Singapore Expats Forum

Being Return With Lot of Coins?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Being Return With Lot of Coins?

Postby elizabeth » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 9:27 am

What would you do if you help your collegue to buy lunch every day and she will always pay in back in coins.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:01 am

Unlike some people I know, I would say thank you as I would rather be paid back in some kind of currency rather than not paid back at all.

I saved my $1 and 50cent coins for a couple of years and bought a round trip airfare back to the eastcoast of the US a couple of years ago (was ~ $2200 in coins when I cashed them in (bloody POSB charged me $8 to cash them in).

I always give the rest of my change to my kids (they never complain after learning that by watching the pennies and nickles the dollars will take care of themselves.

sms

Postby Guest » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:11 pm

holy crap!!! wow!~!~! 2200....that must of took a lot of patience....I try to save dollar coins too but I usually end up spending them when they reach 10 or 15......hahaha....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 1:18 pm

Yes it does take patience, but what I do is now a habit. My coinpot stays in the back of my socks drawer so while I know it's there I don't actually see it, just reach back inside the drawer and drop in the coins. I also make a habit never to spend coins unless it is a vending machine. I'll always break a two dollar bill instead. This usually ends up being 2 - 3 dollars a day sometimes. In the photo below I thinks there is about $1400 currently in there. When it gets full it will again be about $2200 depending on the ratio of $1 to .50 coins. which will be about half of my new laptop! And to think, it's just chump change while it's in your pocket!

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 3:02 pm

This story about the payback with coins reminds me of a what a friend does when people ask to borrow money. He says "please - do me a favor - don't ask to borrow $10 - just ask if you can HAVE $10..." Most people will pause, and they say "ok, can i HAVE $10?" - to which he will reply " NO!!! DO YOU THINK I'M CRAZY! - why would i give you my money"

I would be honest with your friend and say something like "thanks but no thanks - just pay me when you have some paper." You will feel liberated.

Re: Being Return With Lot of Coins?

Postby Guest » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:54 am

elizabeth wrote:What would you do if you help your collegue to buy lunch every day and she will always pay in back in coins.

Quite an easy solution, just buy on alternate days, and get her to buy for you, on the days, you don't buy.

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Being Return With Lot of Coins?

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:04 am

Anonymous wrote:
elizabeth wrote:What would you do if you help your collegue to buy lunch every day and she will always pay in back in coins.

Quite an easy solution, just buy on alternate days, and get her to buy for you, on the days, you don't buy.

She dont go out for lunch at all.. So me and other always have to buy for her..:(

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:09 am

Elizabeth, just tell her you hate keeping coins. And tell her that you would appreciate receiving notes for payment instead. I mean if you don't say it she will never get it. Such people do exist unfortunately. Matters could get better ...she might not even ask you to buy her lunch anymore..:) that will be good isn't it?
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:19 am

Thanks Alfalfa

I will try.. But I heard my other collegue told her that she might coins she told her she dun have any note with her.. When asked her why got got so much coins.. she said whenever she took a taxi.. the cabby always return her with lots of coins..

Alfalfa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Alfalfa » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:26 am

Be strong .. and let her know that you only accept notes then. At least she knows you mean business.. :) Evil me right :twisted: lol
We'll get along fine as soon as you realize I'm Good.

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 9:43 am

Alfalfa wrote:Be strong .. and let her know that you only accept notes then. At least she knows you mean business.. :) Evil me right :twisted: lol

Thank i will be strong i tell her off.. If not, may be dun help her to get lunch at all. she can go the our cantee

sved

Postby sved » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:41 am

If you don't feed here, she will starve to death ?

Maybe you can propose her to change for once ?
She may go to buy lunch for everybody ...
"Today, it's your turn, here are the coins !"
Forgive my english, still learning ...

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:48 am

Hmm i have been working with her for 3yrs.. we only went out for lunch less than 10times.. she is always busy busy with work.. anyway my boss is her uncle..

so no change at all she go out alone to buy lunch for the rest of us..