 pm

Is your husband really a Singapore PR? Perhaps consider leaving your job as a FDW, get married (wherever) and then have him apply for an LTVP for you (if his salary is high enough). Once you are back on an LTVP you can then look for an S Pass type job. Nothing is guaranteed.

LTVP needs renewal. and no guarantee for approval. Breaking the Law i don't think will b a good idea. Highest possibility is being BAN to enter Singapore.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 8:41 am

Doesn't matter if you cancel WP or not. ALL WP HOLDERS AND EX-WP HOLDERS need to seek permission from MOM.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 9:44 am

the lynx wrote:Doesn't matter if you cancel WP or not. ALL WP HOLDERS AND EX-WP HOLDERS need to seek permission from MOM.
Unless they had been upgraded to an S pass or EP BEFORE applying for permission. I was formerly under the impression that if they had "ever" been on a WP but apparently not entirely correct if a subsequent S/EP has been obtained.
All foreigners need to apply to the Ministry of Manpower for approval to marry a Singapore Citizen or SPR if they:

Are currently holding Work Permits (including Long-Term Visit Pass holders); or
Have previously held Work Permits.

The following groups of foreigners need not apply for marriage approval:

All current non-Work Permit holders (e.g. S Pass and Employment Pass holders); and
Former Work Permit holders whose last held work passes were upgraded to Employment Pass or S Pass.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

michelparcon

Post by michelparcon » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 7:07 pm

michelparcon wrote:The following groups of foreigners need not apply for marriage approval:

All current non-Work Permit holders (e.g. S Pass and Employment Pass holders); and
Former Work Permit holders whose last held work passes were upgraded to Employment Pass or S Pass.
[/quote]

:D Upgrading at least to Spass will be the best way i should do... now next step will be finding out the requirements and process on upgrading my WP. Tnx so much for this forum that really helps by sharing ideas..[/quote]

And i was really planning to go back home and come back as tourist for me to get a chance to apply a professional job. But so scared for immigration wont let me in as tourist since i have a record working as Domestic Worker. :?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 7:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
All foreigners need to apply to the Ministry of Manpower for approval to marry a Singapore Citizen or SPR if they:

Are currently holding Work Permits (including Long-Term Visit Pass holders); or Have previously held Work Permits.
Am I still sleeping or there is something wrong in the above sentence?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:44 am

I think they are referring to Peidu mamas who are here on a LTVP for the first year before they are allowed to work on a WP or other pass if they can qualify. But yeah, it's doesn't sound right the way it is written.

Johnnytan

Need Advice Urgently

Post by Johnnytan » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 2:59 pm

Dear Sir / Madam,

MOM has given the consent for us to get married . My problem is that my prospective wife (ex WP) is flying to Singapore on 12.11.2013 . The earliest ROM date that we booked is on 28.01.2014. From what I saw on the internet , we can ask for extension of the SVP for 89 days from the date of entry . This means that the last day of the 89 days visa extension is on 27.01.2014 . How am I going to ROM ?

What must I do? Can I apply for LTVP , but if this need the ROM certificate as a requirement first , then I am in BIG trouble . Should I see the ICA Officer or MP for help.

Please advise me .Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Need Advice Urgently

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 3:17 pm

Johnnytan wrote:Dear Sir / Madam,

MOM has given the consent for us to get married . My problem is that my prospective wife (ex WP) is flying to Singapore on 12.11.2013 . The earliest ROM date that we booked is on 28.01.2014. From what I saw on the internet , we can ask for extension of the SVP for 89 days from the date of entry . This means that the last day of the 89 days visa extension is on 27.01.2014 . How am I going to ROM ?

What must I do? Can I apply for LTVP , but if this need the ROM certificate as a requirement first , then I am in BIG trouble . Should I see the ICA Officer or MP for help.

Please advise me .Thanks
Simple, have her arrival closer to the ROM date. There is nothing she can do in Singapore legally anyway, short of being a tourist, therefore just cancel and rebook the travel plans to a date closer to the ROM date. :-k #-o