Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Johnnytan

Thanks

Post by Johnnytan » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks sundaymorningstaple.I have changed the flight to late December . Her entry visa is valid from 08th Nov 2013 to 10th Jan 2014 .This is entry visa .Upon arrival the ICA officer will decide on the duration of her stay .This mean that i have to apply for the SVP extension up to 89 days starting from entry date .ROM on 28 Jan 2014 , only then i can start to apply for her LTVP .My annual income is around 90k plus .Monthly 6k plus - basic pay.Education , post graduate and a professional .Hope that this will let ICA approve her LTVP and later her PR . Please advise that I am doing the steps correctly.Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:53 pm

Sounds a little better. Your particulars shouldn't pose any problems with either getting the extension when needed or sponsorship for her LTVP after you ROM. Should be okay.

Oh, and congratulations. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Johnnytan

Post by Johnnytan » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:39 am

Hi sundaymorningstaple , apologies to seek your help once again. Do we need to ROM first in order to apply for the 89 days SVP extension ? Our ROM date is on 28th Jan 2014 and my spouse to be is flying to Singapore on 26th Dec 2013. Once she is here , I will immediately extend her visa to 89 days , then ROM. After ROM , will apply LTVP for her and after six months , apply PR for her.
I have checked , LTVP & PR , ROM certificate is required but no mention on SVP.
Someone had written in this forum that only after ROM then you can apply for the 89 days extension.I need some advise on this point.

I will also like to thank and express my profound appreciation for you as I have read through all the threads and you are of those kind people who has helped so many peoples like us going through this difficult and anxious phase of our lives.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 1:07 pm

Why don't you be on the safe side and not have her fly to Singapore until two weeks before the ROM date. That way, you will still have ample time to apply for the LTVP after the ROM in order to apply for the LTVP. If you let her come on the 26th of Dec and she needs to be ROM'd before the applying for the LTVP, you are going to possibly be in a bind and she might have to leave the country before it's issued. To me, it would make more sense to split the difference. I know you have timing issues for weddings but it's a situation where you could have to be flying her out just to fly her back in again. Not ideal. If you have checked with regarding LTVP & PR, I'm pretty sure it would be the same.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calkch

Post by calkch » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 8:38 am

Hi I would like to seek some advice as well. I'm a SC and my fiancee is a WP holder who had worked in SG for over 4 years.

Basically my fiancee and I had already got the approval to get married from MOM as well as set the date for ROM.

Now we're wondering how this will goes after marriage. She's a wp holder now, do we need to apply for a ltvp for her with the hope that she will be considered for a ltvp+ as she's already working in singapore. She's thinking of changing job, thus how should we go about doing this?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:28 pm

As long as she is working on an employment pass, do not do anything. Even if she gets the LTVP, she will lose it when she joins a new employer. She cannot work here without the employment pass. You haven't been married long enough for her to get an LTVP+ and have her work on a Letter of Consent. She cannot work on a standard LTVP so if she moves from her old job to a new employer, she should ensure she gets the IPA from MOM for her new pass before resigning from her old job, else, she will have to get an LTVP once her SVP, that is given when her old pass is canceled, runs out. Once she gets a new job, the LTVP will again be canceled and she will be issued with a new WP or S/EP as the case may be.

calkch

Post by calkch » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 4:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As long as she is working on an employment pass, do not do anything. Even if she gets the LTVP, she will lose it when she joins a new employer. She cannot work here without the employment pass. You haven't been married long enough for her to get an LTVP+ and have her work on a Letter of Consent. She cannot work on a standard LTVP so if she moves from her old job to a new employer, she should ensure she gets the IPA from MOM for her new pass before resigning from her old job, else, she will have to get an LTVP once her SVP, that is given when her old pass is canceled, runs out. Once she gets a new job, the LTVP will again be canceled and she will be issued with a new WP or S/EP as the case may be.
But she's a WP holder not a EP holder. Meaning to say we shouldn't do anything as long as her WP is valid is that right. And that if she wants to change job, she need to ensure that she gets a new WP from MOM via her new employer before resigning is that correct.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 9:03 am

calkch wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As long as she is working on an employment pass, do not do anything. Even if she gets the LTVP, she will lose it when she joins a new employer. She cannot work here without the employment pass. You haven't been married long enough for her to get an LTVP+ and have her work on a Letter of Consent. She cannot work on a standard LTVP so if she moves from her old job to a new employer, she should ensure she gets the IPA from MOM for her new pass before resigning from her old job, else, she will have to get an LTVP once her SVP, that is given when her old pass is canceled, runs out. Once she gets a new job, the LTVP will again be canceled and she will be issued with a new WP or S/EP as the case may be.
But she's a WP holder not a EP holder. Meaning to say we shouldn't do anything as long as her WP is valid is that right. And that if she wants to change job, she need to ensure that she gets a new WP from MOM via her new employer before resigning is that correct.
Yes, you have read that correctly.

Thrael

Post by Thrael » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 2:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A tourist visa is not a work permit.

However, if you come here on a tourist visa but had been here in the past on a work permit you would still need permission.

Oh yeah, one other thing.....

If you come here on a tourist visa and marry a citizen here, you will have to sign a statement stating that your marriage will not automatically guarantee you the right of Permanent Residency. I know this for a first hand fact!
I hope I'm not asking you too many questions (in multiple threads no less)... Is it possible to 1) get married on a tourist visa and then 2) get a student pass?

Apparently we can't get married if le boyfriend is on a student pass. :-| We've been together 6 years and the current clampdown on foreigners is making it quite hard to build a future if he's in China and I'm here.

youyayu88

Post by youyayu88 » Sun, 12 Jan 2014 7:04 pm

Hi all, I'm facing the same problem as de_tidus

Profile of myself and my work permit msian gf
Me:
Singapore Citizen
Highest education: Diploma
Salary: 2.1k before cpf, perm staff

GF:
WP for over 5 years
Msian
Highest education: Msia SPM(Similar to our 'O's)
Salary: 2.2k before commision

Just found out our baby is 6 weeks old and in a dilemma now after reading all the consequences. Have discussed with our parents and honestly we have consider having an abortion and try for another one after we get permission to ROM after my pay increase in a few years time and she gotten an S Pass.

We know is cruel but is risking being banned from SG worth the application? Since we know WP can't be pregnant and the chances of ROM application success rate is slim with low income from what I've read. Will looking for MP helped at all? I'm really lost now.

Hoping to get some advise before we come to a conclusion, really appreciate all your time.

Lexus79

Post by Lexus79 » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 3:46 pm

Good day All,

I am writing in to seek advice on my situation. My gf is a PRC whom had ever held a performance artist WP in about 2008/09 (currently she is on accounting clerk WP). She is not pregnant, we did not register for marriage inside or outside SG.

We intend to submit the marriage application to MOM, need some advices on what are our chances on the marriage application?

Both us of us feared the below #1 clause. We went to seek advice from the officer at MOM personally, but they refused to reveal anything. In short, "Approved , WP will not be affected. If rejected, WP may be affected". Nothing else can be obtained from the MOM officer.

1. there is a clause in the application, thats says
"2. I am aware that if my marriage application to contract marriage with a Singapore Citizen/Singapore Permanent Resident is rejected, the rejection will be taken into account in any future application for, or renewal of, a Work Permit"
Does that mean that this application will affect her future WP or S pass application if our application is rejected?

2. Currently I had just set up my very own company for less than a year, but drawing only director's fee (which means not contributing to CPF but taxable). Previously, I had a stable job (about $3,000 per month before CPF deduction.) I own a house (still paying housing loan).

3. My gf is a divorcee, the custody of the child is given to the ex husband.

Greatly appreciate if any kind soul can give us some advice.

DarwinLim

Need advice

Post by DarwinLim » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 3:48 pm

Hi guys,

In the Marriage application form to MOM, MUST I really declare that my gf really is pregnant, even though she is?

In addition, would it help to declare the truth, or NOT.

I have not seen the MP yet, most prob next tues.
But am planning to Isubmit (online submission) the application today, thus appreciate any kind response to the above as to whether to be truthful in the declaration section on pregnancy.

Consolidated by moderator - we don't like useless one liners just to increase post counts.

DarwinLim

Post by DarwinLim » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks so much Angela, for the kind advice.
Do not have access/rights to thank you personally thru PM, thus putting here.(Due to insufficient post counts)

Hi Guys,

Will be meeting up with MP next tues, any updates will share here,
thanks!!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Need advice

Post by taxico » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 5:00 pm

DarwinLim wrote:...In the Marriage application form to MOM, MUST I really declare that my gf really is pregnant, even though she is?

In addition, would it help to declare the truth, or NOT.

I have not seen the MP yet, most prob next tues.
But am planning to Isubmit (online submission) the application today, thus appreciate any kind response to the above as to whether to be truthful in the declaration section on pregnancy...
i believe it's an offense to lie on government forms (ie. statutory declaration).

sure, a pregnancy may be easily covered up... but what's the purpose of concealing the pregnancy? i can't see any good being done.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

DarwinLim

Post by DarwinLim » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 5:37 pm

Hmmm, not sure if the info on pregnancy will negatively affect the results of the application, but nonetheless, thanks for your suggestion.

You are right, better not play with fire, esp gov related.