Singapore Expats Forum

Artists' events/associations/practices/activities

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Artists' events/associations/practices/activities

Postby Kimi » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 7:23 am

Is there a club/circle/association of artists particularly for actors and actresses to practice theatre skills here in Singapore?
Or perhaps an acting school or alike?
Would there be job opportunities for actors/actresses esp. non-Singaporeans here? Particularly non-Asian ones considering if the market does exist, one would think it's quite a niche market, but still better than nothing... Was wondering what the possible opportunities are like.
If such club/association doesn't exist yet, would anybody be interested to form such a group/body/circle?

Cuchu
Regular
Regular

Postby Cuchu » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:05 am

Local theather groups. No money, and probably put you to work helping build set and such but great experience, so I am told.

Postby Guest » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:07 am

I did some acting when I was a kitten {school and local theater}. If you're in school already {university/high school}, most have a drama club you can join. Many places also have local theaters that are always looking for new blood. But it's like most 'businesses'. Seniority has some value so you usually don't start off in a starring role but the maid, sister-in-law. Speech class, if available, is also a good move. Helps with elocution.

My first stage role was one of Bob Cratchits sons. My lines were "We saw the goose. We were at the butcher's shop and we saw the goose." But it was embarrassing telling everyone my character was called 'boy'.

Go to plays. This will give you an idea of how you need to project your voice and pesonality on stage, how to do the appropriate hand / head movements, etc. Not strictly translatable to movies or tv but if you wish to be an actress, you'll someday by 'live'.

Practice, practice, practice. Using a mirror will help you get the facial expressions down. I had one of the ugliest crying faces until I saw it in the mirror. I trained myself not to look so weird.

Good luck! I hope you make it to the stage and/or big screen. Ummm. Can I get a free pass if you do? :wink:

crabathor

Postby crabathor » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:09 am

Spend a long time studying other people during your day. Try to copy the body positions that different people use. Pick a character and try to imagine and act how that character might react in certain situations. Pick up some plays and read the lines, try reading them in as many different ways as possible.

That's a good start.

Postby Guest » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:11 am

Books to read:
-Voice Power by Joan Kenley (focus is on breathing to improve vocal delivery for anyone including actors)-exercises suggested; think of it as a maintenance guide for the voice!
-The Actor: A Pratical Guide to a Professional Career by Eve Brandstein (more for TV and film, but tips help anyways)

Scan the Newspapers of area colleges/universities to see if theatre groups are auditioning or there are guest speakers in to talk about the "craft" of acting; find out if cultural centres or community centres have a newsletter/bulletin listing events for fall/winter involving acting; read the entertainment weekly publications for workshops or free lectures; read the library news boards/seasonal brochures for acting events/exhibitions.

Volunteer with a community group (script readings) or see if you can join the campus theatre clubs.

Practice your favourite plays/musicals at home Hey, read Shakepearean plays aloud. Who would you be? What kind of voice would you use for the character? Where are two or more friends to read the other roles with you? Party...

Watch other actors in action live-do you prefer certain kinds of plays, or monologues or sketch comedy? Variety shows? Community festivals/contests can be where you test your material.

Cuchu
Regular
Regular

Postby Cuchu » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 8:35 pm

Worse thing to do is nothing. If someone is serious about acting, their future employeers are going to look at what you have done and studied, but most likely done.

crabathor

Postby crabathor » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 8:37 pm

There's really no substitute for trying it I guess. I studied acting at uni before moving to study my present field. Everyone's advice so far has been spot on.

Postby Guest » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 8:38 pm

The best way that I know is through observation. Go to a cafe, sit in the corner and just watch people. What is it that make people look happy? Sad? Excited? What do they do when they're just sitting along? Does that girl like the cute boy she's with? Have they just broken up? How can you tell? And how could you make people believe the same about you?

Shopping centres & public places are also really good. If you really want to work on a particular character, pick someone & follow them around (subtley!), watch what they do in all sorts of situations. Look at what sorts of habits they have, if their posture changes, etc. Try and feel their emotions.

When it gets to practicing, if you can, sometimes setting up a camera can help. If you're interested in stage acting, set it up so that it's zoomed way out, and subtle facial expressions can't be seen, but you have a bit of space to work with.

Look for annoying habits, body position, how you move, etc etc.

Postby Guest » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 8:40 pm

Look for some local plays and whatnot to build up experience. They'll be awful, but once you get comfortable onstage you'll be able to move onto better troups. Usually every locality has some form of summer stock theater, especially in countries with an anglo tradition.