Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 4:39 am

Have you tried calling them or go and see MOM personally.

If she is found pregnant with your child w/o getting permission from them
, she can kiss goodbye on her WP. When the time comes for medical check and she found to be pregnant , the GP is required to report this to MOM.
If she does not want to go for medical check up, it will bite her when the time comes for renewal.
You need to get a written letter for that effect.
Thread this carefully as there are many pitfalls
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

viewer

Post by viewer » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 4:58 am

I have already sent an email detailing our situation to here.

I have known her for 3 years. There was never any pregnancy issues at all. She is not pregnant now. In fact, we have never even stayed together, given our staunch values of propriety. We really are just a normal couple in love, hoping for a normal married life replete with proper planning of finances, careers, and possibly kids.

She really is wholesome, to put a long story short (my email to MOM is definitely quite complete).

There have never been any issues with violating any laws in Singapore, be they immigration laws, criminal laws, civil laws, or any others. That goes for the both of us. We really are just a normal couple-next-door.

I just got to know about the need for her to obtain MOM's approval before marriage to me (a Singaporean male). This sucks, even makes me wish I wasn't Singaporean. I haven't told her yet. I'm scared that MOM wouldn't approve. I'm just scared and getting jitters, because, really, we haven't done anything wrong at all. She is anticipating my proposal by next month. We're so happy. I'm so afraid the MOM issue will get between us.

Please. Somebody. Help us. Is there anyone from MOM here? Someone we can talk to? We really just want a normal life. For our end of the deal, we have served Singapore normally, without ever getting into any trouble at all.
Mad Scientist wrote:Have you tried calling them or go and see MOM personally.

If she is found pregnant with your child w/o getting permission from them
, she can kiss goodbye on her WP. When the time comes for medical check and she found to be pregnant , the GP is required to report this to MOM.
If she does not want to go for medical check up, it will bite her when the time comes for renewal.
You need to get a written letter for that effect.
Thread this carefully as there are many pitfalls

viewer

Post by viewer » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 5:32 am

viewer wrote:I have already sent an email detailing our situation to here.
I sent the email to MOM last night (10pm). It is now 5:20am.

I'm going to MOM personally to ask about this. But I am unsure if I have the right to ask on her behalf (without her knowing it, no less!). I would prefer not to tell her about it yet, because I don't want her to worry. This need to obtain MOM's approval really ruins the "surprise" factor in my planned proposal next month.

Will somebody please tell me the following?

1. Will she lose her work permit if MOM refuses to let her marry me?
2. What factors determine the chances of MOM's approval?
3. Anybody knows about Malaysian immigration laws, in case I need to go there with her?

I'm so tired now, slept at 2am because some needy friend called to talk about so many things. What a coincidence. But I love her (not this needy friend), and I will go through MOM no matter how tired I am.

Please, heaven, please. Let MOM grant us permission to marry. I'll be with her no matter where we have to go.

Lastly, will somebody call me to warn me before I get to MOM? In case I should not contact MOM now, for whatever reasons. Will the moderator please delete this number after 9am later? Thanks.
Last edited by viewer on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 7:05 am

viewer wrote:
I'm going to MOM personally to ask about this. But I am unsure if I have the right to ask on her behalf (without her knowing it, no less!). I would prefer not to tell her about it yet, because I don't want her to worry. This need to obtain MOM's approval really ruins the "surprise" factor in my planned proposal next month.

Well, what do you know, love is blind and really is suck when the Gahmen comes in between two love birds but there are reasons behind these as you are aware of as this ruling has been enacted before you are born.You need her Work Permit Number to see MOM
There is no two way around this. It is best both of you go and see MOM to show sincerity. At least if you are denied, she knows that you love her and will migrate to M'sia for better or for worse till death do comes you apart.It is good for you to make sure all of this is done properly
Not to complicate matters and I am not from MOM, however SMS might be able to help you more.I will throw my 2 cents here

SMS your thoughts please.........

Will somebody please tell me the following?

Yes, most definitely if she goes ahead and get married. Ban for years to come to enter or live in SG
2. What factors determine the chances of MOM's approval?
No one really knows , just make sure you ask their permission prior to getting married
3. Anybody knows about Malaysian immigration laws, in case I need to go there with her?
That I can help you. Let me know what do you want to know

I'm so tired now, slept at 2am because some needy friend called to talk about so many things. What a coincidence. But I love her (not this needy friend), and I will go through MOM no matter how tired I am.

Dump that guy , your gf is more important

Please, heaven, please. Let MOM grant us permission to marry. I'll be with her no matter where we have to go.

Nothing to do with heaven or hell , just human following orders

Lastly, will somebody call me to warn me before I get to MOM? In case I should not contact MOM now, for whatever reasons. 96387450. Will the moderator please delete this number after 9am later? Thanks.

Good Luck may the force be with you
I edited this as it was not explicit enough to others
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

alanloke23

Post by alanloke23 » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 7:50 pm

has anyone had a positive experience with marrying a work permit holder thus far?

alanloke23

Post by alanloke23 » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 7:53 pm

Yes, most definitely. Ban for years to come to enter or live in SG

bro pertaining to this question. i called MOM today and ask 2 different person but they told me the same thing. The work permit holder's work permit will not be affected or revoked/ban if the application for marriage is unsuccessful.

Care to share more about this question anyone?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:02 pm

alanloke23 wrote:1. Will she lose her work permit if MOM refuses to let her marry me?

bro pertaining to this question. i called MOM today and ask 2 different person but they told me the same thing. The work permit holder's work permit will not be affected or revoked/ban if the application for marriage is unsuccessful.

This is true. She will NOT lose her work permit UNLESS she gets married in spite of not having MOM approval. That is a different story.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alanloke23

Post by alanloke23 » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
alanloke23 wrote:1. Will she lose her work permit if MOM refuses to let her marry me?

This is true. She will NOT lose her work permit UNLESS she gets married in spite of not having MOM approval. That is a different story.
Appreciate your help thank you very much

aHLe

Post by aHLe » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 5:13 pm

Was actually sourcing for information through google and end up here. Great forum with lots of helpful information.

Currently in a similar situation. Gf on WP work in SG for a short period of time. I've personally contacted MOM and they have mail a form to my residential to fill it up.

I have 1 question though.

Assuming MOM approves the marriage, the approval is permanent or only valid for a period of time? Would appreciate if someone has the answer.. Thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 5:55 pm

What do you mean by a period of time? 1 week, or several years? Way I see it is either you want to get married or you don't.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aHLe

Post by aHLe » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 6:32 pm

Eh, what I meant is I'm just afraid that if I apply now and assume it went through but due to circumstances (applying visa, SVP etc) did not go through that successfully.. Do I still have time to hold on to the approval or do I need to reapply again?

Hence, would like to find out if the approval is permanent or only for a period of time..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 4:35 am

aHLe wrote:Eh, what I meant is I'm just afraid that if I apply now and assume it went through but due to circumstances (applying visa, SVP etc) did not go through that successfully.. Do I still have time to hold on to the approval or do I need to reapply again?

Hence, would like to find out if the approval is permanent or only for a period of time..
You get the approval first then you get married. Which part of MOM instruction you do not understand?
Once approve and you go to SG ROM. After that get LTSVP for your spouse.85% of application is approved if you intend to live and set your roots here. You as hubby must show earning stable income, saving , own a HDB house.
EVen for some reason you cannot get LTSVP for wife, you can get 6 months Social Visa i.e renewable until you get your LTSVP The only snag is she CANNOT work while on this short 6 months Social Visa.
You can only be denied living here if you did not get approval first or she got pregnant b4 approval while on WP
Approval letter standard validity is One Year but for some circumstance beyond your wildest dream you need it longer, get it in writing with MOM.
One thing I have to remind you, do not toy with MOM or you can get yourself burn

aHLe

Post by aHLe » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 1:44 pm

Cool.. thanks for the kind advise.. Now I get a better idea.. Appreciate it!

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular

Post by serve_the_servants » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 4:47 am

In case you marry your gf, an ex-wp holder (without permission) where the husband is a foreigner not working in Singapore at all, will it be a problem to become a PR for the husband? (he moves to Singapore on EP first) Since he married an ex-wp holder but is no PR / Singaporean (yet)?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 4:57 am

serve_the_servants wrote:In case you marry your gf, an ex-wp holder (without permission) where the husband is a foreigner not working in Singapore at all, will it be a problem to become a PR for the husband? (he moves to Singapore on EP first) Since he married an ex-wp holder but is no PR / Singaporean (yet)?
Yes it will. Get the permission from MOM first to be safe