Singapore Expats

Looking for opinions on the Japanese school

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Okyakusan

Looking for opinions on the Japanese school

Post by Okyakusan » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:51 am

We are moving to Singapore from Japan and want our children to continue in the Japanese educational system. We were wondering what the reputation of the school is and how the two campuses (Clementi and Changi) differ, besides of course location. Does anyone reading this board send their children to the Japanese school? or perhaps have a friend/neighbor/colleague who does, or has heard talk about it in some other way? Any experience or views that you could share would be appreciated. Thank you.

yuks
Regular
Regular

Post by yuks » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 5:44 pm

Don't think many Japanese people check out this site - from what I know of anyway. Similar questions have been raised at www.mangosteen.com.sg which is the japanese expat site otherwise you could try www.expatsingapore.com if you're looking for an English website. I know of a few Japanese people who post on it. Good luck!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 2:48 pm

Just curious as to why you would want your kids to remain in the Japanese system... none of my business of course, just wondering... (oops, that was very assuming of me: are you or your spouse Japanese?)

I know quite a few Japanese people in SG, and an increasing number of them are putting their kids into non-Japanese International Schools so their kids are exposed to diferent systems/cultures and langauge for a while.

However, a few are with the Japanese school and all of them seem very happy.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 6:31 pm

yuks wrote:... at www.mangosteen.com.sg which is the japanese expat site ...
Also try www.singaweb.net (日本語)
敬具

Okyakusan

Post by Okyakusan » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll check out those sites (or more accurately show them to my wife, as she's the native Japanese speaker).

As for why we want to keep our kids in the Japanese school system, I should first point out that we are assuming we'll be in Singapore indefinitely. Given that, we want to make sure the kids will be able to grow up to be native speakers of Japanese, since that's where we expect they will spend their adult lives. It will be a lifetime handicap for them if they aren't able to read, write & speak Japanese fluently. I speak English to them, and what with learning English in school as well, that should be enough English. Furthermore, we want them to grow up with a solid sense of national identity.

I agree though that if we were a Japanese couple posted to Singapore for just a few years we too would probably take the opportunity to expose our kids to native English.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 1:28 pm

I used to tutor some kids from the Japanese school in English, as the school apparently didn't give them a lot of exposure - obviously if they speak English with their dad this will be less of a problem.

The parents of these kids were happy with the school and seemed to have built up quite a rapport with each other (which will be great for your wife). I know the school has special days for mums and dads to come along and participate - it sounds really friendly.

Do they have a website?

Post by Guest » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 4:11 pm

They do. It's http://www.sjs.edu.sg/ (with an English section you can click through to, if you're interested). Of course from reading that we can get some idea of what the school is striving for, but no good feel for how well they are achieving it. For example, they stress the extra effort they put into English language instruction above what the standard Japanese curriculum requires, but from what you say it's clearly not 100% successful. Nonetheless I'm glad to hear that the students seem to enjoy the school, which is important. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

By the way, I failed to mention in all this that my kids only have Japanese nationality, which is why we want them to go there in the first place.

Post by Guest » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:52 pm

hi - would like to know if anyone can conduct private tutorial in the english language for my step-children - they visit from japan twice a year so the lessons need to be pretty intensive.

Mimi

Re: Looking for opinions on the Japanese school

Post by Mimi » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 3:52 pm

Okyakusan wrote:We are moving to Singapore from Japan and want our children to continue in the Japanese educational system. We were wondering what the reputation of the school is and how the two campuses (Clementi and Changi) differ, besides of course location. Does anyone reading this board send their children to the Japanese school? or perhaps have a friend/neighbor/colleague who does, or has heard talk about it in some other way? Any experience or views that you could share would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi, I'm Japanese married to an American. I teach English to Japanese ladies here in Singapore. I can introduce them to your wife if you like. please contact me at [email protected] She can write to me in Japanese.