Singapore Expats Forum

HMV Heeren - Poor Customer Service

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

su

HMV Heeren - Poor Customer Service

Postby su » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:44 am

[b]In June 2005, I purchased the original soundtrack of Japanese movie "Last Quarter" (a.k.a. Kagen No Tsuki) from an online shopping website.

However, I only realized it was a copy-control CD, after I opened up the parcel. This copy-control CD said I needed to install a special program from the CD to my computer, in order to play it. Because the CD would not play in a normal CD player, due to copy-control reasons.

I was disappointed, since I wanted to play it from a CD player, without the hassle of switching on the computer to play it every time.

Therefore, I called up HMV Heeren in Singapore to find if they carried this soundtrack. I made a reserved copy through the phone, so I could go down to see if it was also a copy-control CD, like the one I bought online.

On Saturday 23 July, I went to the 3rd floor of HMV Heeren to collect my reservation. Catherine was the staff who attended to me at the counter, looking quite reluctant to serve her customer. She asked me for my paid receipt. I told her it was a phone-in reservation, hence no purchase was made. She then proceeded to search for my reserved copy under the counter.

The reserved CD she handed me look identical to my online-purchased, but I needed to confirm if it was really not the original Japan-import copy-control soundtrack.

Catherine told me it "was not copy-controlled" and it "could be played in a normal CD player". I was doubtful and wanted to test-listen to it in their player. She blurted out in a most unfriendly tone of voice that they would not allow Japan-import CDs to be browse-listened, and insisted her point.

Later, her other colleague Alvin politely came to help the matter. My friend beside me then asked if it was a copy-control CD. To find out, Alvin opened up the external plastic packaging, slid out the CD and showed us the labeled sticker "COPY CONTROL". The sticker was previously hidden from view by the bar-code label on the external packaging, so nobody could actually see it at all.

I rejected that CD, as it was finally found out to be the same imported copy-control CD I bought online. Catherine did not bother to apologize about her initial false claim that it was “not copy-controlled”

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:22 am

ok, listen you racist pig - first of all you need to realize that this type of service is part of the cultural identity of Singapore. It is wrong of you to expect anything better - and pointing it out like this is just a sign of your cultural bias. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM - NOT THAT YOUNG LADY BEHIND THE COUNTER. In fact, you are SUPPOSED TO ENJOY THIS BAD SERVICE because it is what makes Singapore "Special." SO get with the program - and just enjoy it!

Amazed

Postby Amazed » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:33 am

Wham wrote:ok, listen you racist pig - first of all you need to realize that this type of service is part of the cultural identity of Singapore. It is wrong of you to expect anything better - and pointing it out like this is just a sign of your cultural bias. YOU HAVE A PROBLEM - NOT THAT YOUNG LADY BEHIND THE COUNTER. In fact, you are SUPPOSED TO ENJOY THIS BAD SERVICE because it is what makes Singapore "Special." SO get with the program - and just enjoy it!

Wham its very uncalled for to call the poster a racist pig. he or she has a right to put this information here and to vent his frustration at the poor service. he is talking about 'sporean' a nationality, the occupants of this country, not a race!!

and as in the other post where someone was saying- rudeness and lack of courtesy is nothing to be proud of and what an embarrasement for the country if they consider it their "cultural identity". Imagine the slogan "lets all be rude together" for National Day Parade.

Dont be daft Wham!

I am a Malaysian who has lived here for 15 years as well as numerous other countries, I have been in the corporate world as well as worked as a maid, waitress, dishwasher here and all over the world. I came from the service industry myself and i can tell you that 80% of the level of service here is appalling!

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:39 am

I am sorry for the confusion - i was being sarcastic!!! Also, I have been critcised endlessly by others on another thread for pointing out that common courtesy is lacking here.

However, THANK YOU for agreeing with my general thoughts on this:

[/quote]"I am a Malaysian who has lived here for 15 years as well as numerous other countries, I have been in the corporate world as well as worked as a maid, waitress, dishwasher here and all over the world. I came from the service industry myself and i can tell you that 80% of the level of service here is appalling![/quote]"

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:42 am

Needless to say, i was accepted to work in HMV earlier this year. Had i served you, you'd have been full of praise of Singaporean service. ;)

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:05 am

Stefania, THAT is a refreshing post. You sound like you have a wonderful attitude. GOOD LUCK in whatever you end up doing!!!

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Postby stefania » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:48 am

Why, thank you Wham. Have a nice day and remember to smile at everyone, even the most grouchiest, grumpiest, rudest boozo. Why? Because it takes less muscles, makes you feel healthier and eventually someone will smile back! :D

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:59 am

Wham.. these things about rude Singaporeans has to stop...not all Singaporeans are like that. Its all in the upbringing. If say your parents have taught you the wrong things then maybe you'll turned out similarly rude. But in general no parents are out to teach their kids bad stuff right.. So it is the individuals that has a problem not the nation.

So I say you quit.. or you'll be well hated on this forum. Sorry to say this but like Eric says when you point a finger at someone the other four is pointing at you. I am sure there are a lost of rude people in the world ..just that you have been very unlucky stumbling across these people here does not mean we all are.

So please smile a little bit more be friendly and maybe people HERE will learn to be nice just like you.
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:14 pm

Alfalfa, first of all, i smile at people all day long. I ran 5 miles this morning and greeted and smiled at many people along the way - and most of them smiled back. This is what i do most of the time when i am out and about.

However, apparently my CRIME is that when someone else pointed out that there the is a problem with below average COMMON COURTESY in Singapore - i agreed. When i was attacked by the thought police on this site for agreeing - i defended my arguement. However, I never set out to attack Singaporeans - i just agreed with the stated post.

I have also pointed out that even the government seems to think that Singaporeans could profit from a higher level of courtesy - and i agree. BUT - I don't think that AGREEING with the Government is ATTACKING Singaporeans. Relax... this is just a forum where people exchange ideas - if you don't like my ideas - that is ok by me...

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 3:46 pm

i am a singaporean and i know how bad some of our local services can go. whether you are working for hmv or not, that is not my problem.

i would like you to know that on the same day when i went to a mcdonald's outlet at chinatown point, the staff who served me had an attitude that was so much better than that lady who served me at hmv. he never banged things around at the counter like her, while serving the customer!

so even if catherine herself had a bad mood day, does that give her the right to treat her customers like they were some nuisance? does it even hurt to say sorry? what if i have already paid that $72 for the CD?

anyway, i have made this issue known to hmv management.

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 5:45 pm

Alfalfa, you should know that a leopard never changes its spots. Do you think someone who called other racist pig knows the meaning of courtesy? And he had the stupid gut to admit that he was being sarcastic.

A pig will always remains as a pig, the same applies to people like Wham.

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 5:57 pm

I don't belive in this.. a leopard is a leopard but I believe people change.. in this case its just the situations and circumstances that makes Wham say the things he said earlier.. but I am assuming that he is nothing like that in person.

So peace to all...no grudges no hatred ... :D
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

Postby Guest » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:16 pm

Guest and Alfalfa, you really might want to consider lightening up a little - i thought a little sarcasm was a refreshing approach to the old "complain about service in sing" posting. After all - i get yelled at whenever i AGREE that service is not so bad - so i thought a freah new reply might be in order. It certainly beats the old "yea - you go! Service Sucks" type of reply...

Would you feel better if i said - "maybe she was having a bad day?" or "i would be angry if i had to work at HMV also!" or "Why were you buying such a lousy video in the first place?"