Singapore Expats Forum

is't legal kill these suspects now in London?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

let's start same in SG

is't legal kill these suspects now in London?

Postby let's start same in SG » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 5:49 pm

'Shoot to kill'

Members of the public have been warned not to approach the suspects, whose movements are listed below:

* The first image showed a man in a black sweater running away from Oval station's Northern Line at 1234 BST on Thursday. Police believe he had travelled north from Stockwell. His top was later found in nearby Brixton.

* The second image showed a man on the number 26 bus travelling from Waterloo to Hackney Wick. He got off the bus at Hackney Road at about 1306 BST.

* The third image showed a man leaving Warren Street station at 1239 BST.

* Police believe the man pictured at Westbourne Park station at 1221 BST travelled west on the Hammersmith and City Line to Shepherd's Bush, where he ran from the station.

Scotland Yard has urged anyone who knows the whereabouts of the men captured on CCTV to call 999.
They said if they could identify any of them they should call the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.

The Muslim Council of Britain said they were concerned about a possible police "shoot to kill" policy.

Roodie

Postby Roodie » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 6:19 pm

The dangers inherent in this type of 'policy' are:

1 that there is always a possiblity of killing the wrong/innocent person

2 the police will have to be given wide range of powers. .

3 legitimacy in terms of utlization of these wide powers.

To start doing this in Singapore would be nothing but a DISASTER because it involves a very highly specialized training of the police officers working in this area of policing :roll:

Thank you.

Sir Ian

Postby Sir Ian » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 6:26 pm

Sir Ian says "don't listen to rumours". The British police are fighting criminals, not members of any community.

The only person who starts with this "shoot to kill" rumour is the Muslim clergy. After that, all the media kept repeating what he said. From what I observe, it's ALL rumours.

The BBC website contained clearer answers but non of the various media are bothered to report them. The truth of the matter is that the suspect was told to keep still and show his hands away from parts of his body where he might be able to trigger pull-chords or push-buttons that is connected to a hidden bomb. The police are working in a very sensitive situation. If a bomb is detonated, then many onlookers will die, and the media will be just as quick to point fault. The answer to this is very clear - the suspect must obey the commands to keep still and put his hands well away from his clothing. If he moves his hands, the police have very little choice except to incapacitate him.

The police also have very little choice of target to shoot at. Any part of his body that is covered by clothing is liable to trigger a hidden bomb, therefore they have to shoot at an exposed part. And it is no use if the suspect is still able to detonate a bomb despite being shot already. I'll leave it to readers how they think they can solve the problem.

Having said all that, let me come full circle. It is patently obvious that the most important objective of the police (second to saving the lives of the public) is to capture the suspect alive. The suspect holds a treasure trove of information waiting to be tapped. If at all possible for the police to capture him alive, you can bet your whole life savings that the police will do so. I cannot imagine any other source of information that can be better than what the police can learn if they had him alive. So I am really amazed that anybody may imagine that the police were out to kill that suspect. Maybe if they have already captured 100 suspects, they might not be so concern over the life of the 101th suspect. But this is the very first suspect, and his life is actually worth it's weight in gold.

real life

Postby real life » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:13 pm

I think it's fair enough kill few innocent Arabs if they look like terrorists, why not? They try kill us, why we can't respond?

Tonay

Postby Tonay » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:50 pm

Simply not acceptable or justifiable :!:

robby

terror

Postby robby » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 2:14 am

its sad whats happing in the world to day think might migrate to mars anbody up for it

Postby Guest » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 5:04 pm

Roodie wrote:The dangers inherent in this type of 'policy' are:

1 that there is always a possiblity of killing the wrong/innocent person

2 the police will have to be given wide range of powers. .

3 legitimacy in terms of utlization of these wide powers.

To start doing this in Singapore would be nothing but a DISASTER because it involves a very highly specialized training of the police officers working in this area of policing :roll:

Thank you.

You can say this again.

Postby Guest » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 5:06 pm

It was 'AIM AT THE HEAD' and not the usual 'AIM AT THE CHEST', did you know :?:

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 1:43 am

real life wrote:I think it's fair enough kill few innocent Arabs if they look like terrorists, why not? They try kill us, why we can't respond?

So 2 wrongs make a right and you justify killing based on appearance alone? How does that make you any different from a terrorist? People like you scare the hell out of me. You need to get real, real life! :evil: